Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: She Is Here!
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Goblins
At last, the beautiful Cordelia has arrived from Greece. wub.gif For those that don't know, she was one of the dogs that I couldn't leave behind after working voluntarily at a shelter there for a few months earlier this year.

The lovely Josephine, formerly her friend at the shelter, has been with me for three weeks. She's currently appalled and busily guarding me, the sofas, the food and water and everything else that she thinks is hers but is actually mine. unsure.gif I'm torn between excitement that they are HERE, both HERE and SAFE, and sheer terror that they are going to loathe each other ever more.

Stories of acquiring your second dog and how they settled in, please? And useful hints and tips for establishing a peaceful household? I've called in the reinforcements so that there will be at least one person per dog in the next few minutes but I've only ever had one dog at a time and this is really new territory for me now.

Somebody pat my head. unsure.gif
Iluvgsds
WoW! I think Josephine will eventually accept her new pack member.
mattsdogs
I'll pat you on the head smile.gif

Firstly remember you have lots of time to introduce them properly, there is no rush, don't put them in a situation where they have something to fight over- no toys/bones ect left out when your not there to supervise, i've just had 2 romanian dogs over, i was told mona was dog aggressive, that was sunday, this evening she's been out with my lot - supervised smile.gif
First i give them a couple of days of complete seperation - so they can get used to each others smells ect and not have chance to fall out, they could meet her when she was crated in the same room - ( i have to have safety first here as i have 12 dogs here at the mo)
Then i'd walk her through them holding her collar- no lead as they all get excited, they just learn that the new dog is ok smile.gif i don't take them all out together here to introduce them as mine either love a dog wheich has no reaction or may go mad if they have a go at them, not good for tehm as a pack, done right they'll be best friends smile.gif

I do hope it all goes well smile.gif x
messydesk
I swear by Patrica McConnell's book Feeling Outnumbered. It's only short but it really helped me with our second dog and all the fosters we've had since.

Good luck, it can take a while but it's lovely when it works out.

wub.gif
saru
First of all, congratulations smile.gif

We were in a similar position last year, we got Sauron and 4 weeks later we got Loki, both male, both roughly the same age and both hounds.

To begin with, plenty of on lead walks away from the house and anything Josephine could see as hers, marching along and don't give them too much time to get interested in each other but more to get them used to being in each others presence. When they start sniffing the same smells and showing signs of wanting to interact with each other then you are on the right road. Remove all toys and when you do feel it's ok for them to play, supervise them closely removing the toys and giving time out at the least little sign of possessiveness. V. important....feed them in separate areas at first and make sure there is no chance of food guarding. Don't give either of them a lot of attention, build that up gradually.

We have been incredibly lucky with ours, they are the best of friends and partners in crime lol.gif but there were teething problems. All you can do is identify them and deal with them as they come along.

Good luck and enjoy smile.gif
jackied
We introduced Lucy to Twix last November, and he's a dog that generally doesn't get on with other dogs. We had teething problems over the first few weeks but everything worked out fine. smile.gif

I bought Feeling Outnumbered book too. As well as the no toys, no treats, no food in the same room to start with, we put loads of beds everywhere because there was a bit of jostling for those. Taking them in the garden where there was more space when things looked to be getting heated also helped.

Most things they can now share fine - we still have to separate them for bones, kongs, and treat balls but that's no problem.
celia
I was very very lucky when I introduced Beth. Barney had met her once at the rescue and for a long walk then we went back and fetched her. One little grumble when he realised she was going to share his back seat but nothing more. When we got home OH walked her around the house and garden and I took Barney for a walk alone. It was the only time I have ever known him keen to end the walk. When we returned they were both very excited and played for ages. I had removed all toys so Barney found the basket of fir-cones and presented them one by one to his new friend. I really had no problems whatsoever but most of this was because Beth has such exquisite manners and because Barney is a soft touch when it comes to pretty girls. wub.gif
algernonfatpants
pictures please!
jackied
PS we found it worked better with soft toys to buy 2 identical new toys rather than get the old ones out that Twix regarded very much as His Duck and His Grouse. Chew toys and balls weren't so much of a problem.
Goblins
QUOTE(algernonfatpants @ 28th Mar 2012, 11:37 am) *

pictures please!

Your wish is my command!

Thank you for the stories and advice. My lovely girls are getting along a bit better today and I'm feeling less anxious after a good night of sleep.
Holy_Smoke
No wonder you couldn't leave her behind, she's lovely!
algernonfatpants
bloody hell shes gorgous! xx how old is she?
KB Merlin's Mum
She is stunning. Wow. wub.gif wub.gif
Goblins
Thank you! She's an older girl but VERY bouncy. I've had age estimates between five and nine but she's such a lively little soul that I think she's on the younger end of that range.

She's been at the shelter for at least three years. sad.gif Even if she ends up just being a foster dog, her life in the UK was absolutely worth the expense of bringing her home.
Auntie Ange
Those teeth certainly don't look nine years old, so unless they are false lol.gif I would say she is certainly no more than five, if that. Ange
algernonfatpants
did you pay for them to come over?
muttlover2
Bloody gorgeous!
Goblins
I did. I had Josephine brought home privately, and Cordelia came back with the Friends of the Stays of Greece team.

Cordelia went off-lead this morning. She bounces instead of runs and loves to play. wub.gif
algernonfatpants
Do think we need more pictures of them together! what is their full names again?
soooz
Oh my........I can see exactly why you couldn't leave her behind. She's beautiful & puts me in mind of my Aster (A Catalan Sheepdog), with her flowing locks & gorgeous soulful eyes........

More pics, please!!

.X.
Soooz.
lolbeck
For those that haven't so far ventured in to your Volunteering Abroad thread, I hope you won't mind me putting the link and drawing their attention to Cordelia's 'before' picture (8th picture down) - the transformation is stunning!!! I can see why she was adjudged to be an 'older dog' to begin with though I too would question her age now that she is in tip top condition. smile.gif

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...3&hl=abroad

There are also the 'before' pictures of Josephine................... wub.gif You clearly saw what others couldn't..........

You are a remarkable woman, Goblins, and I hope you and your girls have many happy years together. flowers.gif

algernonfatpants
[quote name='
You are a remarkable woman, Goblins, and I hope you and your girls have many happy years together. flowers.gif
[/quote]

couldnt agree more with this, you so are goblin.
jackied
She is absolutely beautiful. I would have fallen for her as well.
Goblins
QUOTE(algernonfatpants @ 29th Mar 2012, 12:02 pm) *

Do think we need more pictures of them together! what is their full names again?

Oh twist my arm, why don't you! Presenting Dr. Josephine Calliope Jellybean Notadog and Professor Cordelia Felicity Plum:

QUOTE(lolbeck @ 29th Mar 2012, 1:56 pm) *

For those that haven't so far ventured in to your Volunteering Abroad thread, I hope you won't mind me putting the link and drawing their attention to Cordelia's 'before' picture (8th picture down) - the transformation is stunning!!! I can see why she was adjudged to be an 'older dog' to begin with though I too would question her age now that she is in tip top condition. smile.gif

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...3&hl=abroad

There are also the 'before' pictures of Josephine................... wub.gif You clearly saw what others couldn't..........

Thank you, all of you, for being so supportive. wub.gif I know that the situation over here is far from ideal without muppets like me bringing home half the contents of a foreign dog shelter, but your support has made the world of difference to me. I'm so pleased to 'know' you all.
emmak
Wow what a stunner! wub.gif wub.gif No wonder you couldn't leave her behind ohmy.gif

When Heidi came home Sydney was just so pleased to have a companion that he climbed in bed with her on the first night ohmy.gif wub.gif Heidi was quick to point out that she wasn't that kind of girl and quickly jumped out, grumbling. It wasn't long before they were snuggled up together wub.gif
kats n greys
wub.gif Lovely, lucky dogs.

There's not right or wrong when you fall in love with a dog or two smile.gif They were both in need, doesn't matter where they are from.

We have a spanish rescue and we often use peoples interest in her to explain the situation for podencos and galgos in Spain crying.gif
algernonfatpants
I think a dog is a dog where ever they are from. they are so so lovely specially cordellia xx I wants her so i do!
algernonfatpants
I think cordelias more a countess or a lady than a professor, she doesnt look serious enough! josephine does though!
saru
QUOTE(kats n greys @ 30th Mar 2012, 4:48 pm) *

wub.gif Lovely, lucky dogs.

There's not right or wrong when you fall in love with a dog or two smile.gif They were both in need, doesn't matter where they are from.

We have a spanish rescue and we often use peoples interest in her to explain the situation for podencos and galgos in Spain crying.gif

Same here smile.gif

Both your dogs are gorgeous, well done. XX
Trailhoundann
What lovely girls, no wonder you could not leave them behind wub.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.