Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kennel Club Good Citizens
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
coinsky
There is a training club near me holding the tests next week and have said that I can go along to do them (bronze on an evening and then silver/gold on the weekend)

Two questions......

I have forgotten what the criteria is for each one, does anyone have an good site to get the exact rooolz please? smile.gif

And...I am going to attempt all 3 with the Kofster ( yikes.gif ) but not sure what to put Shilah down for. Obedience wise he could do all 3 but I'm not sure about he closeness to other dogs.

I did Gold with Starsky who was FA and if I remember rightly you had to mill about in a group of dogs and leave them there and then call them out?? Is that still part of it? unsure.gif

Neither of them have had much training in village hall type settings and will never have been to this hall before so it will be all strange dogs/surrounding etc so not sure what to enter them for!

Thank you. flowers.gif
pangolin
The KC website lists all the exercises for each level smile.gif Click the PDF links here - http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3691

The bit you explained about doing with Starsky sounds a bit like exercise 6 in the Silver level unsure.gif
nikirushka
Beat me to it, I was just about to post that lol.gif
coinsky
QUOTE(pangolin @ 12th Mar 2012, 1:54 pm) *

The KC website lists all the exercises for each level smile.gif Click the PDF links here - http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3691

The bit you explained about doing with Starsky sounds a bit like exercise 6 in the Silver level unsure.gif

Ooh thanks, it might have been in the silver. They did both tests in the same day (as this one is) and it was years ago so I really can't remember.

Will go look at the link, thanks!! smile.gif
coinsky
Aaarghh first hurdle! rolleyes.gif

My dogs had tags that slipped on their collars with the details of the place in Scotland. Because I am only staying with my mum, they have at the mo just go those barrel type tags with paper in as I will get the expensive ones when I have moved.

Will the barrel tags be ok or must they be engraved tags? unsure.gif
Dalsmum
It does say 'inscribed'

name and the address of the owner inscribed on the collar/disc to take part.
pangolin
The KC have a page about ID tags

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379
"The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag."

If they follow that then written tags should be fine unsure.gif Maybe phone to confirm before you go/book it?
coinsky
Thanks I will check and get them some cheapy tags for now and then the proper ones when we move.

I might just put them both in for all 3 and just see what happens. unsure.gif It's only 3 per dog so the worst that will happen is that they will show me up and I will be embarrassed. lol.gif
pangolin
Good luck with it smile.gif
our little godsend
OI!! MISSUS! Missus OLG here tongue.gif get yourself jogging before you run smile.gif settle into your new life/job, meet up with the multitude of DP'ers in the area - have some fun times/walks etc. Worry about this other stuff another time when you are all settled tongue.gif Don't put yourselves under any more pressure than you need to be grin.gif

now i'll get my coat and leave cos i'm an interfering old biddy tongue.gif
tangojulie
QUOTE(pangolin @ 12th Mar 2012, 2:14 pm) *

The KC have a page about ID tags

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379
"The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag."

If they follow that then written tags should be fine unsure.gif Maybe phone to confirm before you go/book it?

I would double check this - as written, this says that a collar can be engraved or written, but a tag must be engraved.
our little godsend
I have just read back ohmy.gif if it's want you want to do cos it's near to you, go for it smile.gif for some stupid reason I was thinking that you were thinking about when you move to Wales rolleyes.gif probably cos i've got confused with the threads :doh:

Ignore me - i'm a prize twonk tongue.gif
coinsky
QUOTE(our little godsend @ 12th Mar 2012, 2:33 pm) *

OI!! MISSUS! Missus OLG here tongue.gif get yourself jogging before you run smile.gif settle into your new life/job, meet up with the multitude of DP'ers in the area - have some fun times/walks etc. Worry about this other stuff another time when you are all settled tongue.gif Don't put yourselves under any more pressure than you need to be grin.gif

now i'll get my coat and leave cos i'm an interfering old biddy tongue.gif

Shuddup you mad woman...I'm not moving till next month and the tests are at the end of this month. tongue.gif lol.gif

So just something to do while we are sat here and waiting and doing nuffink. wink.gif
coinsky
QUOTE(our little godsend @ 12th Mar 2012, 2:37 pm) *

I have just read back ohmy.gif if it's want you want to do cos it's near to you, go for it smile.gif for some stupid reason I was thinking that you were thinking about when you move to Wales rolleyes.gif probably cos i've got confused with the threads :doh:

Ignore me - i'm a prize twonk tongue.gif

I already did. lol.gif lol.gif tongue.gif
our little godsend
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

bulldozer
So you dogs get a feel of the hall before you take the tests, is there maybe a class you could join this week?
coinsky
QUOTE(bulldozer @ 12th Mar 2012, 4:26 pm) *

So you dogs get a feel of the hall before you take the tests, is there maybe a class you could join this week?

I could ask if maybe I could pop down and just do a class or even just practice a bit in the hall in between a class. I'm not sure because usually you have to be a member and pay for the whole term etc but as I am leaving here there is no point in joining. I used to on the committee so maybe they will let me, it would be good so that I can see how the dogs are in the hall. smile.gif
Vera
Check the rules on how many tests you can take in one go... I think you can only take 2 tests on the same day, not all 3. wink.gif
coinsky
QUOTE(Vera @ 12th Mar 2012, 4:57 pm) *

Check the rules on how many tests you can take in one go... I think you can only take 2 tests on the same day, not all 3. wink.gif

Bronze is being done on a Tuesday eve and then the silver and gold on the Saturday. smile.gif I might have to walk the boys 4987547 miles on the Friday so that they will walk nicely on the road test. lol.gif
jackied
That's interesting. Lucy is in a "Bronze" class - which they make clear is not the same as the KC Bronze. I was assuming that meant it was less rigorous. In fact we have to do loads more stuff to get our certificate!
woodysmum
Re tags ...maybe it's interpretation? maybe ask at the club.
I know we'd not long had Paddy when the tests came up so he had a basic written on tag and that was ok so long as the right info was on it .

At our club , normally two ot three dogs are tested at a time , in a village hall type setting that might be too much for Shy if he's never been there before ...another vote for a "test run" wink.gif
coinsky
QUOTE(woodysmum @ 12th Mar 2012, 6:23 pm) *

Re tags ...maybe it's interpretation? maybe ask at the club.
I know we'd not long had Paddy when the tests came up so he had a basic written on tag and that was ok so long as the right info was on it .

At our club , normally two ot three dogs are tested at a time , in a village hall type setting that might be too much for Shy if he's never been there before ...another vote for a "test run" wink.gif

I'm going along tomorrow night- not for a class but just to sit and watch and do a bit of work with them each in the corner (and assess how Shy is)

I have put them both down for all the tests as I can just choose to pull out at any stage if I feel like I don't want to continue. smile.gif
Lyntown
Am pretty sure I had the barrel type ID for Dyce when he did his Bronze and it was fine.
Vera
QUOTE(Lyntown @ 12th Mar 2012, 11:11 pm) *

Am pretty sure I had the barrel type ID for Dyce when he did his Bronze and it was fine.

It's not supposed to be sufficient to pass though some judges may well allow it.
coinsky
Just started to teach them both the go to bed thing for the Gold but before I carry on, is this ok? unsure.gif

It isn't really very natural, in that he doesn't look settled, but then I don't think he will be as he is waiting for the next command...?

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/k...rent=004-16.mp4

Thank you smile.gif

riotous_uk
that would do
misty11
Perfect smile.gif
coinsky
Thanks, are you allowed to give a down command if they don't automatically lie down? Shilah seems to stand there looking vacant for a few seconds. rolleyes.gif lol.gif
misty11
Yep, you can give as many commands as you like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.