Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Positive Training Based Dog Magazines?
Dogpages forums > General forums > Training and behaviour...
pangolin
It's my mum's birthday soon and with her getting the new pup, I was thinking about getting her a subscription to a doggy magazine or something - with the pup being a Collie cross, it certainly won't harm for her to get a few more ideas of activities to keep pup amused physically and mentally. Are there any dog magazines that only feature positive training methods - or at least, don't support CM type training (I've blabbed on to them enough about why CM stuff doesn't work and think it's all gone in luckily but I'd rather not give them a magazine that supports it)
Otherwise, any recommendations for a book that would help with a Collie x pup? I'm going to dig out my spare clicker so maybe a detailed book on clicker training, or something like that?
Miss_P
dogs today is the best one.

Gwen Bailey's how to train a superdog is good, as is Jean Macdonald's train your dog like a pro, that one has a DVD included too which is excellent. smile.gif
pangolin
Thanks, I ended up stumbling on a thread about another dog magazine which had good mentions of Dogs Today so got her a 4 month trial subscription (if she likes it, that's her Christmas present sorted too lol.gif ). Will check out those books smile.gif
Dalsmum
100 Ways to Train the Perfect Dog

Sarah Fisher (Author), Marie Miller (Author)
Lindsay
Agree with all the above, especially the Dogs Today recommendation, it's the best dog mag as far as modern training goes, definitely.
Macon
QUOTE(Lindsay @ 27th Jul 2010, 3:37 pm) *

Agree with all the above, especially the Dogs Today recommendation, it's the best dog mag as far as modern training goes, definitely.

Although, I'm sad to see that their training and behaviour section is now sponsored by Company of Animals and surrounded by promotional sections for spray collars / pet correctors. err.gif
Lindsay
QUOTE(Macon @ 27th Jul 2010, 4:58 pm) *

Although, I'm sad to see that their training and behaviour section is now sponsored by Company of Animals and surrounded by promotional sections for spray collars / pet correctors. err.gif

Oh is it? I've not noticed. That is a shame really.
I would still rate them though. They seem to have the only really good behaviour and training articles in, written from Ian Dunbar, David Appleby, Sarah Whitehead, Peter Neville and so on.
If there were no bad adverts, they'd be close to perfect smile.gif

Lindsay
x
kimthecat
Shame about the ads but hopefully it's just for the august one and not every month? err.gif
it is a great mag though and I get it on subscription as its much cheaper .
ali
jaz050465
I noticed that this month, was going to email them about it. Perhaps we all could.

Stay away from Dogs Monthly. I get so irate reading it. i had a subscription before I knew any better but have cancelled it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.