Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Weimaraner Owners?
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
tracey louch
just wanted to ask, how often do you need to clean their ears?
doggy.lover
My work colleague used to breed them so I'll ask him today smile.gif
tracey louch
thanks - that would be great smile.gif
kittypimms
Frank the Weimie gets ear cleans as needed. So, about once a month (more often if he's rolled in horribleness). He tends to do the hard work himself though, by dragging his head across the carpet...

I guess with your young un, getting her used to it asap would be a great idea, as Frank HATED having his done at first.

We did have to have him on those 'orrible drops when he first came home, as they'd probably not been done for a long time, and stank.

How is your lufferly squooshie poopie? I am still envy.gif
simbasmum
I don't have a weimeraner, but I have a very similar shaped Pointer thing in my house. His ears get 'olive oiled' every couple of weeks, does a great job cleaning them and soothing any irritation as he has a penchant for swimming in stinky water, and wallowing in filth like a pig mad.gif
kittypimms
QUOTE(simbasmum @ 14th Jun 2010, 11:44 am) *

I don't have a weimeraner, but I have a very similar shaped Pointer thing in my house. His ears get 'olive oiled' every couple of weeks, does a great job cleaning them and soothing any irritation as he has a penchant for swimming in stinky water, and wallowing in filth like a pig mad.gif

Ahhh... Eau de Gundog, what a wonderful thing! lol.gif
simbasmum
Mmmmm, yep. Stinky gundog.

He found a mudpit yesterday, he could do a duet of 'Ebony and Ivory' all on his own lol.gif
tracey louch
QUOTE(kittypimms @ 14th Jun 2010, 11:15 am) *

Frank the Weimie gets ear cleans as needed. So, about once a month (more often if he's rolled in horribleness). He tends to do the hard work himself though, by dragging his head across the carpet...

I guess with your young un, getting her used to it asap would be a great idea, as Frank HATED having his done at first.

We did have to have him on those 'orrible drops when he first came home, as they'd probably not been done for a long time, and stank.

How is your lufferly squooshie poopie? I am still envy.gif

I think Mia's not had them done for ages either - im cleaning them every 2nd day and using ear drops daily.
She's settling in fine - has spent most of the afternoon outside wrestling with Hershey and is now asleep next to me wub.gif
eloisecherry
Ooohh a Weimie puppy wub.gif wub.gif Any pics??

I have Nala who is a five year old ex puppy farm breeding Weimie and she arrived with her ears in an appalling state mad.gif mad.gif Turned out she had E coli and she need 3 lots of anitibiotics to clear it.

She is still prone to ear infections and so we try and clean them once a week (she hates it bless her angel.gif ) with Cleanaural to try and keep infections at bay.
bluediva
Must have the cleanest Weimeraner in the world - never had to clean his ears! ohmy.gif

Well he has to have one redeeming feature wub.gif wub.gif Does love having them rubbed though

Any excuse to post a pic - butter wouldn't melt! angel.gif

P.S. How's Nala doing? Especially with all the foster comings and goings?
kittypimms
QUOTE(tracey louch @ 14th Jun 2010, 5:09 pm) *

I think Mia's not had them done for ages either - im cleaning them every 2nd day and using ear drops daily.
She's settling in fine - has spent most of the afternoon outside wrestling with Hershey and is now asleep next to me wub.gif

That sounds about what we had to do with his horriblenesses ears when they were bad. And wub.gif to her settling in well!

QUOTE(eloisecherry @ 14th Jun 2010, 5:48 pm) *

Ooohh a Weimie puppy wub.gif wub.gif Any pics??

I have Nala who is a five year old ex puppy farm breeding Weimie and she arrived with her ears in an appalling state mad.gif mad.gif Turned out she had E coli and she need 3 lots of anitibiotics to clear it.

She is still prone to ear infections and so we try and clean them once a week (she hates it bless her angel.gif ) with Cleanaural to try and keep infections at bay.

wave.gif hello Mrs, not seen you about on here for a while. Hope lovely Nala is well wub.gif
muttlover
I've never cleaned my dog's ears. What does one do? I have noticed he does shake his head sometimes and I asked the vet who seemed to think he was fine but I never realised people did clean dog's ears.

plymgreys
Some dogs need their ears cleaned more often than others. Typically those with hairy and/or droopy ears need it done more often than upright, hairless ones, but there's no hard and fast rule. Lottie greyhound has hairless, slightly upright ears and looooooorrves having them massaged with a finger knuckle and makes a kind of satisfied moaning groan when we do it. We call it an eargasm. This removes a fair bit of, eh-hem, debris so I don't have to do anything else.
eloisecherry
QUOTE(bluediva @ 14th Jun 2010, 6:19 pm) *

Must have the cleanest Weimeraner in the world - never had to clean his ears! ohmy.gif

Well he has to have one redeeming feature wub.gif wub.gif Does love having them rubbed though

Any excuse to post a pic - butter wouldn't melt! angel.gif

P.S. How's Nala doing? Especially with all the foster comings and goings?

Nala wub.gif is doing really well thank you - I seemed to have, um, cough, splutter, "failed" again with one of my cavvy foster puppies! blush.gif Though to be fair I only failed with one out of the litter of five, so really I did quite well!! grin.gif She is a little blenheim girl called Fifi and Nala is really good with her. She puts up with her being irritating rolleyes.gif and cuddles and washes her.

Your boy is just so stunning! wub.gif Looks very similar to Nala too. You coming to the MT Fun Day in July?
eloisecherry
QUOTE(kittypimms @ 14th Jun 2010, 7:36 pm) *

That sounds about what we had to do with his horriblenesses ears when they were bad. And wub.gif to her settling in well!
wave.gif hello Mrs, not seen you about on here for a while. Hope lovely Nala is well wub.gif

Hiya wave.gif

Not been on much as had to move house unexpectedly and then Talktalk took FOREVER to reconnect me rolleyes.gif

How is the gorgeous Frank? wub.gif wub.gif
tracey louch
some Mia pics

eloisecherry
Oh WOW!! Tracey she is just wonderful wub.gif wub.gif

More than a little bit envy.gif envy.gif lol.gif

What's her story?

I have a lab too called Tilly - she is currently stinking and dirty rolleyes.gif We have just been for a walk in the driest quarry ever but she managed to disappear under a bush and come out minging!! yikes.gif yikes.gif
bluediva
Ooooh Mia - mine, please wub.gif She's gorgeous!

I never got to enjoy the puppy stage as always rescued, Blue was 18 mths when we got him.

P.S. You did well to fail Eloise, cav is so pretty wub.gif

P.P.S. Fun day sounds great but an awful long way with a tempremental car and a car sick Min Pin!
kittypimms
Tracey, is it me, or has she GROWN!!!! She is so beautiful wub.gif envy.gif

QUOTE(eloisecherry @ 15th Jun 2010, 6:46 am) *

Hiya wave.gif

Not been on much as had to move house unexpectedly and then Talktalk took FOREVER to reconnect me rolleyes.gif

How is the gorgeous Frank? wub.gif wub.gif

Crikey, hope all went well with the move? Congrats on the fail wub.gif
Frank is stinky wonderful thankyou - was his gotcha day last Monday - there's a thread somewhere with noo pics...

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=225714
eloisecherry
QUOTE(bluediva @ 15th Jun 2010, 11:16 am) *

Ooooh Mia - mine, please wub.gif She's gorgeous!

I never got to enjoy the puppy stage as always rescued, Blue was 18 mths when we got him.

P.S. You did well to fail Eloise, cav is so pretty wub.gif

P.P.S. Fun day sounds great but an awful long way with a tempremental car and a car sick Min Pin!

Genuinely wasn't my intention to fail with her! Poor little girl got reserved several times but the applications didn't go ahead for one reason or another, then she got poorly and had a bad chest, so by this time her little paws were well and truly under the table - think it was fate again!! As I've said before, I really DON'T do puppies!! rolleyes.gif lol.gif

There is camping availabe at the Fun Day so you could always stay over to break the travelling up! Would love to meet Blue and so would Nala! x
Claireand Daisy
I`ve never cleaned any of my dogs` ears. Not in 40 years of dogdom. Am I a Bad Mummy? unsure.gif
tracey louch
QUOTE(Claireand Daisy @ 15th Jun 2010, 3:19 pm) *

I`ve never cleaned any of my dogs` ears. Not in 40 years of dogdom. Am I a Bad Mummy? unsure.gif

not at all - ive never had to clean any of my dogs ears before.

I'll put my hands up and admit she's not a rescue, but she will be very much loved and cared for here.
A couple bought her, the guy had done all his research, put a lot of thought into it and convinced his wife. once the pup was home, the wife was totally against her, wanted nothing to do with her and they ended up arguing. We have been looking for a Weimaraner for ages, both in rescue and from decent breeders. Spotted her advertised and went to see her. The guy was absolutley gutted at having to rehome her. We came away and thought about it and collected her the next day. I've sent him an email with some pics so he can see how she's settling etc.
ramsey
I asked my friend who has a weimy and a viszla and she says she cleans their ears about every 2 weeks
kittypimms
QUOTE(tracey louch @ 15th Jun 2010, 3:26 pm) *

not at all - ive never had to clean any of my dogs ears before.

I'll put my hands up and admit she's not a rescue, but she will be very much loved and cared for here.
A couple bought her, the guy had done all his research, put a lot of thought into it and convinced his wife. once the pup was home, the wife was totally against her, wanted nothing to do with her and they ended up arguing. We have been looking for a Weimaraner for ages, both in rescue and from decent breeders. Spotted her advertised and went to see her. The guy was absolutley gutted at having to rehome her. We came away and thought about it and collected her the next day. I've sent him an email with some pics so he can see how she's settling etc.

But you've taken a dog from one situation, into a loving forever home. That's all that matters in my book.

Showed OH the pics... big mistake... he now wants another one..!!! wub.gif
doggy.lover
Hi I asked my friend who used to breed them and he says he checks his about once a week but they only usually need cleaning every couple of months, same as any other dog really smile.gif
eloisecherry
She is just stunning Tracey - look forward to hearing more about her and of course more pics!

I don't know if I would be able to trust myself if the option came up to foster a weimie pup - think I would be doomed to failure again!! lol.gif
bluediva
Good! Next one's mine!! wub.gif

My husband is now back on side to foster - if it's a Weimie lol.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.