Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poodles
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
kestla
I am starting this thread as the mention of Poodles seems to cause a debate.

I have many years experience of Poodles and my 1st job was in a well known Poodle establishment, in those days the only way to learn about clipping was an apprenticeship, I severed my time, learned a huge amount about dogs and I bought my own white min poodle, the 1st of many.
Here started my love of Poodles and they had about 100 of different sizes and colours, Apricot, Silver, Black and White

My last foster was Oliver a Black Toy Poodle with lots of issues, mainly biting as some one has taught him growling was bad, so straight in with the teeth IF he couldn`t get his own way.
Oliver had been a lap dog, carried every where, spoiled and given no boundaries he basically ruled the roost at 2 years old.
A few weeks with my girls and not allowed on knees, furniture and with work on his recall so he could have a good run and burn off his energy, Oliver was ready for re-homing.
We did have to house train him too err.gif and I put many hours of work in to Oliver to turn him around.
Oliver has a lovely nature he just was allowed to get away with too much and when he became a problem he was given to me as they couldn`t cope.

I will upload photo`s later when Photobucket allows.

So have your say, show us photo`s and tell the stories.

Crosses welcome too, sorry I forgot to mention those too.
Apache Rose
I've never had a Poodle but one day I would love to have a Standard one cause I've always loved them wub.gif
Fi
QUOTE(kestla @ 15th May 2010, 11:51 am) *

A few weeks with my girls and not allowed on knees,

Oops sorry blush.gif but we weren't there long flowers.gif and he was such a dear little soul wub.gif
kestla
QUOTE(Apache Rose @ 15th May 2010, 12:09 pm) *

I've never had a Poodle but one day I would love to have a Standard one cause I've always loved them wub.gif

Arr but what colour?

I have always wanted a Silver Min wub.gif wub.gif
Not many about but maybe one day wink.gif

See my prefered size in Miniatures, I just think they are nice not too small and go any where dogs, Poodles do seem to get noticed wub.gif
Caoimhe-Blyss
The cause for this big debate Miss Evee Leigh aka Madam

Evee is a poodle crossed with a shih tzu cross Lhasa Apso.

Normally Long coated she had to be taken to the groomer 3 months ago. I do need to get some more recent photos as her fur has actually grown back to a nice length now and shows off lovely but I will sort them out later

She is a madam with our other dog. Has severe separation anxiety but I am not foolish enough to say its her breed. We have made her like that unintentionally and now its going to be twice as hard to revert her but we will get there.

At the moment she is asleep under my computer table watching what's going on

here are a few photo's

Before Her cut:-

Fresh from the groomer:-

She has actually lost that gold colour and stayed the cream she is now.
kestla
QUOTE(Fi @ 15th May 2010, 12:12 pm) *

Oops sorry blush.gif but we weren't there long flowers.gif and he was such a dear little soul wub.gif

Thats ok, Oliver had learned to be nice when you visited lol.gif lol.gif

Yes he is a dear little soul now and I do miss him.

Fi, do you have a photo as I can`t get any to load?
Fi
QUOTE(kestla @ 15th May 2010, 12:19 pm) *

Thats ok, Oliver had learned to be nice when you visited lol.gif lol.gif

Yes he is a dear little soul now and I do miss him.

Fi, do you have a photo as I can`t get any to load?

Actually, we do, but techie man is off canoeing today so I'll ask him later smile.gif
Animal Magic
Here you go Chris. smile.gif

edit- photobucket isn't playing here either so I pinched the pic from one of your other posts.
ChrisBJB
As a ten year old a neighbour paid me (in sweets) to walk her black, male, standard poodle. She said he was a nightmare but he was simply used to getting his own way with her whereas I was bossy and used to telling my younger siblings what to do. He was so very clever and picked up on things really quickly. I've never met such a clever dog in the past five decades.
I sometimes see what I think is a brown standard poodle, with dreadlocks, but he has so much coat that I'm not sure - maybe he is a poodle cross - he walks along very calmly, in the town centre, without a lead.
Gezzie
I've never had a poodle but would quite like one doesn't matter what size smile.gif

My friends Mum used to have an Apricot coloured one called Pepe he was less than
knee high. He was lovely, a bit snappy with some people that he was unsure of but
other than that a real sweetheart.

One thing I shall always remember about him was whenever he went to 'the ponsing up parlour'
as they used to call it he would come home and totally snub them. Then at the first opportunity,
go straight out the garden dig the biggest hole he could and eventually come back into
the house when full of mud which he then proceeded to shake all over those who sent
him to the parlour lol.gif lol.gif He did this everytime without fail. Never did it when he had
a bath at home, only when he had been sent to the parlour. Obviously Pepe showing his
rebellious side rolleyes.gif
cosnochta
I'm owned by a poodle!

Pogo is a 9 month old brown toy poodle. He's the love of my life wub.gif (shhh...don't tell my OH!)
He is a total character, everyone loves him and he is more well-behaved than most adult dogs I've come across.

We train once a week, but in September we start agility together. (We'll be learning together...I've never done agility before)

He's also been recruited by PEATA (the Irish equivalent of PAT), but we have to wait till he's a year old before going ahead with that. (I nearly burst with pride when they approached me at our training club!)

It's nice to be able to boast about him here. My non-doggie friends just don't understand.

Ps. He doesn't normally have a silly red bow!

Pps. I'm obviously a terrible owner as I leave him alone when I go to work and I've never had a poodle before so have no poodle experience!!
ebd
I've never had a poodle, and TBH, had never really considered one, due to the stereotype of 'handbag dog'...

... until we started training with one at Agility class. Bonnie is a teensie tiny toy poodle, all of about 2-3 kg - and one of the best natural athletes I have ever seen.

She is amazing - smart as a whip, tough as nails, lightning fast, fearless, keen, motivated. She even puts the BCs to shame running the course. Most definitely not a handbag dog. lol.gif

(The only thing she has trouble with is the teeter-totter, because she doesn't weigh enough to tip it; they have to use a special setting for her. But Bonnie isn't fazed if the teeter doesn't totter - she just springs off the upturned end, and keeps running. ohmy.gif )

Off the Agility course she is a delight - fantastic doggy manners. She is one of the few dogs towards whom Nora wasn't reactive upon introduction.

Little Bonnie certainly changed my mind about Poodles. A whole lot of fantastic dog in a small package.
simbasmum
My two have been playing with a 9month old chocolate standard poodle in the park recently - she's bigger than Oscar already (though most might just be coat) but she is an utter lunatic. Her owners look completely frazzled lol.gif

I think they're nice dogs, but having attended a grooming championship with my friend (she's a journalist and was reporting on it) I think that there is a side to the poodle world that I can't get on board with.

I LOVE to see poodles acting like dogs, doing agility, obedience etc and they are so impressive.

I hate seeing them with stupid haircuts, painted toenails, dyed pink/green/blue/purple fur (this really riles me) and generally treated like toys rather than dogs.

It's that side of the poodle world that I think causes all the misconceptions. Some of the things I was 'shown' that day made me sick. I have a glamorous longcoated breed and wouldn't dream of doing any of the things to her.

cosnochta
QUOTE(simbasmum @ 15th May 2010, 1:02 pm) *

I hate seeing them with stupid haircuts, painted toenails, dyed pink/green/blue/purple fur (this really riles me) and generally treated like toys rather than dogs.

It's that side of the poodle world that I think causes all the misconceptions.

Seeing some of the photos of these poodles has made me very upset. I totally agree with you about the misconceptions too. People have commented about Pogo "would you not carry him and give the poor thing a rest" and things like that. Others have implied that it is cruel of me to even think of doing agility with him ("how could you put him through that"). It is frustrating and makes me realise that there are probably a lot of very sad poodles out there.

Pogo splashes in water, digs, rolls in poo, eats worms/slugs/disgusting things, initiates play with dogs more than 10 times his size, runs through brambles/holly bushes/hedges etc.

He's a cool dude! cool.gif

(but when there's no dogs around to impress....he likes a cuddle from his mammy wub.gif )
kestla
QUOTE(Animal Magic @ 15th May 2010, 12:38 pm) *

Here you go Chris. smile.gif

edit- photobucket isn't playing here either so I pinched the pic from one of your other posts.

Thanks Kerrie hug.gif
I love that photo of Oliver bouncing along all happy and full of life wub.gif wub.gif

I did show for many years and eventually gave up as SO disliked the people poodles seem to attract and their stupid, silly ideas.

my show dogs came home, top knots put in and they were treated like dogs, ran in fields, chased rabbits and even around our farm yard, I never lost any coat or such that was said I would.

To me poodles are FUN dogs, loyal companions, tough as old boots with individual characters and I hate to see them treated as lap dogs, pampered, spoiled and carried around like hand bags.

I did try agility with one of mine and my normally obedient good as gold girl used to forget all I taught her and do the agility course her way. She was 16" tall with big ears and every time she jumped her ears would flap like Dumbo`s, every one laughed and I was lost as she would give the spectators what they wanted to see. She was a clown and soppy and I loved her but she could be such a BAG lol.gif lol.gif

mum24dog
QUOTE(ebd @ 15th May 2010, 12:55 pm) *

I've never had a poodle, and TBH, had never really considered one, due to the stereotype of 'handbag dog'...

... until we started training with one at Agility class. Bonnie is a teensie tiny toy poodle, all of about 2-3 kg - and one of the best natural athletes I have ever seen.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlXqCEKaho

You couldn't get further from the stereotypical poodle owner than Dave if you tried.

Pam
mum24dog
QUOTE(cosnochta @ 15th May 2010, 12:53 pm) *

Pogo is a 9 month old brown toy poodle.

Love the name. I'm sure it's perfect for him.

Pam
plymgreys
I adore poodles. We had one at home when I was very small. Dad brought her home from work one day. A chap had bought her for his wife as a Christmas present with predictable results. At the time they were a trendy breed. She'd been handed around a bit by the time she came to us and spent the first two weeks hiding under my parents bed and had a nervous related skin condition. As a toddler she was my constant companion and there is a crumpled black & white photo of us digging a hole together on the beach were we lived at Burnham-on-Sea. In later life she had a phantom pregnancy, a heart condition and was attacked by another dog and died aged 11. I'd have one again but a greyhound is taking up the available space just now. Don't mind what size. Cindy was a black miniature but went a lovely shade of silver in her later years. She was very bright and a brilliant family dog. Went everywhere with us. I detest the show cuts and would never inflict that on a dog of mine.

I've often thought it would be amusing to have a greyhound, a standard poodle and an afghan in the same place. Same shape(ish) different hairstyle!
cosnochta
QUOTE(mum24dog @ 15th May 2010, 1:44 pm) *

Love the name. I'm sure it's perfect for him.

Pam

Thanks!

He loves to jump around on his hind legs, especially when he's excited. He did that for the entire class, the first time we went to training! lol Even my vet said that he is the most aptly named dog he's ever treated!

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to this, but this is a photo of him 'pogoing' that was taken by a pet photographer recently:
http://www.blackblurphotography.com/photo4811417.html
mum24dog
QUOTE(plymgreys @ 15th May 2010, 1:55 pm) *

there is a crumpled black & white photo of us digging a hole together on the beach were we lived at Burnham-on-Sea.

Are you me? lol.gif

We lived at Burnham when I was given our first poodle for my 8th birthday. Can't remember ever saying I wanted one, or a dog at all.

We lived on Pier St, just a couple of mins from the beach. Perfect you might think, but I'd walk her up there, let her off lead and she'd just leg it back home!

Pam
mum24dog
QUOTE(cosnochta @ 15th May 2010, 1:56 pm) *

He loves to jump around on his hind legs, especially when he's excited.

The boinging is what I remember from my childhood dogs, but then my mongrel has always done it too.

Pam
yogibear
QUOTE(Apache Rose @ 15th May 2010, 11:09 am) *

metoo.gif
rebajosh
hi
i'm owned by a huge standard poodle girlie called Frankie - i've had her for about a year and she is now five
I've always been owned by poodles and 'non moults ' due to being allergic to dogs.Poodles have the best fur for allergy sufferers in my eyes though

Had an apricot standard as a child and have always wanted another and now i have.She is a big personality dog ,37 kilos of energy and no one is foolled into thinking she's a silly poodle !!! lol.gif Least of all the squirrels we USED to get in the garden until she killed one ,quick as a flash , in my garden witnessed by all the neighbours children!!!Naughty girl!!!
NIce to know there are some like minded poodle people - incidently someone on here directed me to a great poodle chat website -champoodles scruffoodles- if anyone is interested.I'm sure most individual breeds have their own chat forum in one form or another

x
Hally1
Peter Poodle is 13 years old, he was a reject from a toy Poodle litter, we have had him since he was a puppy.
He is a great family dog, my children have grown up with him, though he loves my husband best! Now he leads a steady life, with his lady friend Nina (from Four Paws) and various fosters who he keeps in line, no messing about allowed lol.gif
His favorite thing is sea fishing, with my husband on his boat, and shopping, he is not keen on walking far, especially in the rain. He has always been good to leave, never snappy or yappy.
Picture shows him with Nina and previous foster Hector waiting for a treat, oh yes he loves his treats!

Miss_P
My Grandma used to breed poodles and I've always fancied getting a little one as tribute to her. Probably apricot or black as they're my faves. wub.gif Size would be dependent on living circumstances! biggrin.gif

I used to see a standard black last year in the park quite often, then I saw the owner again with a new one this week (previous one died of nose cancer sad.gif )and she was telling me how she's having trouble with recall, the new 11 month old poodle would not come back for love nor money. Bless the woman but one squeak of my kong ball and we'd found our problem solver. Think she's gonna buy some squeak kong balls as they really seem to work with this hyper bundle of poodle-ness. lol.gif
ChrisFiga
My family had two rescue poodles when I was a child - a white one called Bill until I was about 11, he got pinched from our garden and I carried his lead around for months in the hope of finding him. Broke my heart.
Our second was a black one called Tammy, she was very much my dog and used to protect me from my older sister who could be a bit horrible.

Both of them were excellent companions, full of fun and not at all yappy or snappy.

ETA - they were both the medium-sized ones, I always get muddled up between toy and miniatures.
Toggledog
I have a white(ish) standard called Molly. She is unlike any of my other dogs, intelligent, but quite aloof, only likes doing things that she can see a benefit to herself in, although she does have the basics - sit, down, stay, recall etc. Oddly, she also sneezes on command, and that's the only trick she will do, although all my others have a wide repertoire. She did agility for many years, Queen of the Slowest Clear Round! I think that too often, people forget that poodles are dogs, and spoil them or treat them different. For sure, poodles have their quirks, but so does every breed. People seem to think she enjoys being pampered, and spoilt - err, no, she would much rather go for a long country walk. Also, one memorable occasion, we came across some rabbits, and I managed to call off all my other dogs - a WSD, a JR, a Staffie x, a deaf lurcher,and a foster deaf collie Jr x, but Molly caught and killed a rabbit. I was not very happy, but think it goes to show that despite their appearances, the working/chase/hunter lurks very close to the surface under that wool.
I know a few mins/toys, as a groomer and through agility....almost without exception, those treated as 'normal' dogs are great, those that are pampered and spoilt are yappy and ill-behaved.

Hi, Rebajosh, you know me as Mollydog on the other site!!
marygiles
I have Flora a toy poodle ----a Many Tears ex breeding bitch!
When we arrived to collect her she was bouncing up and down at the gate of her enclosure barking !!She has continued barking ever since! A happy jolly friendly dog both to people and other dogs! She shares her home with an assortment of small dogs. A Pug , A Chihuahua and Yorkies . She is a people person first and foremost and could easily have been homed as an only dog! She adores me and from the very first she has slept between my husband and I in our bed! For a dog who was crated for all of her four years she soon found her creature comforts!
Flora freshly groomed
And how she looks most of the time living in the country where leaves and debris stick to her like velcro
Louisebt
Mum's groomer has a standard, she had a litter many years ago, she had 13 pups ohmy.gif

If anyone would like to see pics i can scan some in angel.gif
kestla
A couple more of photo`s of Oliver wub.gif wub.gif

One of Heidi my last Min poodle, she is 13 and very ill here.
Heidi did extremely well in the show ring in her younger days

kestla
QUOTE(Louisebt @ 16th May 2010, 12:18 am) *

Mum's groomer has a standard, she had a litter many years ago, she had 13 pups ohmy.gif

If anyone would like to see pics i can scan some in angel.gif

Standards do have quite big litters of puppies.
One of my Min poodles had 8 ohmy.gif we did have to help her out as that was far too many for her.
mum24dog
QUOTE(kestla @ 16th May 2010, 12:38 am) *

One of my Min poodles had 8 ohmy.gif we did have to help her out as that was far too many for her.

My mother had litters of 8 and 10 (8 survived) from our miniatures.

Pam
Fluttaby
WhenI worked in kennels, the standard poodles were my favourites! The misconception that they are prissy dogs is so wrong, they are the most fun ever and I used to love doing them when I helped in the grooming parlour because it was so satisfying to make them all fluffy.
My favourite was a black standard girl called Sophie, if I could one day have a dog like her I'd be very happy!
Louisebt
The dog i have pics of was only expected to have a tiny litter, mum spent every day with mummy and pups until the last pup went so they could be split into groups to feed etc wub.gif
catster

i have a 6 month old toy poodle x border terrier (only had him 2 weeks)

to be honest the poodle talk has been scaring me a little! - talk of traits such as: snappy, barky, separation anxiety etc etc..

But I wub.gif him... he is lovely. He is a bit clingy, but he is so loving with it. We are working hard at setting boundaries for him - and touch wood he is responding really well. He now goes in his crate at night.. and sleeps the whole night through, asks to go out, sits, paw, down, is beginning to understand stay, and definitely knows what no means!!

He is a bundle of scruffy fun, the only thing is that he isnt keen on being left alone in his crate at all - but we are working on it! I hadn't put this down do a breed trait, I assumed it was because he is just not used to it?

anyway - just wanted to add my boy to this thread, and I'm really hoping he is going to keep on as the lovely, friendly, fun little chap that he is! smile.gif .... and whether that is attributable to the poodle bit, border bit, or just plain luck I just dont know!
plymgreys
QUOTE(mum24dog @ 15th May 2010, 2:22 pm) *
We lived on Pier St, just a couple of mins from the beach.

We lived on The Esplanade, even handier for the beach! We lived in a flat over a cafe while Dad was helping to build Hinkley Point power station. I don't remember much about it except the beach and the dog. I was born there and only 3 when we moved away. Cindy was about the same age as me.
kestla
QUOTE(catster @ 16th May 2010, 12:15 pm) *

i have a 6 month old toy poodle x border terrier (only had him 2 weeks)

to be honest the poodle talk has been scaring me a little! - talk of traits such as: snappy, barky, separation anxiety etc etc..

But I wub.gif him... he is lovely. He is a bit clingy, but he is so loving with it. We are working hard at setting boundaries for him - and touch wood he is responding really well. He now goes in his crate at night.. and sleeps the whole night through, asks to go out, sits, paw, down, is beginning to understand stay, and definitely knows what no means!!

He is a bundle of scruffy fun, the only thing is that he isnt keen on being left alone in his crate at all - but we are working on it! I hadn't put this down do a breed trait, I assumed it was because he is just not used to it?

anyway - just wanted to add my boy to this thread, and I'm really hoping he is going to keep on as the lovely, friendly, fun little chap that he is! smile.gif .... and whether that is attributable to the poodle bit, border bit, or just plain luck I just dont know!

He is lovely.

See I`m not as much in to the traits thing as some, I think a dog is what you make it and boundaries are good.
I have had many poodles over the years and none were snappy or barky as that wasn`t allowed, I never had seperation anxiety either, but then again my youngsters learned off the others.
I had 6 poodles and a GSD, my Mum had 3 more so we often had 9 together and a GSD with no problems, mind Mums were a bit Yappy as she never told them off, they knew it wasn`t allowed at my house though lol.gif
mum24dog
QUOTE(catster @ 16th May 2010, 12:15 pm) *

You're right. Carry on working on it and you'll get there. Both you and he will be happier for it in the long run.

Pam
rosiemongrel
My PIL have standard poodles. Here is their current one a few years ago, with Rosie:

He is unneutered, and has a half dock. Their previous one was undocked, which was lovely. The two I have known have both struck me as quite stubborn dogs, but perfectly friendly and relaxed and certainly not snappy. They were not well-trained though, so not always easy to handle. Also, as they were both entire, they did sometimes get into scraps with other boy dogs. They seem to remain playful into old age, but they have always had a strong doggie odour. Not sure if that's because PIL don't groom them enough or if it's because they were unneutered and did lots of marking, always peeing a little bit on their own legs? dunno.gif They have a lovely bouncy gait. smile.gif
cheeky pudding
Dusty was a white miniature toy cross - our family's first dog when I was 6 years old. She was the sweetest, kindest and most gentle little girl. My mum used to bring her to school when she picked me up and, on the way back, Dusty would collect rubbish from the pavement and deposit it in our garden,as if it were a present! We called her the Womble Dog! (it WAS the '70's!) We were heartbroken to lose her to cancer at the age of 12. There was a dog shaped space where she had been, so she paved the way for Abby and Mo, then Millie and Huey!
No pictures I'm afraid - long before the days of digital cameras!
floridley
As a family we have always had standard poodles. Currently have three boys Leo (white, 5 years), Alfie (black, 4 years) and Finbarre (silver 2 and a half years). I will always have poodles- they are the best dogs in the world IMO. They love exercise and i compete in agility and flyball with two of mine currently and once Alfie is not injured he will carry on competing too. They are super intelligent- great will all my other pets (1 other dogs, 2 parrots, 8 cats and a rabbit) and they love people. Never have they been snappy or noughty.
EAD
Had Alfie (scottie) at the groomers last night and when I arrived she was bathing a min apricot poodle who she said would have her hand off if the owner was there, but when left by herself she was an angel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.