Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jake's Biopsy Results - Not Good News
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Jenny.Wren
I'm heartbroken crying.gif

The surgery called last night. The tumor is the most aggresive type. I really don't know what else to say sad.gif

I cant stop crying and thinking of the little time we have left. They gave me statistics over the phone that it carries a guarded prognosis and the average time after diagnosis is about 80 days. The longest recorded case was about a year. They said to enjoy my time with him.

I want to speak to the vet who operated on him last week to ask for a more experienced opinion rather than stasistics but perhaps I'm just getting my hopes up. I don't even know what to look for as he's so happy and alert.

If you saw him now you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him. Why is life so cruel. I went to hell and back last week and now I'm back there again.

My beautiful boy. I just cant believe it............ crying.gif crying.gif
AnnS
So sorry the news wasn't better.

AnnS
suzeanna
I'm sorry you had bad news but...look at it this way. He's happy, and his normal self, so he isn't in pain, which is a good thing. He doesn't know the prognosis...so act just the same as you always have with him, and try to forget it yourself. Remember people who have been in the news after being given months to live, and have gone on for years, Jayne Tomlinson for one...he could amaze the vets and delight you by going on for ages yet, don't spoil the time you have with him by mourning as if he's gone already. hug.gif
Jenny.Wren
QUOTE(suzeanna @ 17th Feb 2010, 8:23 am) *

I'm sorry you had bad news but...look at it this way. He's happy, and his normal self, so he isn't in pain, which is a good thing. He doesn't know the prognosis...so act just the same as you always have with him, and try to forget it yourself. Remember people who have been in the news after being given months to live, and have gone on for years, Jayne Tomlinson for one...he could amaze the vets and delight you by going on for ages yet, don't spoil the time you have with him by mourning as if he's gone already. hug.gif

Thank you. This is what I'm trying to do. I just dont know much about these tumors, I believe they are called hemangiosarcomas. Apparently this tumor is associated with serious internal bleeding and rapid internal spread crying.gif

I'm just so scared of losing him. It's not his turn and I don't want him to leave me sad.gif

diddledog
QUOTE(suzeanna @ 17th Feb 2010, 8:23 am) *

Ive been there and this is the advice i would give you too. Make the most of everyday and spoil him rotten. So sorry for you hug.gif
saru
This is the news I didn't want to hear.

I'm so, so sorry. hug.gif hug.gif

Jenny.Wren
I'm just so scared not to have him in my life and what that will do to me. He's my little shadow and best friend wub.gif

I just cant stop the tears crying.gif
Elainew
Enjoy your time together hug.gif
shirls
So Sorry hug.gif
Samara
So very sorry sad.gif

I was lost a treasured girl only six weeks after diagnosis (heart probs) and it was and still is difficult. All I can say is to try and take one day at a time and have no expectations about how things will be or end...

Wishing you love and strength, much love x
castleroy68
sad.gif So sorry to read the news wasnt good - ((hugs)) and thinking of you. xxx
doggroomer
I'm so sorry the results were not good. Treasure every moment you have left together however long that may be.

Chris
simbasmum
I'm so sorry, just treasure what time you have left now.

*hugs*
dee dee
oh no im just so so sorry that it was such sad news, bug hugs to you both stay strong for him and enjoy your time together
D x
aileen ainsworth
I am so sorry for your news take each day has it comes hug.gif
---Aileen
Nina K
So sorry for your sad news. sad.gif

Praying for a miracle. hug.gif
ChrisBJB
I'm so sorry to hear your bad news hug.gif Do try to make the time you have together really happy and positive, lots of treats, don't spoil it by being sad sad.gif there will be some good times for you together if you can only put your grieving on hold until you have actually lost him. If you are sad he will be unhappy and confused. Give him a good send off and remember he will run free at the Bridge.
You will manage to get through this and we are all very sympathetic - most of us know what it is to lose a much loved dog.
I'm sure that whenever and whatever you post you will find somebody to respond to you. hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif
Jenny.Wren
thank you for all your kind words. I had a terrible night and didn't sleep well, Jake licked my face at 5.30am tongue.gif

How can such a happy and active dog have something so terrible in his body. I'm praying that maybe it hasn't got him so bad yet.

I am going to try and speak to the vet today to get some more information
Michenda
So sorry for your news hug.gif
Sending positive thoughts and hope you and Jake have lots of lovely time left together.
Just ty to be strong and enjoy each other. wub.gif wub.gif
Wishig you love and strength.
God bless.

huckleberry
So sorry Jenny. This sort of news really knocks you for six sad.gif

But it is good news that Jake is fine in himself so I would get yourself out and about doing all the things that make Jake happy, and treasure each and every day you have together.

You never know what the future holds - you may have lots more time together than you think. It certainly doesn't sound like Jake is beaten yet.

Oh and make sure you give him loads of cuddles - I'm a great believer in the healing power of cuddles wub.gif
bullybeef
Gutted to hear your news, on the upside, if Jake is quite upbeat - just go with the flow, you will know when he's feeling ill and no-one knows their dogs like their owners! Enjoy all the time you have left with him and treasure each momnet.
muttlover
hug.gif So hard for you. I hope after the shock you'll be able to enjoy the rest of your time together and take each day at a time. Lots of sympathy here.
mokee
I'm so, so sorry. I've only just caught up with this and I was really rooting for Jake - I thought you'd found your happy ending and he was going to be ok for years yet to come.

Just know that whatever you're feeling at the moment, I'm feeling too - I know that you look at him and just can't accept that it's true, I do the same when I look at Mo. I know that you feel like you're heart is breaking and I understand how hard it is to keep your happy face on for him. You've got the same precious gift as I have right now - yes, his time is limited, but for now he's happy and you owe it to him to make sure you both stay that way for as long as possible. Live for today and enjoy the time you have left together, me and Mo will be doing the same.
Gnasher
So sorry hug.gif

Treasure him and enjoy your time with him wub.gif I know only too well how difficult it is err.gif but enjoy games, cuddles, and as much spoiling as you can fit in to make whatever time you have left as much fun for you both as you can wub.gif
kats n greys
hug.gif Thinking of you.
Moon-beam
QUOTE(kats n greys @ 17th Feb 2010, 9:08 pm) *

hug.gif Thinking of you.

metoo.gif hug.gif
Lottesmummy
hug.gif Enjoy every moment.
Jenny.Wren
thank you everyone, your words are very kind and to you too Mokee - I know this is hard for you too.

I saw my vet yesterday and we had a little chat. He said he was so sorry but did fear this result. He cant say how long Jake has, he has lost some dogs after 6 weeks, some after 6 months sad.gif He told me just to enjoy him and act as nothing has changed as he will pick up on my feelings. He said he was a great believer that stress affects dogs and believes in positive feelings and thoughts around Jake.

He wants him back in a months time for a little health check and probably take some bloods.

The nurse was lovely too. Told me that I can bring him in anytime I'm not happy or unsure about something and they will always see him.

The most ironic thing is that he had extensive bloods done and the results came in Tuesday and they are spot on, his bone marrow is doing what it should be doing and all levels are good.

I suppose this is all that anyone can say err.gif they cant fix him and there is no cure. I'm trying to be positive, especially for Jake as he really picks up on my feelings.

The hardest thing is that to look at him, especially as he only had his spleen removed last week, he's amazing - you wouldn't even think he'd been through surgery but i know that inside in has a horrible disease crying.gif

I am seeing the vet again next week as my other dog has her injections so I will take that opportunity to have another chat with him as I have thought of more questions.
saru
Ask whether chemo might be an option. I know when I was researching last year that kept coming up so it's worth seeing what your vet says.

hug.gif hug.gif
Kaylie
Sorry sorry to hear this. Have lots of fun together in the time he has left. Sending lots of wub.gif to you both
cammyboo
hug.gif Sorry to hear the news sad.gif

Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, and Jake wub.gif and can only agree with what everyone has already said. Enjoy him as much as you possibly can and spoil him rotten, I'm sure you will hug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.