Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Beautiful Boy Is Very Sick
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jenny.Wren
sad.gif I'm absolutely devastated and just cant stop crying.

Jake is 10 but a very fit and active 10 year old with absolutely no signs of slowing down.

Friday night, everything was normal, had an active walk running after sticks then had his dinner. By 8/9pm, he started to get very restless, as if he couldn't get comfortable. He has mild arthritis so we thought he was just a little uncomfortable. Anyway, we all went to bed and he slept between 11pm and 5am and was then up again, restless. I got up with him and took him outside to see he wanted to go to the toilet. He could hardly stand up and was all wobbly - he just wanted to lay down. My husband got up and checked his gums - they were so pale. We carried him to the car sad.gif and took him to the vet.

We were so lucky to get him there as quick as we did as he was going into shock; his body temp was very low.

They put him on a drip straight away and started to run tests.

They called me later that day and unfortunately his kidneys are failing crying.gif From the initial results, it appears they are only working at 25% - how can it be so advanced? His last blood check was June. We are in so much shock and I'm absolutely beside myself - I love this dog so much wub.gif I have been crying all weekend. He's my life and my best friend.

They are going to run some more tests today to see how his kidneys are after being flushed and we are hopeful he'll be home later but they cant say how long he's got - that's the hardest. Could be a week, a few weeks or a few months.

He is going to go on a special renal diet to help but I'm so scared how I feel now that I know that soon I will have to deal with losing him. It's not his time to go and I am crying now just thinking of my life without him crying.gif crying.gif These were taken last summer:

cindere528
Healing thoughts & hug.gif winging their way to Jake & you
Trailhoundann
Hoping you get some better news very soon hug.gif
Mother to four
Sending very gentle hug.gifs .
jaynedogs
Please be brave. See how it goes over the next few days. Hugs to you all. wub.gif
Barneys Dad
QUOTE(Trailhoundann @ 8th Feb 2010, 8:46 am) *

Hoping you get some better news very soon hug.gif

metoo.gif sad.gif
coinsky
I am so very sorry. sad.gif

I hope that the flushing and the food can buy him a lot more time with you. hug.gif hug.gif
jetsmum
metoo.gif hug.gif
dlr
QUOTE(coinsky @ 8th Feb 2010, 9:04 am) *

I hope that the flushing and the food can buy him a lot more time with you. hug.gif hug.gif

metoo.gif hug.gif
essexgirl
metoo.gif hug.gif hug.gif
Jenny.Wren
QUOTE(coinsky @ 8th Feb 2010, 9:04 am) *

I am so very sorry. sad.gif

So do I. Each day we have will be precious
Michenda
What alovely boy Jake is, wub.gif Sending lots of healing thoughts to you both wub.gif wub.gif
Hope you get some good news soon.
Nina K
hug.gif

Sending lots of "stay strong" wishes for both you and the handsome Jake.

Our thoughts are with you.
broonie
QUOTE(Nina K @ 8th Feb 2010, 9:42 am) *

hug.gif

Sending lots of "stay strong" wishes for both you and the handsome Jake.

Our thoughts are with you.

metoo.gif hug.gif
collies r best
Tons of hugs for you and your handsome boy wub.gif
Nature_Lover
I am so sorry you and Jake are having to go through this. Sending lots of love and stay strong thoughts to you both xx hug.gif
Jenny.Wren
Thank you for all your kind words. We just dont understand how it could happen so quickly. sad.gif

I'm so upset now. How will I cope in the future crying.gif
Owlish
I'm very sorry to hear this - lots of hug.gif to you and Jake hug.gif

Samara
QUOTE(Jenny.Wren @ 8th Feb 2010, 10:03 am) *

Thank you for all your kind words. We just dont understand how it could happen so quickly. sad.gif

I'm so upset now. How will I cope in the future crying.gif

There is every chance it hasn't happened so quickly. The kidneys in dogs and people can lose a large amount of their function and still cope pretty well, or appear too. Only blood tests would indicate any deficit.
Sadly once a certain stage is reached signs appear. Ask your vet to explain this to you, they will also be able to give you some idea of why this may have developed, though sometimes it is just down to an ageing body or genetics sad.gif

Might you consider seeing a holistic/homeopathic vet? I'd take this path or certainly ask them about options and how it might combine with allopathic care. Take care and stay positive, this will help your boy to cope and stay as well as possible.

http://www.bahvs.com/findavet.htm
adamandbecks
hug.gif I can honestly feel the pain in your thread, I'm so sorry that you are going through this, your boy is clearly very loved and cherished. My thought are with you as are with the other members going through the pain and possibility of loosing their much loved hug.gif
mythos
Lots of gentle squidges for Jake wub.gif

and tons of hug.gif for you err.gif

Let hope the fluids and DP good thoughts will work some magic and give you some more time together
mythos
Loads of gentle get well squidges for Jake wub.gif

and tons of hug.gif for you.

Lets hope the fluids, TLC and DP good thoughts will work some magic and give you some more time together smile.gif
sapphire3
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this. Don't really know what else to say. Just enjoy your boy while you can. When his time comes you WILL cope. We all do, though it is really hard, and there is so much support on this board when you need it.

Gentle hug.gif for you and Jake.
Bunter1
sad.gif I am so sorry hug.gif

I had a similar thing happen with my old Bridge girlie - Bessie Bunter wub.gif One day she was fine and running about, the next day she had collapsed where a tumour that we had no idea was there (spleen) had bled. The tumour had stopped bleeding but we knew it was only a matter of time.. We had another lovely couple of weeks with her before we let her go. During that time she was spoilt rotten and we managed to come to terms with it.

It is really upsetting, shocking and terrifying, I know sad.gif .

Sending you and Jake all good wishes and healing thoughts for loads more quality time together hug.gif
shirls
So sorry hug.gif
redcanary
hug.gif hug.gif For you.

Jean xx

doggroomer
I hope the fluids and special food can help your boy.

Chris
Jenny.Wren
QUOTE(Bunter1 @ 8th Feb 2010, 12:00 pm) *

It is really upsetting, shocking and terrifying, I know sad.gif .

these are all the emotions i'm feeling now. He really is the world to me and all these lovely posts are making me cry again crying.gif
redhelen
hug.gif hug.gif

Gnomes
I can understand your emotions entirely - I am waiting for the vets to call me as they think my 17yr old Sadie is suffering with kidney failure.

I hope the flushing has given you some more time.

Naomi x x
ChrisBJB
So very sorry to here about your terrible news. Make the most of every minute with your precious boy and remember we are all here for you. I don't imagine that there are many of us who haven't known the loss of a very dear dog - the pain does pass eventually and you will have so many lovely memories to dwell on in the future. Big hugs to you all and let's hope that you have more time together than you imagine - just let him know how special he is. hug.gif
Scotslass
As others have said, when the time comes, you will find a way to deal with it. You are still in shock and haven't had time to process this devastating news.

Just go on enjoying him and loving him in the usual way; you will find the strength to do what must be done, when the time comes. He is relying on you to be his rock. hug.gif

My heart goes out to you. hug.gif

bullybeef
It helps to post on here, you're going through the same thing as us and yes - mad full blown panic sets in with the thoughts of how we're going to cope.

Im trying to stay strong in his presence or he will get upset about me but I too have spent the weekend in floods of tears so I know what you're going through. Is he eating at all? Thats just how Bruno was 8 days ago, couldn't settle and seemed to be uncomfortable lying down, we too thought it was his lanky legs going wonky again. We thought we could just go to the vets and he could give him painkillers to make him all better again, its a shock when you realise its not so easy.

You'll do whats right when the time comes, I didn't want Bruno to go through the flushing as he's quite old, 11, for a Great Dane X and would be stressed to have to stay at the vets. At times like this we have to do whats right for them and not us but your dog may react better to the treatment, Bruno hasn't eaten for 8 days now....

Big hugs for you all
aileen ainsworth
So very sorry hug.gif
---Aileen
reddeeps
Just want to send loads of hugs and hope all is okay.
Also to gnomes and bulleybeef as well
Hallmark
My sister's bitch is in renal failure and hardly eating. She is allowed white bread, sponge cake, chicken (fresh roast!), egg, milk as well as other things I can't remember, and does actually sometimes eat these but her appetite is very capricious. She will eat one day and not the next. If she does something she enjoys, like going to watch agility she will eat titbits while there and often eat the next day. She also has steroid injections monthly. So far she has been kept going for several months now and although dreadfully thin and very frail still insists on her (very slow) walks.

Her time left is very limited but she still seems happy and pleased to see her friends so not ready to go yet.

I wish you all the luck with your boy.
DooBlog
Hugs for you and Jake. hug.gif hug.gif
poverton
Oh, I'm so sorry - I don't know how this feels as of yet, but I know when I fear then end is nearing for one of my dogs - whether it be days, weeks or months, I too will be devestated. I don't really think there are words that can make you feel better at a time like this, but if anything can make you feel a tad more positive, just keep thinking about what a wonderful life you have had, and still are having, with such a beautiful dog and friend.

You obviously love him so, so much and he will know that through and through.

Keep it together as much as possible for him, keep positive, smotheer him with love and be brave about any decisions you need to make for him - after all, what a wonderful gift to give him - your love and your responsibility to him.

Have a big hug from us,

P
x
Lindsay
I'm so sorry - I lost my boy Freebie at just 10 and a half to Kidney failure (and the beginnings of cdrm).

hug.gif

Try to enjoy the time you have left.

Lindsay
x
mcclurgs
Am praying that ur boy is home with you hug.gif

Amanda x
poppydoodle
wub.gif Jake wub.gif lots of healing thoughts and prayers on the way to you and a big hug.gif to those that love you.
Nina K
Nothing to add to what's already been said, but just wanted to send more hug.gif

Take it a day at a time. We are here.
magsy
hug.gif from me too. I lost one of my boys a couple of years ago now with kidney trouble though he was older than your boy. Like you we tried diet and treatment but he hated the food so was fed whatever he would eat especially chicken which was his favourite until he let us know that his time had come. I do hope things work out better for you but I know you will do whatever is best for your boy. hug.gif for jake too. Mags and her gang.
Jenny.Wren
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words. They really do help wub.gif

Jakey is home now (thank god) - just having him back has made such a difference - I cant stop making a fuss of him smile.gif He even had visitors last night too tongue.gif

They did another urine test yesterday which showed that he is now weeing out much protein - they said this is good and they did another set of bloods which are apparently "normal" - again they are pleased as they said there is some function there.

Of course we still have to be very vigilent and he is due for another set of bloods soon - this will give a better picture of how the kidneys are functioning without any help.

Because of the rapid decline Saturday, I am clinging to the fact that perhaps he ate something that poisoned him, but perhaps I'm just clutching at straws sad.gif

He ate dinner last night and breakfast this morning and he slept through the night with no weeing or drinking which I'm pleased about - any increases in these things then I will start to worry again. I even let him on the bed last night wink.gif

He was his old self again yesterday which really helped me cheer up - he pulled me all the way home from the vets. However I know it's the drip/flush which has improved him - I'm still so scared that the decline can happen again at any time - that's the part that kills me, however I live with hope.

I don't think watching him like a hawk is healthy for me either err.gif

Every day we have with him now is precious.

Thank you again for all your love and support xxxxxxxx we really do appreciate it
Jenny.Wren
QUOTE(Gnomes @ 8th Feb 2010, 12:33 pm) *

I can understand your emotions entirely - I am waiting for the vets to call me as they think my 17yr old Sadie is suffering with kidney failure.

I hope the flushing has given you some more time.

Naomi x x

hug.gif to you and Sadie too
bullybeef
Great news, sounds like its done the trick and as long as he has some quality of life, make the most of it. The heartbreaking thing for me was watching Bruno wasting away from not eating for such a long time but if Jake is eating thats a really good sign.

Enjoy him but just try to live your life as normal or you'll be ill too.

Big hugs from me and Rizzle xxx
Jenny.Wren
QUOTE(bullybeef @ 9th Feb 2010, 1:43 pm) *

Enjoy him but just try to live your life as normal or you'll be ill too.

it's already making me ill err.gif

He's not too bad at the moment, bit up and down. Yesterday morning he was a bit flat, but by the end of the day, back to the Jake we know wanting to play with his toys, however this morning he seemed a bit flat again sad.gif . He's eating and going out for his walks but not as energetic. We don't know whether he still's recovering from the trauma of what his body went through over the weekend or something else....

My husband had a good chat with the vet this morning and she said that being "up and down" isn't what she would expect if his kidneys were failing - she would be more concerned if he was on a downward spiral, however it's good he is eating and alert enough. We are going to do more bloods Friday and check is white blood cells.

He's had a stubborn cough for a couple of months now, not major but lurking in the background. He was treated for kennel cough but as it's still around they think it may be lungworm - he's now on treatment for that - perhaps this could be making him feel flat. Heart and lungs sound fine apparently. Gums are still slightly pale though.

Oh I wish they could tell us what's wrong err.gif Trouble is I'm not sleeping or eating well as I'm so concerned with what he's doing - every time he moved last night I was awake to check him. Let's hope Friday's bloods are encouraging
aileen ainsworth
Will keep my fingers crossed that the blood test are OK
---Aileen
bullybeef
I know exactly what you're going through, thats the reason why I didnt sleep as I was listening to his every move. I used to hold my breath every morning to see how he would be when I came down the stairs.

At least Jake has perked up and is eating, thats a good sign. Bruno was doing nothing apart from lying on his bed all day and his eyes started to look so very tired. Thats when I knew. Jake sounds far more hopeful so fingers crossed for him wub.gif
dogdays
The very best of luck with your blood test results Jake.
hug.gif to you Jenny.Wren
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.