Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Does He Rub His Face On The Rug?
Dogpages forums > General forums > Training and behaviour...
ladysmiley
lol.gif

My Shih Tzu has his tea, then spends ten minutes rubbing his face around the rug, pushing himself along with his back legs.

It's so funny to watch and I like to think it's because he really enjoyed his tea. But is he just wiping his face like we do with a napkin?

lol.gif
BarbaraNixon
All four of the cavaliers I've owned do that, too, but only after messy meals (ie not just kibble). It could be a way of getting the bits that the tongue can't reach, because they can lick them off the carpet.

amber
My greyhound Oscar does this lol.gif . Mostly on the sofas though! If I feed him outside, then he uses ground cover plants unsure.gif

I think he thinks he's using them as a napkin so he has nice clean chops and I have dirty sofas.
Houndwoman
I have a Beagle that does the same thing rolleyes.gif Always after his tea and it seems his way of winding down and relaxing for the evening rolleyes.gif

In some cases it can be toothache or earache but if your doglet is healthy I wouldn't worry smile.gif

If you are concerned just get him checked out at the vets' just in case.
rkris965
My Greyhound Jennie does this too lol.gif

She does it anywhere really but mainly the carpet, sofa or my bed. ohmy.gif

I'm sure they do it to clean their faces, bless em. wub.gif
seadancer33
my JRT does this first thing in morning when he gets up, off the bed, goes all round doing this on carpet, often wondered why, i thought maybe he is just exercising after his very relaxed sleep!!
SamD
Rocco does this but not in the house. As soon as I let him off lead he does it, on grass, in the mulch in he woods. He particularly loved the snow and pushed himself for quite some way making fantastic trails through the snow.
saru
Saruman does it after a bath to dry himself off lol.gif Like this......

ladysmiley
Ha ha ha! Yes he does it after a bath too lol.gif
amber
Come to think of it, Oscar used to rub his face on my legs sometimes (still does on occasion), espesh if I was wearing a new pair of jeans. My brother who is a zoologist said it was scent marking, so maybe rubbing their face after eating is a form of scent marking their territory?

I think it might be just a sign of appreciation of nice food and cleaning dirty face though!

And I thought the face rubbing on my legs was a sign of affection! He also used to be a slipper thief in his younger years, could it be connected unsure.gif lol.gif
ladysmiley
oh he is a sock thief. Only worn ones mind!
amber
QUOTE(ladysmiley @ 20th Jan 2010, 7:40 pm) *

Oooooh, we should do a 'study'!

Oscar only ever used to steal my worn slippers and run around with them (usually before a walk), never the washed alternative slippers (and never anything belonging to my ex-OH...Oscar has good taste in slippers dry.gif )
yogibear
QUOTE(BarbaraNixon @ 20th Jan 2010, 5:30 pm) *

All four of the cavaliers I've owned do that, too, but only after messy meals (ie not just kibble). It could be a way of getting the bits that the tongue can't reach, because they can lick them off the carpet.

must be a cavalier thing as mine do aswell. wub.gif
BarbaraNixon
QUOTE(ladysmiley @ 20th Jan 2010, 7:40 pm) *

Teddy is a sock monster, too; old , new , worn or washed. He doesn't care. He has been given his own stash, using the devaluation theory, so he brings you one, to see if you'd like to steal from him, now.

ladysmiley
ha ha ha ha!!!! Teddy is just lovely!!!
shub
My GSD loves to have her face rubbed......she shoves her head in your hand for you to do it!!! When you rub her face she goes sooopid.....her legs wobble!!! lol.gif And she does a lurcher lean.......very funny
JRNasty
QUOTE(BarbaraNixon @ 20th Jan 2010, 8:46 pm) *

Teddy is a sock monster, too; old , new , worn or washed. He doesn't care. He has been given his own stash, using the devaluation theory, so he brings you one, to see if you'd like to steal from him, now.

lol.gif lol.gif

That is a cracking photo - "you want a sock punk...try it if you think your 'ard enuff!"

Moo always rubs his face in the rug after his evening meal...just see his bum sticking up in the air the other side of the coffee table as he pushes himself along!
bubble16
Reef does it first thing in the morning but it is his allergies sad.gif Face itches and eyes are all gunky first thing in the morning.
Daxigirl
So he's cleaning his eye bogies then by wiping them on the carpet!!

My 3 all like to wipe their faces on the carpet, the Millie whips likes to use the sofa too.

My mums poodle used to go around the valence on the bed to wipe his face, that was eye bogies too.
ladysmiley
lol.gif
superjules
Jasper (springer) does it after a bath, after a walk, and at various other times which I can't find a pattern to. He sometimes groans while he's doing it too! They're funny things aren't they?!
Miss_P
Mine does it to show she's happy. smile.gif

Rubs her head on her bed or the ground, with lots of snorts. lol.gif
simbasmum
All of our dogs do this!

I think it is more of a 'chops' cleaning exercise, but i've noticed they also do similar rubbing when they're really excited.

Our cocker spaniel runs along the hall with her head on the floor when she has stuff on her ears too.

Simba's fave thing to do is lean on the sofa and run around it, leaning on it so she leaves a hairy tidemark and all the while making strange 'wooo wooo woooooooo' noises lol.gif

Oscar, likes to use my work clothes as his napkin... if i'm wearing them, all the better rolleyes.gif
poverton
My Cav x does this.

Max always does it after a bath, usually all over my bed! rolleyes.gif

He does it on frosty grass, and spent ages pushing himself around through the snow.

But then we understand...............he is, after all, a complete spam.

P
x

Daxigirl

Come to think of it Woody sausage has a habit of rubbing the top of his head (picture a dog doing a headstand) on the carpet but I figured that was because he couldn't reach it with his little legs, he also does a thing of pulling himself along the carpet while sitting down. At first I thought he was wiping his backside but again I've since decided he itching his scrot' (well what's left of it) as he can't reach that either. lol.gif

Memo to self get the carpets cleaned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.