Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doggy Beaches Near Rye - Winchelsea?
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Diane C
We are planning a day trip to Rye. Are there any decent doggy beaches nearby or on the way. Someone has suggested Winchelsea - does anyone know whether dogs are allowed in August. Many thanks.
tigerseye
I think a part of Winchelsea beach allows dogs, though it's all shingle. If I were you though I would go round to Camber Sands, the bit down at the far eastern end is dog-friendly, and then again by the sand dunes at the opposite end. The eastern end is bigger and quieter though.

Our dogs love it there!
ChrisFiga
If you have a car I'd recommend a trip to Fairlight country park and Fairlight Glen as well - it's really lovely, high up on the cliffs with fantastic views. I used to live in Hastings and that was my favourite place to walk the dogs.
Tempest
QUOTE(ChrisFiga @ 26th Aug 2009, 8:03 pm) *

If you have a car I'd recommend a trip to Fairlight country park and Fairlight Glen as well - it's really lovely, high up on the cliffs with fantastic views. I used to live in Hastings and that was my favourite place to walk the dogs.

My OH is from Rye/Winchelsea and still has lots of family around the area and we took the dogs to Fairlight when we were visiting. Really lovely place to walk but if you've not got a good head for heights it might be best avoided lol.gif The dogs loved it though smile.gif
Diane C
Thank you so much for the replies. We had our day out yesterday, from Surrey via Bodiam castle for leg stretch and coffee, then to Camber Sands for swimming (dogs) and paddling (us!) and then we all walked round Rye and had a late lunch. A perfect day out for dogs and adults.
Smoothfox
Thanks for this thread! Today Archie, OH and I went to Camber Sands ( east side of beach ) for a 2 hour walk, had a picnic and then went to Fairlight to walk around Hastings Country Park. We had a marvellous day despite slightly dodgy weather this am and I now have a dog that took himself off to bed with complete exhaustion two hours ago !

I have to tell you one funny thing though... and you have to remember that Archie does not like water and will only go into the sea upto his elbows....the tide was going out and there were patches of water left on the sand. Archie had been running through these quite happily when we got to the far end of the beach and he saw a flock of seagulls sitting on the sand. He took off at speed to chase them, ran through what he thought was a shallow patch of water on the sand only to come to a very sudden stand still when he realised he was up to his chin in water ! yikes.gif I have never seen anything so funny in all my life lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif he looked completely astonished, walked very smartly out of the water, shook himself and then came trotting over as if to say ' What happened? ' Needless to say he avoided wet patches all the way back along the beach !

Anyway thanks for the tip on Camber Sands. The 2 hour drive each way was worth it !
Tiggie
If you are down this way again, St Leonards is fab when the tide is low, and you can take dogs there all year round.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.