Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh My Dog - Help Needed !
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Broody
Don't know whether you remember my previous thread about my rescue dog who went to be spayed last November, only to be told she hadn't formed properly and the vet told me to go back when she had her season ??

Well it looks like it is happening yikes.gif

She has been acting really cuddly and really needy for a few days and i said to my Hubbie she is not right, and she has just got out of her bed and has left spots of bright red blood over the floor.
Is this the normal ??

I checked her vulva to see if it is swollen and it doesn't look massive like some bitches I have seen, but it does look slightly bigger.

She is now 14 months old and I thought this would never happen.

She is constantly licking herself down below and is looking very sorry for herself and just wants to be hugged (which I am loving lol.gif ).

Does it sound like a season ?? I thought i would be ready for this long awaited day, but now it is happening I have gone into a panic mode.

So now she can't go out, is it for 3 weeks ?? (she'll hate that).

Anything I can do to help her ??

Tips and advice ?? Thanks guys x
jackthelab
It certainly sounds like your little girl has become a Lady tongue.gif lol.gif

You now have to watch she doesn't get into trouble for 28 days lol.gif
Invicta
Don't worry. Mood changes are absolutely normal. Dogs are lucky in only having a season twice a year instead of once a month wink.gif . You are lucky if she is becoming huggy, instead of bad-tempered like mine.

I did take Bonnie out during her one season before spaying, but she stayed firmly on the lead and we live in an area where there are no roaming out-of-control boy dogs. Bitches also vary in their attractiveness to dogs and to be honest only two showed significant interest in Bonnie, and no dogs ever tried to get in the garden.

Good luck. In another three months she can go to the vet and it will all be over.

Carol x
I Love MY Cookie
I'm sure you will know this..but just in case, please do supervise her at all times in the garden as 'randy' dogs will do anything to try and get to her smile.gif

Katherine

XXX
Nutmeg
Sounds perfectly normal for the start of a season. smile.gif
She may not be massive now, just you wait lol.gif

No reason not to take her out if you can find a quiet time/place and keep her securely on her lead.

When the bleeding changes to a straw coloured discharge that is the time to really be careful, you will find she will 'stand' when you smooth her back or put her tail to one side, this of course means she is ready and very willing.

An average season lasts three weeks, my little bitch made her first (and last one) hang out for six weeks!

When all signs of swelling and discharge have gone you can assume she has finished, just keep her on her lead for a while and watch for any reactions of interest from male dogs. wink.gif
Nina K
Only advice I would give is don't let her out of your sight! wink.gif Once she comes into season properly, she will be very devious and will sneak off, given the slightest opportunity. Her recall will vanish completely, hence the necessity to keep her on a lead.

One of my friends had a German Shorthaird Pointer which was in season. The bitch was in the kitchen in her bed, while the family were watching tv in the lounge. All the doors downstairs were open. Suddenly they heard a dog screaming, instantly followed by Ginny running into the lounge, dragging a "tied" dog behind her! yikes.gif This dog had got in through an open window and it was him screaming. He was smaller than Ginny and the poor boy's back legs couldn't reach the ground, so he was being dragged backwards by his dumbstick and on his front legs! ohno.gif lol.gif

Seriously though, be careful. A bitch in season can be very determined, as can any dog who gets a sniff of her. wink.gif

ETA: My friend used to put her old pairs of knickers on her bitch while she was in season to stop the spotting around the house. She just used to cut a hole for the tail to go through.
Broody
I have been out for a couple of hours and now that I have come back and checked her vulva, it is well and truely swollen - its making my eyes water !!!

Luckily she there doesn't seem to be any blood anywhere, so she seems to be keeping herself clean.

2 other questions.....

1) Can my inlaws bring their female dog (they've always got on really well) to visit ?

2) How long does the red blood last for ?? or is it as long as piece of string rolleyes.gif
border collie
QUOTE(Nutmeg @ 25th Aug 2008, 3:23 pm) *

No reason not to take her out if you can find a quiet time/place and keep her securely on her lead.

sorry, disagree, I would say "no real reason to take her out" it isn't worth the risk

QUOTE(Broody @ 25th Aug 2008, 4:18 pm) *

I have been out for a couple of hours and now that I have come back and checked her vulva, it is well and truely swollen - its making my eyes water !!!

Luckily she there doesn't seem to be any blood anywhere, so she seems to be keeping herself clean.

2 other questions.....

1) Can my inlaws bring their female dog (they've always got on really well) to visit ?

2) How long does the red blood last for ?? or is it as long as piece of string rolleyes.gif

don't let your eyes water, it isn't painful

I wouldn't bring the other dog near, it can alter previous friendships.

Red blood varies in length of duration
Deerhounder

Resist the temptation to put panties on her - vastly increases the risk of infection!
Broody
So far we seem to be quite lucky, as she is keeping herself very clean.
I am putting loads of towels on her bed, which I am changing, but there doesn't seem to be too much blood there.
Luckily, I don't think I'll need the pants, as the only time we see blood on the floor, is when she gets out of bed in the morning, and then it's only a few tiny spots.
She keeps looking up at me with these sad eyes, I think she is trying to milk it as much as possible lol.gif
I can't wait for this to be over, as I hate not letting her out for a run.

Luckily we have just come back (Fri) from a holiday in a cottage with a huge garden and lake, so she did about 6 months of walking and running in a week lol.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.