Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Ideas?
Dogpages forums > General forums > Training and behaviour...
janeddie
Eddie has starting to lick his paw between his two middle toes from yesterday. He was chasing bees/wasps most of the day and am wondering if when he air-snapped at one it may have fell on his paw? I have tried to have a look but with very thick black fur it is proving almost impossible! He did actually growl at me (for the first time) when trying to look yesterday. He is not unhappy in himself and eating etc., but it must be driving him mad cause I know it is me!! We are off to the vets for his booster on Tuesday so will obviously mention it to the vet if it is still causing him some aggrevation. Just wondered if our wise DP'ers had any ideas of what I could do in the meantime?

jumbuck
Use Silicea 30c in tablet form. This will work internally and help anyting to come out from where it went in. Also soak in salt water to help soothe the feet.
Vera
Yes, Jesse did exactely the same a couple of weeks ago. Luckily he let me have a look... under the mat that formed by the licking, I found a grass seed burried 3/4 into the skin. Luckily, the tail end was still sticking out and I managed to pull the grass seed out!
I used tea tree cream on it to heal it and I also gave him homeopathic Silica to work anything out that might have been left behind.
It all worked great and he stopped licking virtually instantly... and then only licked very occasionally. Within a week it was all totally healed up.

Vera
Jack2007
Personally I would not waste money on homeopathic quackery, but if you are going to, you should make sure you know what is in the pills.

Some homeopaths are using xylitol which can be fatal to dogs.

Reference links:

"Benefits" of homeopathy

snopes.com on xylitol danger
jumbuck
Don't knock it until you have tried it. The Queen Mum used it for years and we know how old she was when she passed away. smile.gif
Jack2007
QUOTE(jumbuck @ 26th Aug 2008, 9:13 am) *

Don't knock it until you have tried it. The Queen Mum used it for years and we know how old she was when she passed away. smile.gif

She was pickled on gin and dubonnet. That would be my preferred route to longevity.

paws56
If you are not a qualified vet you should not be offering advice on any remedies whether homeopathic or otherwise. If something was to go wrong you could be sued.
Vera
QUOTE(paws56 @ 26th Aug 2008, 10:57 am) *

If you are not a qualified vet you should not be offering advice on any remedies whether homeopathic or otherwise. If something was to go wrong you could be sued.

I have not recommended anything, simply stated what I used on my dog that had a similar condition! Whether the OP wants to copy me or anyone else for that matter is entirely up to them!

I agree though that if the OP is worried (which they obviously are as they have posted here), they should see a vet with their dog.

Vera
janeddie
Thanks for all the advice! Ed stopped vigoursly licking his paw last night and so far today has left it alone, he also let me have a look today and I could not see anything untoward! We are off to the vet's at 6pm for his annual booster (hoping it is an empty vet room tonight!!!) and will ask them to look at his paw and will keep you posted. Once again, thanks for you advice smile.gif
Tallypup
Tally was doing that a few weeks ago, i just couldn't see anything, but she really growled at me (and she never growls) but I did manage to have a look the next day and there were loads of tiny ticks and 1 big one right inbetween her toes and around her pad...i got a tick remover to get the lil monsters off and she squeaked and growled they must have been soooo painful sad.gif

Anyway hope your doggies paw is all better now smile.gif
paws56
QUOTE(jumbuck @ 24th Aug 2008, 9:12 am) *

Use Silicea 30c in tablet form. This will work internally and help anyting to come out from where it went in. Also soak in salt water to help soothe the feet.

The first word you said was "use" Silicea 30c. Then be careful of your wording if that is not the case. rolleyes.gif
jumbuck
My suggestion of using was only passed on in good faith as that was what has been suggested to me by Francis Hunter a well know homeopathic vet. I will refrain from offering any more help from now on.
janeddie
Went to the vet's last night to get himself "boosted" and whilst there mentioned the paw to the vet and Ed let her have a look at it with no fuss ohmy.gif To be honest he had left it alone most of yesterday and she said she could not feel or see anything so most probably may have been a sting of some sort, which had worked its way out and the antiseptic spray had obviously worked smile.gif
Scoots
QUOTE(jumbuck @ 27th Aug 2008, 7:57 am) *

My suggestion of using was only passed on in good faith as that was what has been suggested to me by Francis Hunter a well know homeopathic vet. I will refrain from offering any more help from now on.

I think most people posting here for advice are sensible enough to know that the answers they get are suggestions rather than things they have to do. smile.gif
janeddie
Sorry to have caused so much trouble and thank you all for your advice smile.gif
Jack2007
It's no trouble, honest smile.gif

Glad Eddie's OK. That's the main thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.