Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Things Your Dog Eats.
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Roxy Roodle
I saw something today I've never seen before. Our dog, Roxy came bouncing up to me in the garden with a windfall apple in her mouth. I thought she wanted to play fetch with it but she made it clear that wasn't what she had in mind. Instead she lay down and ever so delicately nibbled round it and ate little bites out of it with obvious enjoyment until she got to the core. She bit that in two and scoffed the lot! ohmy.gif She also likes melon. If you cut her a slice and hold it for her she nibbles the juicy bits off but leaves the rind. lol.gif

What weird things does your dog eat?
DooBlog
Boo eats apple, including the core, never eaten a whole one though. She also likes banana, strawberries and blackberries. smile.gif

Here she is blackberry picking. smile.gif

Think she's just greedy. lol.gif
mokee
Berri loves cucumber and ice cubes.
nikki c
My Lab ate a ping pong ball last night...that was strange... and it also will end up costing about 800 ...so not a cheap meal!! mad.gif
If he had chewed his food as always taught too this would not be a problem!!! wub.gif
Nikki
Sandy&Spirit
Spirit likes apple although i keep him away from the core as the pip things can be poisonous rolleyes.gif
buds mum
bobby likes to eat his dog bed, the kitchen table and chairs and all the plastic toys we get for him does this count as strange or not? lol.gif
Philip Turner
Cracker is partial to a sunday lunch...special occasions only... smile.gif

Also loves to crunch ice cubes in warm weather (what happened to that summer we were having a few weeks back!)

Phil

Golden Fox
Foxy loves tomatoes and has ate a raddish before.

Billy won't even take a biscuit without several sniffs and a think
Spinbo
Bella, my first Spinone (now at the Bridge) used to love raw red and yellow peppers, cucumber and raw carrots. Her real favourite was satsumas. We always said that if you wanted a satsuma you really needed two because you had to give so much to Bella.

boxermad1984
jack chewed extra strong super glue when puppy if that counts lol
Nene
Izzy likes everything but raw carrot. She LOVES satsumas.

I found a headless slug this morning ohno.gif
poverton
Mine all like to eat the windfall apples in the garden, chicken poo - Monty in particular (never snog a Spaniel) and .....................Fred once ate the contents of the potty.

And Monty ate some cat sick recently.

urghhhhhhhh

bennysmum
Bebe likes duck poo rolleyes.gif

judy
Maddy's mama
Hmm! Where do I start!!! lol.gif
K9LOVE
Os my bridge baby when I first got him used to eat ALL the carrots in the veggie rack.

Last night I came home to find cornflakes and weetabix all over the kitchen and hall. ohno.gif
Paco my pup had managed to get into the kitchen and ate everything on the worktop including 2 packets of aforesaid cereal and a packet of ginger nuts. What he didnt eat was left ALL over the kitchen and hall. mad.gif

Anyone want a GSD X Dobe hardly used. unsure.gif rolleyes.gif lol.gif
jennylm
Lively, our foster Grey will take your hand off for bread - I know they shouldn't have too much and we've changed from white to brown specially, he's such a thief, we've even found him sleeping on a loaf of bread - weirdo.

Molly loves dried apricots, love hearts (not many though), peas, green beans, rice, baileys (again, only a drop)....I could probably go on and on.
kerry1
Kerry and Molly will try again being greedy golden retrievers rolleyes.gif
Kerry goes mad for pears after looking for windfall she will pull them off the low branches to eat in my parents garden.

Molly loves bread and will try to get it before the ducks ohmy.gif
emmak
I have to put bread out for the birds on something high up as Sydney pinches it otherwise, even when it's gone all stale.

Today though he excelled himself by trying to eat a posy of artificial flowers. There was more destruction than digestion fortunately. (See my thread for pics lol.gif )
clairen
is there anything a dog wont eat given half the chance? lol.gif

they are scavengers after all - i've had my share of picky eating dogs, but the majority will eat anything they can, including spiders, dead flies, lol.gif to me though its not strange - tis quite normal, that why we have to be on watch for them snaffling stuff they shouldnt like fungi, toads, poo, chocolate, etc slugs and snails.... so while we out on walks....

barf feeds are all sorts of meat and veg, and many dogs love fruit too, so its not really that strange to them wink.gif

however it us up to us to make sure that what they eat however strange is safe smile.gif
i had a rott that liked apples - instead of a chew he'd take an apple - yet my collie will not tollerate them, he's violently ill if he gets one.... wink.gif

spudley
I don't post often but love this thread lol.gif

Sebastian my old boy will do anything to get hold of Savlon cream and a bar of soap, any brand will do he's not fussy lol.gif
jules41
mine love horse poo and my nag keeps them in a steady supply! (said nag loves bread and pears) an old foster from years back used to love melon. my oh's ex had a westie that loved lettuce but only romaine! rolleyes.gif
My pyr will do anything for a cube of cheese and the springer will eat anything lol.gif
barry the foster can smell a sausage at 100 paces!

oh and my bridge huskyx used to nick my brandy!
celery
Pippa has very strange tastes. Last week she tucked into an Oxford English Dictionary and my copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. So that's her vocab and grammer sorted... think I'll buy her a set of Encyclopaedia Britannica and expand her general knowledge now rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

our little godsend
My bridge boy Stripe liked pickled gerkins wacko.gif
Maddy's mama
My friends dog, Leo, eats his way through the orchard that we walk through! Any apples on the floor are devoured!
jules41
QUOTE(our little godsend @ 23rd Aug 2008, 8:45 pm) *

My bridge boy Stripe liked pickled gerkins wacko.gif

euww lol.gif
jennylm
Lively ate a moth last night - I'm gld because they scare the bejaysus out of me
magsy
My gang all love most fruit and Charlie will eat raw veg but the best is if I drop a frozen chip, he eats that too beofre cooking. Well he is a springer. Mags lol.gif
Owlish
QUOTE(celery @ 23rd Aug 2008, 8:40 pm) *

Pippa has very strange tastes. Last week she tucked into an Oxford English Dictionary and my copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. So that's her vocab and grammer sorted... think I'll buy her a set of Encyclopaedia Britannica and expand her general knowledge now rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Fizz will actually scrounge for a prawn (the rest of the time she never scrounges ooo.gif ) and waits ever so patiently until she gets one. And things in baguettes (esp. egg or cheese) go down well rolleyes.gif
Oops
Sascha is particularly found of JRT's tails, especially the stumpy type. unsure.gif

(Oh, and she emptied my 3 year-old's potty for him the other day... yikes.gif )
samuelsmum
Nice to hear that others' doglets eat fruit. Sam's not remotely interested in most food, but cut up a galia melon, and he's there like a shot. Also Braeburn apples go down a treat, but only little pieces, him being a yorkie! He is particular about varieties, any old apple is not good enough! lol.gif
DooBlog
QUOTE(Oops @ 24th Aug 2008, 1:45 pm) *

Sascha is particularly found of JRT's tails, especially the stumpy type. unsure.gif

(Oh, and she emptied my 3 year-old's potty for him the other day... yikes.gif )

lol.gif ohmy.gif lol.gif
Katblack
Yeah, the fluff off of tennis balls mad.gif

Oh, and poo, anyones will do he's not fussy ohmy.gif

Anyone wanna a Staffy???

(JOKE!)
woodysmum
It might be easier to reply to "strange things your dog won't eat" lol.gif lol.gif ...As if to prove the point on cue he's just had to be stopped from checking out the bin in here wot's just been filled ...with paper rolleyes.gif

Woody and me have a challenge to find a food he won't eat.....only things are things I won't...(tomatoes are forced down my mush so he spits them out, but he loves everything else )....not that daft is he wub.gif , guess I'm his taster lol.gif

QUOTE(spudley @ 23rd Aug 2008, 5:08 pm) *

I don't post often but love this thread lol.gif

Sebastian my old boy will do anything to get hold of Savlon cream and a bar of soap, any brand will do he's not fussy lol.gif

That was one of Woods' younger ones......but had to be my baby soap.......wouldn't touch hubby's smelly coal tar one wub.gif
Jo@thewilderness
Couple of weeks ago Meg stole and ate half a kilo of licorice. That expensive, lovely soft australian one.

It has the same effect on dogs as it does on humans yikes.gif

New foster, Dave, yesterday tried to eat starfish on the beach and seaweed. Maybe a taste for sushi? And the rest of the gang have already introduced him to nicking fruit and veg from the garden.
daveinswindon
A Jack Russell I look after for about 8 weeks a year will do anything for a carrot, or piece of carrot. If you put a plate of carrot down, and a plate of chicken, ham and beef, it will scoff the carrot first
Fi
Murphy is very continental in his tastes....

Anything italian - pizza, macaroni cheese, spaghetti bolognese and garlic bread are highly regarded finished with some ice-cream wink.gif
amber
Poor Oscar since he wasn't very well, lost weight and is on steroids at the mo will eat everything!!

I caught him eating a stray pistachio nut shell off the kitchen floor the other night!
jennylm
my OH's nan's dog Mikey yesterday ate melon. But even stranger for him he ate dog food - he usually has to have chicken grilled for him because he's really fussy and allowed to get away with murder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.