Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would Like Your Views
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
poverton
Hi,

Would be interested in your views about this situation.

Say for example, that you were interested in a dog from a website rescue. You phone up, and enquire about the dog - you are told to ring back later. You do so, and leave two messages, and send two e-mails.

When you ring up for a third time, the person on the phone is abrupt and rude. When you say you would like to travel to SEE the dog, you are told you are not suitable - because you don't want to TAKE the dog, and are not saying the RIGHT things.

After 45 mins of being argued with, ptronised and interrupted, you are allowed to visit. The rescue is not interested in meeting the other dogs or children, and no homecheck is suggested.

After travelling for nearly three hours, you meet the dog, decide you like it and take it with you. The dog is not neutered.

This is not a rescue on this site, but I'd be really interested to know what that would mean to you. Would you have put the phone down, or continued to 'take it' just so you could meet up with the dog. Would you also promise to take a dog, regardless of the fact you'd never met it.

Penny
x
Louisma
I would run a mile!

Sounds like an awful place run by awful people
Grotbag
QUOTE(poverton @ 22nd Aug 2008, 6:21 pm) *

When you ring up for a third time, the person on the phone is abrupt and rude. When you say you would like to travel to SEE the dog, you are told you are not suitable - because you don't want to TAKE the dog, and are not saying the RIGHT things.

This would make me run a mile.
Bevd
I'd have been backing awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay from the phone and gone elsewhere, which is a shame for the dog in question but I like to deal with people who are going to want to keep in touch (phone, email, xmas card etc) and who are going to want to laugh at my (many) pics rolleyes.gif I'd not want to deal with someone who couldn't even bestow common courtesy during the initial call.
Philip Turner
To me

It would mean run like heck in the opposite direction!

Of course you are going to want to meet the dog in question before you make a decision whether to take it or not... and your family...and any other dogs you may have too.

Phil
sprolliehouse
I am afraid I would probably (want to) say "What sort of ***king rescue ARE you?! Trying to force people into taking dogs whether they are suitable or not. You're an absolute disgrace!!" (you can sling another expletive in there if you like). And would probably actually say the toned down version...........so rather unlikely to ever get to meet the dog, myself...... err.gif

How much was the "donation" (note the inverted commas)?
romi
At least they are giving you the signal that they are rubbish at rescue.
Instead of welcoming you with big smiles, tea and biscuits.
Instead of providing selling you a dog dosed up just enough to get home on its feet; if you are lucky.
Instead of lying through their teeth.
Instead of ...well I won't go on.

Your people sound terrible and probably are.

Don't go there...you at least won't end up ripped off to the tune of many £100's of pounds because you have NOT been fooled.
poverton

QUOTE(romi @ 22nd Aug 2008, 8:01 pm) *

At least they are giving you the signal that they are rubbish at rescue.
Instead of welcoming you with big smiles, tea and biscuits.
Instead of providing selling you a dog dosed up just enough to get home on its feet; if you are lucky.
Instead of lying through their teeth.
Instead of ...well I won't go on.

Your people sound terrible and probably are.

Don't go there...you at least won't end up ripped off to the tune of many £100's of pounds because you have NOT been fooled.

The sad thing is romi - I did 'go there' and I put up with the most horrible conversation - and got Max at the end of it. Shameful isn't it - I know I'm not everyones cup of tea, but I think most would agree I would provide a good home err.gif

I've not posted about it so far, as I wanted to feel Max was really mine, but compared to speaking and visiting other rescues, some connected with this site,. it really is an eye opener how diferent rescues do things differently, and I have to say, how thorough the system is vis this website smile.gif
Maddy's mama
But what about the dog in question?? I would like to see this rescue organisation investigated not just avoided. Is there someone/somewhere who can be contacted to do this? However awful they are, it's not the fault of the dogs, infact, maybe they need rescuing from the rescuer!!!
poverton
I never met the charming man himself, but visited the foster home - who were wonderful and had done a great job - it was the initial contact, lack of homecheck and lack of neutering that concerns me. Fosterer was wonderful, and I will be keeping in contact with her in the short term regards updates etc.
romi
I am glad you have said that this rescue sourced Max to you.
I am a bit tired of peeps saying, 'no am not going to post' while the ££££grabbers get on with their trading.
NOT aimed at any current DPers btw.
Grotbag
QUOTE(romi @ 22nd Aug 2008, 9:56 pm) *

I am a bit tired of peeps saying, 'no am not going to post' while the ££££grabbers get on with their trading.
NOT aimed at any current DPers btw.

I don't follow...what do you mean?
Boysie
Honestly Penny? I would have run a mile. I would refuse to deal with a rescue who didn't insist on existing dogs meeting, homechecking or neutering (if the dog was old enough).
It took us over a year to find a companion for Boysie - partly due to us not wanting to continue initial dialogues with a couple of rescues. But it was worth the wait.
border collie
QUOTE(romi @ 22nd Aug 2008, 9:56 pm) *

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif me too but for a different reason, I thought she was going to get another bloomin dog rolleyes.gif

Anyway, you have got him now tongue.gif
romi
QUOTE(border collie @ 22nd Aug 2008, 10:14 pm) *

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif me too but for a different reason, I thought she was going to get another bloomin dog rolleyes.gif
Anyway, you have got him now tongue.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
Golden Fox
Are you in Derby by any chance?
Yorkshire lass
Was it a rescue or a Pound?

As we have said in threads before some Pounds call themselves Rescues because they dont PTS fter 7 days
lolbeck
I am glad you went, though don't condone the rudeness in any way, because if all responsible dog people boycott such places surely that leaves the dogs at greater risk of ending up in unsuitable homes... After all they don't get to choose the rescue they end up in.

Did the rescue in question have charitable status and, if so, is there any protocol or standards attached to this? If not I would suggest that this would be as valid a campaign as the other petitions I have seen on the site and the more experienced amongst you could maybe look into this.

If you do my only other comment would be don't price the little local rescues out of it. Our local rescue, run by fab people who homecheck and do follow up visits (and spend every weekend running a fundraising stall just to pay for food, kennelling, emergency vet treatment etc) simply can not afford to neuter or vacinate all the dogs.
Tzumit
When I was looking for another dog I have to say I put up with rudeness, incompetence, no replies to enquiries, misinformation driving miles only to find the dog was not anything like they had indicated and in fact, in one case, being a different sex. Condescending and holier than thou attitudes.

However, we wanted another rescue and were told previously that some rescues are just so busy they seem to forget the people skills when dealing with the general public. At the end of the day it is the dogs that suffer, it is not their fault that they are there and if people walk away and/or give up because of the way they are greeted or not replied to then that is another dog that does not find a home that week.

We were warned and told to have very broad shoulders when contacting some rescues, wait for replies, then try again, if you were really sure the dog was for you keep trying, don’t become a nuisance, but don’t give up. I have one rescue dog here that had no vet check, a hernia that needed fixing, not vaxed, no homecheck, no backup calls, and no word from the rescue since we got her. We did sign paperwork, but we did not give a “donation” as we knew we were in for hefty vet bills as soon as we got her. We think they just wanted rid, but that’s another story.

Rescues are very busy and the majority do a fantastic job, short staffed, paperwork and phone calls up to their eyeballs, but somehow they cope and are welcoming, concerned and interested. Some members of the public can be and are a complete pain in the butt and sometimes also very rude and indifferent themselves so it is not all one-sided.

Getting dogs good homes and the best health they can have, comfort, confidence and care should be the priority if rudeness and a lack of contact comes your way from a rescue or member of the public invest in some broad shoulders, kick the wall and rant, but try not to give up it is worth it in the end.
romi
QUOTE(lolbeck @ 23rd Aug 2008, 8:25 am) *

I am glad you went, though don't condone the rudeness in any way, because if all responsible dog people boycott such places surely that leaves the dogs at greater risk of ending up in unsuitable homes... After all they don't get to choose the rescue they end up in.

Did the rescue in question have charitable status and, if so, is there any protocol or standards attached to this? If not I would suggest that this would be as valid a campaign as the other petitions I have seen on the site and the more experienced amongst you could maybe look into this.

If you do my only other comment would be don't price the little local rescues out of it. Our local rescue, run by fab people who homecheck and do follow up visits (and spend every weekend running a fundraising stall just to pay for food, kennelling, emergency vet treatment etc) simply can not afford to neuter or vacinate all the dogs.

Who is that rescue Lobeck? smile.gif
lolbeck
I'll pm you, Romi.

I should also add that the rescue in question have conditions of adoption which include issues such as neutering, vaccinations, no breeding, general welfare etc and a requirement to return the animal if it can not be kept.

I have a lot of time for these people and in no way want my comments to look like a criticism.
sweetie
Thats awful. ohmy.gif lets hope they were maybe just having a bad day and aren't normally like this smile.gif

If you hadn't continued Max would still be there and missed his chance of a great home smile.gif
poverton
You see, most of you have rightly said that you would have just put the phone down - my husband was amazed I put up with it to be honest. This is a well known website, and he did indeed inform me that he had rehomed 900 of a specific breed, so he knew what he was talking about!!

He told me on several occassions that I wasn't saying what he wanted to hear, that he'd spoken to people like me before and they'd got nowhere, and that unless I was prepared to take Max he wouldn't let me visit. He wasn't 'interested' in my children or other dogs and how they would react, as Max needed a good home and wasn't at fault and therefore would be fine with my children. (My children could be monsters for all he knew)

He told me he had purposely not replied to my calls, as he wanted to test how serious I was, and that he thought it disgusting when I revealed I had visited other dogs in my search - why would I want to do that? I obviosuly wasn't commited to having Max!

He then told me I was not very clever as I had forgotten to tell him my vets address via my original e-mail, and told me that only if a vet was prepared to speak to him when he rang, and only if he liked what he heard would I be allowed Max. After 45 minutes of being insulted (nobody normally lasts 5 minutes with me to be honest) he said in his most patronising voice

" Now - so what are you going to do now?"
"Email you the vet address"
"And then what are you going to do?"
"Ask the vet to speak to you"
"Do you think you can do that?"
"Yes."
"Your'e getting quite angry aren't you, why is that?"
"Because you are being argumentative and I don't understand why"
"If you don't say what I want to hear, your'e not worth talking to"

It was a bit like having a conversation with Hannibal Lecter smile.gif

If wasn't as strong as I was, I would have put the phone down, but I figured Max deserved a good home so I persevered. How theyv'e managed to rehome 900 dogs is a mystery to me - unless of course he hates women and is charming to men!!

You seriously wouldn't have believed it. But then the foster home was charming, Max in perfect condition, and we have a super little chap - maybe it was his way of testing commitment? err.gif

muddywetjulie
Good heavens Penny, how on earth did you remain so self controlled ohmy.gif Im totally gobsmacked.
DooBlog
ohmy.gif I'm totally shocked by the attitude of this patronising idiot. Well done you for keeping your cool but for heavens sake doesn't he want to rehome these dogs? His attitude would have made most people select a few choose swear words and hang up, it's made me angry just reading about it. mad.gif
Bunter1
QUOTE(poverton @ 23rd Aug 2008, 12:08 pm) *
Details of a very rude, condescending, belittling and patronising phone call yikes.gif

I am shocked and stunned by this man's attitude. From where I'm standing he has no-one's best interests at heart (except maybe his ego). Not yours, not your familys and not the dogs. ohmy.gif

To devil.gif er

He would indeed have felt the (very) rough edge of my tongue and I would have told him that Max may, or may not, have been the right dog for me, but due to his disgusting attitude now we'll never know mad.gif .

Such as shame when people like this sully the name of other, brilliant rescues. Imagine it you'd had no experience of rescue other than this man? You would never go down the rescue route again sad.gif .

I admire you for being able to keep your cool in the face of such a devil.gif wit.
Appletonfosterhome
sad.gif I must be the odd one here! I would have been very pleasant and acted dumb and gone to this place as soon as I could and got every dog out of there that I possibly could. If they cant give humans common courtesy, how are they treating the animals. Well done for saving one poor soul. x
romi
very tempting to do that, presuming it was in a reasonable distance
Maddy's mama
I'm still very concerned about the dogs he is claiming to be rescuing. They are innocent in all this & even if people avoid this man/rescue, what is going to happen to the dogs????????
jules41
the most worrying thing to me is....what happens if there is a problem once you get the dog home? doesn't sound to me as if you would get much back up from this person!
poverton
The dogs seem to be fine - as I said the fosterer was lovely, and very welcoming with very happy (9) dogs in the house plus Max.

I'm not worried about the rescue organisation, but how many people is this man putting off? I can assure with all my heart, when on the phone I am polite, genuine and friendly - I really am just fine, am a genuine person with no ulterior motives - so to take offence at me - it can't possibly be me, I can assure you.

I persevered because I was constantly aware throughout the conversation that I thought Max sounded from the website that he would be suitable to join ALL of my family - had it not been a dog in need involved, I would have told him what I thought of him and put the phone down.

I am still wondering whether to e-mail him with my thoughts - to be honest I think he has a God complex, and needs to be taken down a peg or two.

If I was a liar - he would be none the wiser - I could have gone up there by myself and just taken a very attractive un-neutered dog home with me. I feel quite sad for him. He obviously is very self-deluded. It's a good job I'm honest. What if it had been a female?
Grotbag
Which rescue was it?
poverton
PM'd you

Penny
x
border collie
QUOTE(poverton @ 23rd Aug 2008, 11:06 pm) *

PM'd you

Penny
x

pm meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooooo
romi
hannnn meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

wink.gif

i doooo wannna sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.