Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Archie-lee
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
johnderondon
A Rottweiler which mauled its owners' 13-month-old grandson to death had been kept in a yard and not walked for five months, an inquest has heard.

Mike Mullen, a canine consultant, said the Rottweiler did not have enough "mental stimulation" in the back yard where she was kept.

The inquest was told how Archie-Lee's grandparents had bought the animal about six months before the fatal attack from a person they knew in a pub.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7576074.stm

Poor boy. Poor dog. Poor family.

A totally avoidable tragedy.

Dog Ownership Test!
DooBlog
So heartbreaking, such a beautiful baby and that poor dog bored out if it's mind. sad.gif
My heart goes out to the family.
Owlish

What an absolutely avoidable situation this whole thing was. If not for people's stupidity a baby and a dog would still be alive sad.gif

From the Guardian:

Speaking after the inquest at Wakefield Coroner's Court, Archie-Lee's paternal grandfather Andrew Williamson echoed coroner David Hincliff's call for more stringent laws and said he wanted new legislation to demand that all dogs are kept muzzled.
err.gif
sally s
poor child. poor dog. no comment on those who felt it appropriate to leave a dog stuck in a back yard for months on end with no mental stimulation, company or outlet for its energies. i hardly think a muzzle was the answer to that particular situation.
nikirushka
QUOTE(Owlish @ 22nd Aug 2008, 4:42 pm) *

What an absolutely avoidable situation this whole thing was. If not for people's stupidity a baby and a dog would still be alive sad.gif
From the Guardian:

err.gif

So would all dogs be muzzles 24/7 then? How does he think that is an appropriate solution, given that this happened at home?

Dreadful for the family and for the dog, and totally avoidable. I despair at the way things are going, I really do.
anneski
To heck with muzzling the dogs, let's put chastity belts on the morons who keep breeding more morons! mad.gif

Poor lad, and poor dog - what a total waste of lives!
cloverleaf61
QUOTE(anneski @ 22nd Aug 2008, 5:44 pm) *

To heck with muzzling the dogs, let's put chastity belts on the morons who keep breeding more morons! mad.gif

Couldnt have put it better myself!! Stupid people mad.gif
sallysmam
QUOTE(anneski @ 22nd Aug 2008, 5:44 pm) *

metoo.gif
sprolliehouse
"Speaking after the inquest at Wakefield Coroner's Court, Archie-Lee's paternal grandfather Andrew Williamson echoed coroner David Hincliff's call for more stringent laws and said he wanted new legislation to demand that all dogs are kept muzzled."

I know these people are bereaved, but do they not plan to accept ANY responsibility themselves? For God's sake!! mad.gif

katjab
Mr Hinchliff told the court that no blame should be placed on Archie-Lee's aunt, who did all she could.

I was quite touched by that.... that poor girl, 16 years old and left to care for 3 young children and a troubled dog. That experience will haunt her for the rest of her life. err.gif
Matthew W
"there was insufficient evidence to secure a criminal conviction."

I'm not surprised, but I **AM** disgusted!!
minniemoo
Surely 5months of leaving a poor dog in a back yard is cruelty and is sufficient to warrant a criminal conviction.....I know this family have paid the price big time with the death of that poor baby.....however I for one would feel happier if they had been banned from ever owning a dog again.
johnderondon
QUOTE(Matthew W @ 22nd Aug 2008, 7:48 pm) *

"there was insufficient evidence to secure a criminal conviction."

I'm not surprised, but I **AM** disgusted!!

In most such cases there is rarely a prosecution - it's not considered to be in the public interest. They lost Archie-Lee. They paid. There's nothing a court can do after that.
johnderondon
QUOTE(minniemoo @ 22nd Aug 2008, 10:37 pm) *

Surely 5months of leaving a poor dog in a back yard is cruelty and is sufficient to warrant a criminal conviction

Providing there was adequate food, water and shelter then - historically - no.

The AWA offers scope but I've yet to hear of anyone prosecuted for not walking their dog.
CrazyDog
QUOTE(sprolliehouse @ 22nd Aug 2008, 7:27 pm) *

"Speaking after the inquest at Wakefield Coroner's Court, Archie-Lee's paternal grandfather Andrew Williamson echoed coroner David Hincliff's call for more stringent laws and said he wanted new legislation to demand that all dogs are kept muzzled."

I know these people are bereaved, but do they not plan to accept ANY responsibility themselves? For God's sake!! mad.gif

I was thinking the same. The "blame" appears to be at the dogs door, when the dog was clearly just another victim of idiot owners. Unfortunatley it's the victims who have paid the prices for this.

What is the answer? sad.gif
Matthew W
QUOTE(johnderondon @ 22nd Aug 2008, 11:27 pm) *

In most such cases there is rarely a prosecution - it's not considered to be in the public interest. They lost Archie-Lee. They paid. There's nothing a court can do after that.

I would consider it to be in the public interest.

Yes, they lost Archie Lee, but it was entirely their fault. It shouldn't necessarily have to be a long custodial sentence, nor even a large fine. It could be a suspended sentence (the likelihood of reoffending being so small as to be negligible), but there is definite public interest to acknowledging *why* this tragedy occurred.

By absolving this family (and others like them) of blame, it sends out the message that they did nothing wrong. Their child was killed because of their negligence. That is not acceptable. Or more to the point - it shouldn't be.
johnderondon
QUOTE(CrazyDog @ 23rd Aug 2008, 9:50 am) *

What is the answer? sad.gif

this
Claireand Daisy
There was a case recently where a father was prosecuted (and found guilty) of causing his daughter`s death - she was riding a mini-motor bike. The Judge said he had caused the death `through sheer stupidity`. This surely was another case where the adults in chagre of the children (and no, 16 year-old is not an adult) should have been prosecuted for this totally avoidable tragedy? I don`t understand why the parents or grandparents weren`t held responsible. They all seem to be hiding behind the skirts of the poor child left to babysit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.