Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dap Spray
Dogpages forums > General forums > Training and behaviour...
Tracey74
I have been using DAP stray for a week now in the car and its worked wonders on Lola's travel sickness. She no longer spends the journey drooling (we're talking mega drooling here! lol.gif ) and hasn't been sick at all! She now spends most of the journey asleep or at least head down chilled out! I just can't believe the effect that its had on her (I've tried everything in the past 6 months and just came across this a couple of weeks ago on the net!).

I know its supposed to give off the same vibes that a mother gives to her young and all that....but how is it "harvested"? Is it natural, synthetic or do they do something horrible to get it??

Also has anyone else had any success with it - just wondered if I was the only one who feels as though they have won the lottery!!! lol.gif (it had got that bad! I've never known a dog to be able to produce so much sick at once that soaked into my car seats on a daily basis!!!! rolleyes.gif ).

I am so excited at having found it! tongue.gif
Sandy&Spirit
Its synthetic lol.gif

Ive been umming and arring debating wether or not to get one for Sandy.
Tracey74
QUOTE(Sandy&Spirit @ 21st Aug 2008, 11:41 pm) *

Its synthetic lol.gif

Ive been umming and arring debating wether or not to get one for Sandy.

Phew! rolleyes.gif I was starting to remember how they collect musk err.gif

Honestly though.....I had my doubts when I first saw it, especially seeing as though it was 16 but its been wonderful! Although works best when I spray it 15 mins and then let her in the car. She doesn't need any on the way home as I guess its on her blanket!

Whats up with Sandy?
Sandy&Spirit
Sandy gets very anxious in the car, he pants and drools an awful lot even with windows open. He wont settle and tries and paces around

We will be transporting him from Edinburgh in our car after his operation, so i was worries what he would be like in the car after his operation.

I was thinking of getting his DAP collar for around the house aswell
Tracey74
QUOTE(Sandy&Spirit @ 22nd Aug 2008, 12:14 am) *

Sandy gets very anxious in the car, he pants and drools an awful lot even with windows open. He wont settle and tries and paces around

We will be transporting him from Edinburgh in our car after his operation, so i was worries what he would be like in the car after his operation.

I was thinking of getting his DAP collar for around the house aswell

Awwww....bless err.gif I tried literally everything with Lola - windows down (to the point where I have nearly froze! rolleyes.gif ), stopping halfway (she is sick around 15 minutes into a journey) etc.... I just can't believe how different she is (her coat at the front used to be drenched and sticky wink.gif after 10 mins!). I should be a sales rep for the stuff!!!!! lol.gif

I thought about a collar but I wanted to try and isolate the DP spray to see if it had an effect so tried the spray first. But it works - wooooohooooooo! Can you tell just how excited I am! lol.gif

My Dad told me off today for "drugging her up" as she was just so chilled out!!!! I tried to explain what it was but he didn't really get it! rolleyes.gif
Sandy&Spirit
Ill throw the concept at Sandy's nurse for his next check up, I cant see how a pheramone would interfere with his operation and recovery. But just to be on the safe side.

If she gives us the ok nod, ill probably get some for the car and maybe the one u plug in to the electrics for the house
Tracey74
QUOTE(Sandy&Spirit @ 22nd Aug 2008, 12:25 am) *

Ill throw the concept at Sandy's nurse for his next check up, I cant see how a pheramone would interfere with his operation and recovery. But just to be on the safe side.

If she gives us the ok nod, ill probably get some for the car and maybe the one u plug in to the electrics for the house

If you get the latter let me know how it goes - I was thinking about getting one of those for thunderstorms as she normally keeps us up all night if it rains hard/lightening/thunder!

Hope op goes well. smile.gif
Brammie
I use the collar as Poppys fears are all noise related. It does seem to have helped a great deal but when shes having a panic attack (she really freaks out) although shorter they are more intense.
hollysmom
I have just ordered a collar for my little Lucy (JRT) as she's constantly barking when I'm out of the house and getting complaints from neighbours, I'll let you know how we get on.
Trailhoundann
Glad to hear DAP spray is helping. We have used the plug in + spray for our Trailhound who has been so terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks. It has taken a while but she is just so much calmer with them now. I think it is brilliant stuff (just wish it wasn't quite so expensive but there you go). Have just bought a DAP collar for the first time for our other traillie who seems a bit overanxious at present so hopefully that will be just as successful outdoors.

Ann
cherryontop
I tried the collar and the spray when we first brought home our retriever puppy and they didn't seem to make much of a difference (at least, if they did, god knows what she would have been like otherwise). She was exactly the same whether we used them or not.

It does mimic pheromones given off by female dogs but I wonder if it's only fully effective on mature dogs?
kittibelle
Hey there

DAP or Dog Appeasing Pheromone is a synthetically produced version of the pheromone given off from the bitch when the pups are between 3-5 days old and beyond. At this point in time the pups felt very secure and had everything they required to feel at ease at that point, and the pheromone should take them back to feeling secure and by this feel reassured to keep them calmer in situations they usually feel uncomfortable in because they are feeling reassured in a positive way. It is very good for settling new pups and dogs into new homes and also very good for travel sickness caused by anxiety. Also very good on unsure dogs in novel situations such as going to the vet etc. There are quite a few uses for it and have to say having used it on quite a few dogs i love the stuff. But as with everything will not work for everyone.

Kittibelle smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.