Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Type Of 'looks' In Dogs
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Pages: 1, 2
Owlish
Clearly temperament is the most important factor when choosing a dog, but that aside for a moment, I have been frivolously musing on the more aesthetic side of things grin.gif

I've realised that as time goes on, I'm getting less drawn to particular breeds, and more to certain characteristics. This is more obvious to me here as people I only know through DP know what dogs I'm likely to fall for, and they've all got certain things in common lol.gif

So without naming specific breeds - what are you drawn to? My list is:

Size: Medium to large size
Build: Slim / rangy
Coat: Semi long coat - preferably with fluffy knickers
Colour: Darker colors - not so much white or pale dogs
Usually dark faces - though not always
Ears: Total mix of uppies and downies lol.gif
Tail: (Now Sweetie has reminded me!) One that covers their bum lol.gif

Jake is the boy that I currently keep gazing longingly at and wishing for a lottery win for wub.gif
Nina K

I fall for beautiful eyes! wub.gif

Especially love wall eyes. wink.gif
jakeysmum
Any with three/four legs lol.
Actually that isn't far from the truth, I like big dogs, wrinkly slobbery, hairy, intelligent. I like pointies, blunties, little fiesty ones. I think working types is probably the best description, i'm not a fan of small lap dog types, unless they are a terrier!
Well, you did ask! I think the variation shows in the dogs we have owned ; corgi cross, collie, jrt, lab, jrt cross dachs, and soon dogue de bordeux lol.gif x
Kay&Stone
I'm just drawn to LARGE!
Jake is just wub.gif
kerry1
Ok I'm drawn to

Size: Medium to enormous
Build: Medium build but not obese
Coat: Long furry coat, denser the better
Colour: Prefer blondes and tans
Nice expressive face with eyebrows that answer you tongue.gif
Ears: Silky ears
Tail: Must have one that hides bum most of time lol.gif
Sandy&Spirit

It was love at first sight when i saw Sandy's eyes and smile wub.gif
sweetie

I like

Size: small
Build: smllish - medium
Coat: Long/short soft silky coat
Colour: tri coloured or black and tan (because I love the eyebrows lol.gif )
Ears: Silky long ears
Tail: one that wags lol.gif

Owlish
QUOTE(kerry1 @ 21st Aug 2008, 10:21 pm) *

Tail: Must have one that hides bum most of time lol.gif

Oh my god! I can't believe I forgot that one and it's something I'm always being laffed at for! I do like dogs bums to be covered up rolleyes.gif lol.gif
yogurtpot
I have a bit of a thing for collies and collie crosses, but wouldn't say no to most dogs! smile.gif
romi
He is a bit fabby...I fink he is an Irish rogue

lol.gif
lol.gif
Owlish
QUOTE(romi @ 21st Aug 2008, 10:37 pm) *

He is a bit fabby...I fink he is an Irish rogue
lol.gif
lol.gif

There's a lot of it about lol.gif Now Missus answer the question mad.gif

tongue.gif
amber
That Jake is gorgeous!

I do like pointy, athletic, slim dogs I suppose, but pretty much most except the squashy faced, no tail ones.

I couldn't believe that the rescue linked to (where Jake is) say they have a 'waiting list' of people wanting to adopt ohmy.gif . I guess flatcoat x must be very popular.
romi
QUOTE(Owlish @ 21st Aug 2008, 10:47 pm) *

There's a lot of it about lol.gif Now Missus answer the question mad.gif

tongue.gif

OKAYYYY
Size: Medium
Build: Slimish
Coat: Semi long coat - preferably with fluffy knickers
Colour: Darker colors - not so much white or pale dogs
Faces - eyes that look into my soul
Ears: Charismatic
Tail: As it comes, but (please) not a clamp-bum when it needs attention, prefer a sigh-and -lay-down to see to my needs dog

now that's the dog

what else can I share

lol.gif
romi
QUOTE(amber @ 21st Aug 2008, 10:50 pm) *

That Jake is gorgeous!

I do like pointy, athletic, slim dogs I suppose, but pretty much most except the squashy faced, no tail ones.

I couldn't believe that the rescue linked to (where Jake is) say they have a 'waiting list' of people wanting to adopt ohmy.gif . I guess flatcoat x must be very popular.

I think they are

unsure.gif
gothbob84
Im fairly happy with any type of dog but these are my requirements:

Size: large enough to not damage easily (no small lap dog types)
Build: not excessively fat or thin
Coat: low maintenace coat any type
Colour: prefer lighter colours and love mearle collies
Ears: pointy or floppy ears but not anything exteme
Tail: lovelly long tail, preferably non poofy due to grooming issue

basically something dog shaped with no extra/exteme bits (like "furnishings" or no nose etc)

sonya1
I am more interested in temprement than looks, but I am not keen on massive dogs, or tiny ones, or ones that look overly 'fancy' or exaggerated. I like a dog that looks like it can run and have fun and looks like a dog!

However, I guess we are instinctively drawn to dogs that look like dogs we have liked or loved in the past - so I do have a soft spot for little ginger terrier/corgi types!

Having said that, when I was small we had a jack russell and a golden retriever, followed by a rescued for terrier x, followed by two collie terier x's, and I always have a soft spot for dogs that remind me of them, then as an adult I have had two small non-descript mixed breeds, the first of which was the ginger one, who I accidentay resced when I liberated her from a pen in the garden of a abandoned house - I was taking her to a local rescue, but somehow I never got around to it!

She died last spring, and is now followed by Badger, who has been here almost a year, a little tri coloured mixed breed corgi/collie x type dog!
SANDY A
This type wub.gif wub.gif

The bigger the better!!

Sandy and Troy xx
Sammi P
Big Beefy black and tan - go on guess rolleyes.gif

So why have i got a small, stocky white EBT lol.gif

I have a thing for black and tan dogs

i love big dogs in general

ohhh Sandy he is gorgeous *faints*
zaksmum
Anything black n tan rolleyes.gif large, small, long haired, short haired, the lot, just lurve black n tans wub.gif lol.gif
GSDSian
I don't do tiny dogs and I don't do huge dogs. But medium to large is good.

I've also got a thing for black and tan dogs.

and beards - I love beards and eyebrows. unsure.gif
lil_angel
small to medium
tendancy towards hounds
smooth coat generally but then again i love Border Collies
big brown eyes wub.gif
Inca's Mum
Um - sticky-up-ears wub.gif (don't tell Teazle)

Eyebrow bobbles that go up and down.

Beautiful eyes.

Athletic build - not too heavy or too fragile looking (don't tell Teazle wink.gif )

Lovely thick (but not necessarily long) fur that you can sink your fingers into smile.gif

Would have always said BIG (like Inx) until Twiglet came along unsure.gif and I lurrrvvve her wub.gif

Wouldn't have gone for a curly-up tail... ditto rolleyes.gif (mind you, she does have these neat likkul trousers that hide her bits blush.gif

Almost any colour but not drawn to a lot of white... Dark muzzles are especially tongue.gif

Rainbow Jo
I love the look of some dogs I wouldn't feel able to live with. I adore samoyeds, gsds and leonbergers, but I'm not sure I could cope with all that hair!!

So, my list for dogs I would like to live with are:

Size: small/medium (cocker spaniel size)
Build: solid but athletic
Coat: scruffy looking, preferably low to non shedding
Colour: all
Usually nothing exaggerated (overly flat or pointy), just a doggy face
Ears: no preference
Tail: low natural tail carriage, so other dogs don't think they're being aggressive.

I've just got my puppy, who fits most of those, except he has a high tail carriage.
Brammie
Size: Smaller side of medium
Build: Slim
Coat: Semi long coat
Colour: Any but i do like my merles, tris or black tuxedos
Faces: Charismatic and not squished err.gif
Ears: Pointy is ok but prefer
Tail: Long and floaty and verrrrrrrry waggy

Basically a Hebe or a Poppy
choccymutt
i lurvvvvv choccy doggies

here is my bridgebaby COCOA

but i loves our springer cross Charlie wub.gif and our choccymutt Dexter wub.gif

-------like chalk and cheese tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

cheryl xx
shortl
Size: Medium to Large [larger side of Medium, only exception to that is I like staffies rolleyes.gif
Build: Any type really, considering pointies and rotties are in my desired breeds lol.gif
Coat: Deff low maintenance, short coated.
Colour: Darker colours seems to be it, although I love Fresian type markings
Ears: Any wub.gif
Tail: 'normal' dunno.gif

QUOTE(SANDY A @ 21st Aug 2008, 11:33 pm) *

He is wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
nikirushka
Medium to large, not too hairy (altho I love huskies), and *insert colour here* & tan lol.gif

Right now I have four *ich* & tans - one red, one fawn and two black. Gets me every time wub.gif
agilitylace
Size : Medium - small
Coat : mid length like a bit of wavy fur although not a major consideration
Build : althetic or the potential to be
Colour : black and white / black ( although not fussy)
Temperment: the crazier , more mental , more neurotic the better
Ears: have a special weakness for spaniel ears and collie one up one down ears

loves anything remotely collie or spaniel wub.gif and preferably the more trouble the better smile.gif
ebd
I do a have a preference for a certain look.... wink.gif

Mr Chile:

Mr Cabbage:

Monsieur Linky:

Fraulein Nora:

Miss Taffy Twoshoes:

I'm simply drawn to rough collies and shelties. I love everything about them. Probably because by chance my first canine friend was a sheltie (Taffy wub.gif ) and I completely, totally, and utterly lost my heart.
dufuslara
LARGE dogs. The bigger the better. I have no idea why, as we've had such an assortment over the years - mostly mid-sized mongrels...some long haired, some short - quite the variety. But I like em BIG. Slobbery. Short haired.
Piglet acts like a big dog - and is mighty heavy these days...so not a bad job.
Nothing 'against' them as such, but I've never been a fan of little dogs. My mate has a pug who has a gorgeous temperament - just not 'attracted' to it as such. Have had friends with westies and yorkshire terriers - again, lovely dogs, just not my 'type'.
You can't help what you're instantly attracted to, can you...
SarahL
Erm,
Size: anything that isnt too small. Terriers are good though because they have big dog natures.
Colour: anything
Ears: on the head. Up, down, bent over, whatever
Face shape: Not drawn to flat faces.
Tail: out of the end. Up, down, curly, whatever.
Temperament: having a 'personality', no robo-dogs for me!

But all dogs are cute.
Bellassz1
QUOTE(sonya1 @ 21st Aug 2008, 11:31 pm) *

I am not keen on massive dogs, or tiny ones, or ones that look overly 'fancy' or exaggerated. I like a dog that looks like it can run and have fun and looks like a dog!

metoo.gif

Size: Medium (usually the larger side of medium)
Build: Not too ribby but not chubby - anything inbetween
Coat: Short-ish
Colour: Any, although all the dogs I've had so far that were 'my own' (ie not parent's) have been tan or gingery. A trend I didn't notice until recently!
Faces: Anything that isn't squished. Black tho - and I don't know why. Anything snuffly wub.gif
Ears: Idon't mind - but again all 3 dogs have had floppy ones - some more floppy than others rolleyes.gif
Tail: So long as it's happy.. and THERE!

Doggiedevotion
I seem to be drawn to :

really old
Greying muzzle
limpy legs
a bit smelly wub.gif
looks that only a mum would love!!
Maybe a few missing teeth or sticking out tongue

As soon as I see one like that, I go all mushy and want them! smile.gif

Tracey74
QUOTE(ebd @ 22nd Aug 2008, 9:20 am) *

I do a have a preference for a certain look.... wink.gif

I'm simply drawn to rough collies and shelties. I love everything about them. Probably because by chance my first canine friend was a sheltie (Taffy wub.gif ) and I completely, totally, and utterly lost my heart.

wub.gif wub.gif Wow! They're lovely! This happened to me - I was brought up with 2 Shelties; Sally and Prince. Then got my first RC (Toby) when I was 14 and had him from being a pup through to when he left me for the bridge at 13 wub.gif

Then I adopted a 9 year old RC (Coco) as I couldn't bare the thought of her living outside in her retirement years with a breeder, who was my soul dog for 5 years until she left for the bridge early this year (please note I wasn't abusing her in this pic - she just loved wrapping herself around my legs!):

and now I have Lola - adopted from DP in Feb! wub.gif

The pic posted on here by Allbreeds Rescue: (which I clearly fell for!)

and now.......

But having said that - I love any dogs, esp medium sized dogs upwards. But the ones that really steal my heart are collie or GSD or Lurcher types with hairy or sticky up ears!!!! lol.gif

Sorry to have taken up so much space! wink.gif
dbpayne
long noses and long ears wub.gif

failing that, the bigger the better, in particular GSD looking wub.gif
Eco Worrier
Until I had Fred I thought I liked medium dogs, as they seemed a sensible size. But it is so nice to have a dog that I can cuddle up with on the sofa, or have sitting on my lap on a crowded train or bus.

I like lots of different types apart from that, sometimes I'm surprised by the dogs I'm drawn to but I do really like terrier types.
sarah2482
Any dogs with tons of personality.

I have to say my favourites are:

Chops
And...

Mutts!
poverton
Without mentioning breeds!! lol.gif I like 'Gundoggy' types - Medium to large, expresive eyes, hangy ears, mid to longish coats, nice laverage size muzzles and features, and a nice tidy bum.

I have two spaniels now, and they both have very clean, neat bums!!!!!

And tails that hand down, and feathering. You get the picture rolleyes.gif

essexgirl
GSDs, GSD types, anything GSDish plus a sneaky fondness for white fluffy dogs

Jake is a bit gorgeous isn't he....
nicky H
I love anything with a face only a mother could love, something that looks like its been hit in the face with a spade and has 500 wrinkles & flab. Lots of slobber & droopy chops.

Yis i am strange lol.gif
Bedlington Terror
I like dogs that look like this......

and this.....

and kissable scnozzes like this ...

Oh my ... they just happen to look like my very own little ole men!! tongue.gif rolleyes.gif lol.gif

ljane74
I like ones that have got cheeky smiley faces. This is what i fell for at the kennels 5 years ago. For some reason we've always had lab/collie crosses ever since i was little!!! And he's so good with the kids. He always greet the baby with a quick lick of the toes if she's got nothing on her feet!

hayleyk
The bigger the better! lol.gif I love all bull breeds and rotties wub.gif Shorthaired dogs for me, usually lacking the ability to keep water in their gobs rolleyes.gif
dawnmb
hmmmmm

SIze-doesn't matter
coat-nothing to fluffy-
color-darkish

i don't know......I have two smallies, love pointies-but really get pulled by a certain "something"

rolleyes.gif pathetic. I don't know.......I guess scruffys pull me in when it comes to looking at photos, nice scruffy mutts. lol.gif The scruffier the better. wink.gif (well-birds of a feather stick together tongue.gif )
DooBlog
All of the above. grin.gif
Jo Green
Black & Tan wub.gif
janeddie
Must be big, scruffy and naughty with bags of character/attitutude and preferably a terrier type lol.gif Think I may just have one of those smile.gif
hdavies
i dont think this exists, but what id love is as small as a kitten, with little to no hair and big ears...thinking about it i may want a sprite!
nickijm
Large, hairy and scruffy looking grin.gif
Ragsysmum
Anything old but preferably 'houndie' types.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.