Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haematoma Following Castration
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Bella
Our poor puppy who is a 9month old setter was castrated last Friday. This morning he was really ill, couldn't pass water, didn't want to move and very hot to touch. We phoned the vet and they said to take him there straight away.

After examination we were told he has a very high temperature, is in extreme pain due to a haematoma in his scrotum following the removal of his testes, and has an infection. He was given ABOs, pain killer and steroid injections (with tablets to take over the next week), and he now has a buster collar on to stop him biting himself, which he has been doing for several days. We asked for a buster collar following the surgery, but were told he was ok and wasn't bothering with his stitches.

He has spent most of the day sitting or laying in front of an electric fan to try to reduce his temperature. He is still very ill, we have to carry him outside, where thankfully he has passed water twice this afternoon.

I have had several dogs castrated over the years, but, have never had this happen.
Has anybody else ever had to deal with this problem following their dog being castrated?
Gnasher
No experience but just wanted to wish you and him all the best hug.gif

I hope he has a good night and is a lot better in the morning hug.gif
border collie
metoo.gif what she said and............................we should all insist on collars, how can the vet know what will happen at home?

I would have gone for a collar when you first saw him biting himself a few days ago sad.gif
Bella

I would have gone for a collar when you first saw him biting himself a few days ago sad.gif
[/quote]

I would have done only the Vets we go to are about 20miles away, and I am unable to drive due to having a knee replacement, so although we were going today to get one, obviously this 'emergency' happened.
I Love MY Cookie
hug.gif hug.gif Hope he is better soon

katherine

XXX
border collie
QUOTE(Bella @ 21st Aug 2008, 10:54 pm) *

I would have done only the Vets we go to are about 20miles away, and I am unable to drive due to having a knee replacement, so although we were going today to get one, obviously this 'emergency' happened.

err.gif oh no, in that case the flippin vets should be dishing collars out and saying full refund if you bring it back unused.

would arnica help?
halfpenny
Anica Cream, Arnica tabs and ice back to rear if you can.......Love and will send loads of reiki to your boy.

Love 7 Hugs

Edith
Bella
Thanks for the good vibes etc, this morning he is walking on his own, he even had a potter around the garden and managed to go to the toilet smile.gif
Its amazing how such little things can make you feel so much better rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.