Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joint Sticks
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
boxermad1984
Do these joint sticks actually work that pedigree have produced?

What do they actually do?

Would you give them to your dog before (if) dog gets joint problems or when the do?

I just want to know really whether it would be better to put our deerhoundx on some joint sticks as hes 9plus and whether its worth doing it to help with joints if was to have problems with them etc?
nicky H
I wouldnt rely on a pedigree chew to treat joint problems

My oldies have glucosamine in their meals and a small amount of cod liver oil now and again
riotous_uk
tbh, you'd be better off buying Cortaflex. It'll work out cheaper in the long run than the Pedigree stuff
boxermad1984
thanks

dougal doesnt have joint problems just as a preventive measure as i work in baording kennels and we get many dogs in that has joint sticks each day.
Dick Strawbridge's moustache
We use Cortaflex for our two greys. They don't have joint problems at the moment so this is purely a pre-emptive measure. I personally would give joint sticks and anything like that a wide berth.
SANDY A
We also use glucosamine and green lipped mussel
as our dog has had cruciate op's on both knee's resulting
in arthritas,also works out cheaper than the sticks in the
long run wink.gif

Sandy and Troy xx
ollie and charlie and russ
we gave them to our 10 year old retrievors who are both getting a bit stiff - didnt seem to make any difference.

Lin x
Sandy&Spirit
I would strongly suggest Green Lipped Mussel, sandy is running around like a puppy again after less than a week. Although it smells sooooo bad....
ollie and charlie and russ
QUOTE(Sandy&Spirit @ 21st Aug 2008, 11:07 pm) *

I would strongly suggest Green Lipped Mussel, sandy is running around like a puppy again after less than a week. Although it smells sooooo bad....

where can u buy it from?
Lin x
Jayne-Ty
QUOTE(ollie and charlie and russ @ 22nd Aug 2008, 7:53 am) *

where can u buy it from?
Lin x

I'd like to know that too please smile.gif

Can green lipped mussel be used with glucosamine supplements?

My staffy had cruciate ligament surgery on April 1st. After a huge course of antibiotics to treat an infection and a course of anti inflamitries last week for a slipping knee he's still only on 2 five minute walks a day ohmy.gif (he is getting better... slowly) Could green lipped mussel help him? He has glucosamine supplement everyday but could he have both?

After nearly 5 months I'm open to try anything that helps his recovery smile.gif

Jayne.
nickijm
Ben was on green lipped mussell, glucosamine and cod liver oil for his athritis. He took them all at the same time and he did really well on them smile.gif It was only in the last six months of his life (he was 15) that we had to give him rimadyl

I got it from the health food shop smile.gif
Sandy&Spirit
Royal Canin Green Lipped Mussel

Those are the ones that Sandy is on at the moment, no idea why they took the picture off. Hes on 3 a day so im looking at 25 for a months supply which isnt too bad.

Green Lipped Mussel again

They also stock these which has Glucosamine in it. But cant say anything about this brand as ive never used it
SANDY A
QUOTE(Jayne-Ty @ 22nd Aug 2008, 10:43 am) *

I'd like to know that too please smile.gif

Can green lipped mussel be used with glucosamine supplements?

My staffy had cruciate ligament surgery on April 1st. After a huge course of antibiotics to treat an infection and a course of anti inflamitries last week for a slipping knee he's still only on 2 five minute walks a day ohmy.gif (he is getting better... slowly) Could green lipped mussel help him? He has glucosamine supplement everyday but could he have both?

After nearly 5 months I'm open to try anything that helps his recovery smile.gif

Jayne.

Hi,

I use Glucosamine with the green lipped mussle and we get it from Holland and Barrett wink.gif
I get the high strength mussle 500mg which i think works well.
Ive also heard that Devil's claw is another good one for joints but
have not tried this one yet smile.gif

Sandy and Troy xx
Jayne-Ty
QUOTE(SANDY A @ 23rd Aug 2008, 11:35 pm) *

Hi,

I use Glucosamine with the green lipped mussle and we get it from Holland and Barrett wink.gif
I get the high strength mussle 500mg which i think works well.
Ive also heard that Devil's claw is another good one for joints but
have not tried this one yet smile.gif

Sandy and Troy xx

Thanks for that smile.gif I just opened a new thread about because I couldn't find this thread, you must of posted just before me smile.gif I'll give holland and barrett a visit.

smile.gif
barkin mad
We give charlie the joint sticks. He really likes them as a treat (but an expensive one - 3.69 for a week's supply err.gif ). He too has had cruciate surgery and suffers with arthritis and used to be really stiff so that he could not jump up on the sofa or the bed.

Now he has a mix of the joint sticks and a bioflow magnetic collar - the stiffness is still there but he is happily jumping on the sofa and the bed again and insists on a decent daily run so the comination of these have helped him. It was trial and error to find out what helped - 3 months of glucosamine made no difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.