Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fleas
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
lizzieh
Has anyone got trouble with fleas on their dogs ? Sandy has been Frontlined but is scratching like mad and today I saw one of the little devils on her. The vet advises putting a flea collar on her, spraying everywhere and repeating the Frontline in one month instead of two. I have also combed her very well with a flea comb but they evaded the teeth! I don't think I will have her in my bed (she comes in in the morning for a cuddle) unil she stops scratching. My son came over Sunday and said he had been bitten by a flea and I told him don't be daft! So I will have to eat my words.
sars x
The fleas do not live on the dog/cat - they live in the carpet/furnishings - lay their eggs there - and hop on the host (dog/cat) for their feed err.gif

You need to blitz your house with a quality household flea spray - that kills not only the fleas, but the eggs too. Have a look on www.petmeds.com.. or similar flowers.gif (cheaper than buying from the Vet.. but works, unlike types bought in supermarkets/petshops)..
Take the animals affected outside, get a bowl of water, some white kitchen roll, and a 'nit comb'.. (if you have some teatree oil, pop a couple of drops intothe bowl of water)..
Brush through, rinsing the comb in the water every few strokes, and wipe dry with the paper once any fleas/dirt submurged into the water with the paper. The fleas taken from the comb will not be able to leap back onto the dog/you if dunked into the water wink.gif

Feed every animal in the house some garlic every day - it is a natural repellent to fleas. Either fresh garlic crushed into food - or a garlic tablet... 1/2 a tablet depending on size of dog smile.gif

If you have been using Frontline for a couple of years - it might be worth changing to a different type of spot on - such as Advantage.. just incase a change might help?
maltese dog
We were using frontline every month and i found we had fleas. We changed to advocate brought from discountvetsupplies and now feed springers garlic (from groomers) in food everyday.
agilitylace
so glad to see this thread i have been waging war on fleas this month and mine are frontlined without fail every month ! but lately lots of scratching going on and a suspicious looking bite on my leg yikes.gif

Thanks for the advice smile.gif

am off to get spray, advantage, and garlic!!!
the girls mum
from what age is it ok to give dogs garlic?? or does it not matter? I would like to start adding this to both of my dogs diets if it helps repell the blighters, not that we have a flea problem .. but you never know err.gif
Spinbo
Advice I had from the council "flea man" was to vacuum thoroughly especially along room edges, bottoms of curtains, all soft furnishings. If you use bags in your cleaner spray the bag when you throw it out and spray or wash out the part of your cleaner that holds the bag. He said the vacuum cleaner is "your friend and the flea's enemy."

I had him round when we moved house and the place was infested with fleas. At that time it was free to have the house deflead you probably have to pay now but it might be worth investigating if you can't get rid of them yourself.

PS I've fed garlic to my dogs since they were pups but not every day - 2/3 times a week. Maybe not as often if your dog is very young or very small.
lizzieh
Thanks for all the tips, I would never have thought of garlic but I guess if it works with humans it should also work with dogs and repelling fleas. I have heard about a tablet which guards against both fleas and worms, so might talk to the vet about that instead of using Frontline.
Scally Waggler
This year has been bad for fleas in our house! We have lots of animals and live in a rural areas so though we keep ontop of treatment we get fleas every summer.

I get bitten badly, had 10 bites this year in a week ohmy.gif . I think allowing the dogs on our bed in the mornings doesn't help, but I keep doing it! rolleyes.gif We got the pest control guy to do a thorough job in July as we found even the stuff you buy from the vets isn't effective with a bad problem. You can only use the proper chemical warfare if you are registered and Ive found its the only thing that works.

Having said that my OH has just found a bite behind his knee mad.gif He thiks its from the stables rather than the house but flippin eck!!! mad.gif
Lucyandmeg
Stronghold is probably the best flea killer preparation on the market at the moment but is prescription only. Make sure you spray the whole house with a good insecticidal killer like acclaim or rip which is only available from vets and vet pharmacies. ANything from pet shops doesn't work as well.
collies r best
You can put a flea collar in your hoover bag or the bit that holds the dust in bagless hoovers that way if you hoover any fleas up the collar will finish them off. If you flea bath a dog [vetzyme flea and tick shampoo is good] when you wet the dog only wet the neck/throat /head/ears area first and apply the shampoo leaving it on then continue to wet and shampoo the rest of your dog. The reason for this is that fleas are well known for running up to the head/ears area when the coat is getting soaked and this way they have to go through the 'barrier' of shampoo first.
Dalsmum
I also used flea shampoo to wash the dogs bedding and towels.
maltese dog
QUOTE(Lucyandmeg @ 21st Aug 2008, 9:24 am) *

Stronghold is probably the best flea killer preparation on the market at the moment but is prescription only. Make sure you spray the whole house with a good insecticidal killer like acclaim or rip which is only available from vets and vet pharmacies. ANything from pet shops doesn't work as well.

if you go to http://www.discountvetsupplies.co.uk/Admin...CFQ9oQgodhziEjQ you dont need a presciption not sure y, but it does take 10 days to get to you but iv never had a prob and its all good stuff except frontline.
Greyeyes

I used flea foggers last year when the cats came home with an excessive number of little visitors and shared them generously sad.gif Worked excellently, and I haven't had to do anything beyond the usual Frontlining and hoovering since then.
Dalsmum
QUOTE(maltese dog @ 21st Aug 2008, 1:52 pm) *

if you go to http://www.discountvetsupplies.co.uk/Admin...CFQ9oQgodhziEjQ you dont need a presciption not sure y, but it does take 10 days to get to you but iv never had a prob and its all good stuff except frontline.

I think you will find it comes from America, where a prescription is not needed

Q 18: Where are these products coming from. Is it legal for me to buy these products?

A: To keep costs as low as possible, products are shipped from various places throughout the world. All products are dispensed from properly licensed facilities in accordance with the laws of the country from which they are shipped. Buying online from overseas is a common and generally accepted way of saving a lot of money and in most cases, there are no legal issues or additional taxes to pay, but it is your responsibility to ensure you comply with laws in your country and pay any local taxes or import duties that may be imposed.

Claire and Boosh
I used Billy No Mates herbal remedy/tincture from CSJ. Its much kinder to the skin and more natural.
I have just started using it, it was recommended by my mother who says that her dogs have had no fleas or ticks since she started using it.

Billy No Mates
Dalsmum
I used that this year but my dogs still got ticks, so back to frontline.
kc972

Anyone tried or heard of Neem Oil? Seems to say works for fleas etc

We are off to Wales tomorrow on holiday and I've ordered this as part of the medicine chest.

My boy brought home some ticks from The Lakes earlier this year and I'm hoping this will help-assuming it arrives in the post tomorrow morning!

https://neemgenie.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2...roduct_Code=PG1
lisatren
QUOTE(Lucyandmeg @ 21st Aug 2008, 9:24 am) *

Actually Stronghold is available online without prescription or you can buy over the counter at the vets.
Lisa
Beaky
I have just found a flea on Sasha yikes.gif She was only done a few weeks ago unsure.gif I know it's a very bad year for them, but in all the nearly 5 years I have NEVER found a flea on her. Just the one, no poo, so hopefully that's it. She has now been deflead again, as has Jess (Jess had none on her) and I'm waiting for Jack to come in so he can have the same treatment.

All the communal bedding is in the washing machine and I'm about to hoover the carpets and sofas very thourally.

ohno.gif

I use Advantage on all mine after changing a year or so ago as Jack reacts very badly to frontline.
Lucyandmeg
Actually Stronghold is available online without prescription or you can buy over the counter at the vets.

The online sites that don't reqiure a prescription are overseas sites, so yes you can get it without a prescription but its obviosuly pom for a reason so i don't agree with it. Its not over the counter at the vets as you have to have seen the vets before as it is strictly speaking a POM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.