Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hands Free Jogging/walking Lead - Which Is Best For Large Dog?
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Chery
We are going to the lake district in the near future and as our two would definitely chase sheep we want to keep them on lead but would prefer to be 'hands free' and have them tied to our waist. I've seen a few but i was wondering which one people could recommend as being the sturdiest. Also, Dawson my GSD is 42kg and most say up to 40kg. Could you recommend any?

Thanks

Chery
Pam13
I have one of the Halit double ended leads and it can happily take the weight of our two big lad weighing in at around 48/50kg!

Two settings so if you have a larger waist like mine it still fits and then the other end gives a slightly slimmer loop which I am ever striving to fit! Without much sucess I hasten to add! sad.gif
magic
These are very good, I use them on my hounds smile.gif

Canine Spirit Bungee Lead

c.j
Ohhh, i'm glad someone has asked this question. smile.gif

I have started running with my boy and was looking for something like this as the Cani X gear is so expensive rolleyes.gif
SarahL
QUOTE(c.j @ 20th Aug 2008, 1:59 pm) *

Ohhh, i'm glad someone has asked this question. smile.gif

I have started running with my boy and was looking for something like this as the Cani X gear is so expensive rolleyes.gif

What size is your dog? Mine wont wear his X-back harness so it can be passed on...
Akitas
I get my cani-cross gear from Germany as it's about half the price and really strong.

I'm going out there in October so if there's several people interested I'm happy to shop for others as well.

I pay about (depending on the exchange rate) 30 for a belt (no leg loops), 8 for a matching lead. I then use a length of shock cord (double or quadruple thickness for my GSD) which is pretty cheap and can be adapted to the size of the dog.
skippys_mummy
I want to start jogging with my staffie xena as i want to lose some weight , would one of these lead be good
Akitas
I would recommend them as it allows you to run/walk evenly without the wonkiness from your dog pulling .... the pulling also helps build up the dog's back muscles. Running in harness has much improved my GSD's back end (old injury from years ago) and he no longer spends as much time or money in the chiropractor!

If anyone is interested (bearing in mind delivery date in mid-Oct) then please PM me and I'll send you colour options etc.
adamandbecks
I've never heard of these before, do you think they would work well with bikes? I have trained my 2 to run at the side of me but would prefer to have them on a lead when out near roads ect. (Molly the pug gets her own basket on the front of my partners bike!)
Chris.B
Sorry to hijack the post a bit but it got me thinking about whether there was a bungee attachment that you could fit on a flexi-lead to stop your arms getting pulled out of their sockets. The other week we did so much walking with my OTT collie that I nearly got a pulled shoulder muscle. err.gif I protected her with a padded harness but I wasn't so lucky. lol.gif

Found a product called jerk-ease in America but nothing here. Anybody know if they are sold in this country ?
mary e
i have a walking belt and two ladder leads for my two Malamutes and I can walk them both at once http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?_Cu...ackpacksandbags

MarjaM
I bought a belt like that yesterday from Lidl ( I live in Southeast London), for about 9.99 if anyone's interested.
Not sure about the max weight of dog to use it with, but the actual belt is stretchy, and then the lead that attaches to your dog has a bungee bit in it, so also gives. And it comes with a couple of pouches. We have a medium sized dog and the gear seems quite chunky on her. You can also unclip the lead and use it as a normal lead, as there's a loop for your hand on it as well.
So far, it's good when cycling, because I now have both hands free for the brakes. And I might take my dog to the market, and I'll have both hands free for the fruit and veg.
Not sure if all Lidls sell the same stuff, I went to the one in Charlton, SE London.
c.j
QUOTE(SarahL @ 20th Aug 2008, 2:26 pm) *

What size is your dog? Mine wont wear his X-back harness so it can be passed on...

He is a medium sized GSD - would defianately be interested if by chance yours is the right size smile.gif
SarahL
QUOTE(c.j @ 21st Aug 2008, 10:53 am) *

He is a medium sized GSD - would defianately be interested if by chance yours is the right size smile.gif

Chances are its too small - my dog is a fox terrier cross, so rather smaller. I think the harness is a small medium type size. If you measure him from shoulder to tail and PM me the measurement I'll let you know if i think it will fit. I'll be away for a week so dont expect a quick answer :-)

if not, I'll post it on swap shop
Chery
Thanks to everyone who answered. It is great to have so many knowledgeable people offering advice. I've decided to go for the Canine Spirit Bungee Lead as we will only be walking and i think the other ones were more for jogging and if i jogged with Dawson i would need medical help within 100 yards lol.gif

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.