Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Say Hello To...
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
rosiemongrel
... BARNEY! wub.gif aka Mr Barnes (on account of his great dignity and composure in all situations lol.gif )

After posting many times on here, asking for advice on how to introduce, integrate and live with 2 dogs, rather than just 1, OH and I have gone ahead and taken the plunge. We saw Barney on here 2 weeks ago (Homes Needed South), and thought 'that's the one'. I have been looking for another dog for 2 years, and considered many possibles, even went to the DT recently, but when I saw Barney, I knew he was the one Iwanted. I just didn't know whether Rosie would like him too (she's a bit choosey with her canine friends huh.gif). So off we went to Somerset to meet him, and we both instantly fell for him. His lovely foster parents gave us a whole afternoon to get to know him, taking the dogs out for a long (muddy!) walk, before allowing us to take him home.

Since he's got here, he's done a lot of this

and this

He arrived with a hilarious top knot, which I thought made him look less intelligent and dignified than he obviously is.

So he had a haircut and now looks like this
Much more elegant, don't you think?

"Yes, I've pinched your shoe and carried it to my bed as looted treasure. What are you going to do about it?"

He is excellent with livestock, just ignores the cows completely.

Rosie and he have much in common. They both like to chase ducks
(that's Rosie)
(that's Barney)

They both love water, but Barney is much more daring than dear ol' scaredy cat Rose.
rosiemongrel
And more...

They both love to run through fields at harvest time:
(Rosie)
(Barney's turn)

They love to travel in the car:

And they are both partial to the delights of a chew:

In just under a week, Rosie has decided that she would like to have a live-in boyfriend after all! wub.gif She follows him around, trying to get him to play with her. (She has not played with another dog for YEARS! So this is Big Stuff!) She has even taken to sleeping near him, rather than near us. I really thought it would take much longer for them to develop a bond, but viola! We all LOVE him. Thank you ESSW for letting us have him.
Nene
They look very happy together, and he looks like he's having a whale of a time!

Congratulations!
cloverleaf61
wub.gif He is beautiful, as is Rosie, they make a gorgeous couple wub.gif
Isnt it great to dogs playing together smile.gif And what fantastic places they get to run/swim in. Very lucky doglets wub.gif
tazlin
wub.gif What a lovely couple smile.gif

glad you found this lovely addition and it all worked out so nicely.
Owlish
What have you done to that dog? He looks farrrrrrrr too relaxed to have only been there a week ohmy.gif lol.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

(And his topknot was a bit hysterical amusing - but he's clearly a very dignified chap wub.gif )

And how lovely is Rosie? ooo.gif Is she a flatcoat?
romi
goD he looks bored unsure.gif

NOT
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
wub.gif wub.gif
rosiemongrel
QUOTE(Owlish @ 18th Aug 2008, 11:03 pm) *

And how lovely is Rosie? ooo.gif Is she a flatcoat?

I think she's possibly a flatcoat or setter cross, or a collie spaniel cross (she's very spaniel-y when out and about, and not very retriever-y). But tbh, I have no clue. But she is a bit of a looker, isn't she! wub.gif

I thought I'd post about Barney & Rosie to encourage other owners whose dogs don't necessarily think the sun shines out of every other dog's bottom... There may well be a perfect mate for your grumpy pooch out there too!

And it's true what they say: two really IS twice the fun!!!
flyball
Hes a lovely dog, congratulations on adopting him. They make a lovely couple!
sonnyjim
They look a perfect match - having so much fun wub.gif
bessie's family
they are both lovely wub.gif
woodysmum
Thanks for sharing. They look so good together, I speshally like the one where she's on her pouff(sp) ( i always said puffy when i was young) and is looking down on her beau wub.gif

rosiemongrel
QUOTE(woodysmum @ 18th Aug 2008, 11:45 pm) *

Thanks for sharing. They look so good together, I speshally like the one where she's on her pouff(sp) ( i always said puffy when i was young) and is looking down on her beau wub.gif

He does have his own bed, in case you think we treat him mean, we don't! He has tried the pouff (sp?) too, but he fell off lol.gif
debbs7m
Bless him wub.gif he looks very well settled! Congratulations smile.gif
amber
They're both lovely wub.gif Loving their walks and chews, nice pics. Don't know how you cope with that cream carpet though ohmy.gif .
shortl
They look so lovely wub.gif What a character he is!! wub.gif wub.gif
Princess C
Mr Barnes is gorgeous ooo.gif You may want to strip his topknot rather than cut it when it comes back, otherwise he'll have enough to make several spare wigs for Bruce Forsyth! ohmy.gif lol.gif

Well done Rosie for realising live-in companions make life more fun angel.gif hug.gif
Lottesmummy
What a lovely couple. Congratulations!
Kelmisty
OMG hes beautiful! Lucky boy!
dogmad
Congratulations, welcome to the world of Springer Spaniels. They are such fun lol.gif
nikkiwoo
QUOTE(dogmad @ 19th Aug 2008, 8:30 am) *

Congratulations, welcome to the world of Springer Spaniels. They are such fun lol.gif

I think 'mental' is the word you were really looking for lol.gif

Rosie looks very happy with her new man smile.gif can't say I blame her, he is rather wub.gif wub.gif

It's great when grumpy madams find themselves a playmate isn't it?
Gnasher
He is lovely wub.gif looks very settled in already wub.gif
Boysie
Gorgeous wub.gif
And I love the way he's colour co-ordinated with his bed, which is also lovely (where did you get that from please?)
madaboutmillie
QUOTE(rosiemongrel @ 18th Aug 2008, 11:27 pm) *

I think she's possibly a flatcoat or setter cross, or a collie spaniel cross (she's very spaniel-y when out and about, and not very retriever-y). But tbh, I have no clue. But she is a bit of a looker, isn't she! wub.gif

I thought I'd post about Barney & Rosie to encourage other owners whose dogs don't necessarily think the sun shines out of every other dog's bottom... There may well be a perfect mate for your grumpy pooch out there too!

And it's true what they say: two really IS twice the fun!!!

QUOTE(nikkiwoo @ 19th Aug 2008, 8:36 am) *

I think 'mental' is the word you were really looking for lol.gif

Rosie looks very happy with her new man smile.gif can't say I blame her, he is rather wub.gif wub.gif

It's great when grumpy madams find themselves a playmate isn't it?

There is hope for my grumpy madam then!

She is improving by leaps and bounds just lately though and I would just love to add another dog to the family!!

Mr Barnes and Miss Rosie are just wub.gif

Philip Turner
Congrats on the new addition to the family.

He is just a bit luverly wub.gif

Phil
Bunter1
I am so very, very pleased that Rosie and Barney get on so well smile.gif . They look great together and are clearly happy. I love it when things work out smile.gif .
dbpayne
aaah am so pleased!!!! we loved barney and came very close to snafflign him away ourselves! congratulations on a smashing dog wub.gif smile.gif
Bevd
Congratulations grin.gif Those two look like they've been together for years wub.gif
rosiemongrel
QUOTE(Boysie @ 19th Aug 2008, 9:53 am) *

Gorgeous wub.gif
And I love the way he's colour co-ordinated with his bed, which is also lovely (where did you get that from please?)

His bed is from TK Maxx. I like the look of it too. But I am not sure I'd recommend it, as after 1 wash of the middle piece, the stuffing's all bunched up and has lost its shape completely (and yes, I did follow the instructions!). mad.gif I am going to have to put blankets or foam or something in the middle so that he doesn't end up lying on the floor itself.
rosiemongrel
QUOTE(Princess C @ 19th Aug 2008, 8:01 am) *

Mr Barnes is gorgeous ooo.gif You may want to strip his topknot rather than cut it when it comes back, otherwise he'll have enough to make several spare wigs for Bruce Forsyth! ohmy.gif lol.gif

Yes, his hair do was a crime committed by local groomer, where I will NOT be taking him back! Will try to get the hang of it myself. wink.gif
rosiemongrel
QUOTE(amber @ 18th Aug 2008, 11:53 pm) *

They're both lovely wub.gif Loving their walks and chews, nice pics. Don't know how you cope with that cream carpet though ohmy.gif .

I hate that carpet. mad.gif It was here when we moved in. It is impossible to keep clean. I hoover every day, and it still looks rubbish 90% of the time. Hopefully, when the money fairy comes to visit, we'll be able to get some nice wooden flooring installed instead. tongue.gif
DooBlog
Well done for finding Rosie the perfect partner, they make a lovely couple. wub.gif
spanielgodmother
They are both lovely and look so happy! wub.gif smile.gif
sprolliehouse
yippee.gif yay.gif Happy happy puplets!!!

Congratulations!
ajs
Lovely pics - lucky dogs!

Congratulations on your handsome new addition and thanks for sharing the wonderful piccies angel.gif
starry spaniel
What a lovely lovely boy he is!!! Absolutely scrummy. I'm sooooooooooo jealous envy.gif

I'll admit I'm totally biased - Springers are just fantastic dogs - yes, I know the other makes are too, but as I said I'm biased smile.gif We're currently down to one Springer and the house just isn't the same. We lost our 'Star' in May to kidney disease and looking at the pics of Barney was like seeing her again in all her glory. She used to lie like that on her back - we called it her "Bernard Matthews Chicken pose"!

He'll be an absolute joy and there's nothing quite like the smell of a wet ESS. Enjoy him and well done to you and your OH
Jx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.