Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smelly Spaniel ! Help
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
agilitylace
As some of you know i was given Rogue a couple of months ago to rehome as he was biting the family - rehome lol.gif he is now a resident pack member with his place on the bed bagged wub.gif

however boy oh boy does he SMELL yikes.gif

a really doggy sweaty smell even after a bath!! its not his ears they are the only bit of him that smells normal ! AND everywhere he sleeps smells which means my bed !!! ohmy.gif

he has been neutered, he doesnt drag his ears in his dinner ( i pin them up) he doesnt roll in things, he is fed CSJ (previously burns and arden grange and still smelt then)

Honestly he STINKS !!!

am begining to think this maybe why he was rehomed ! as he has never ever looked to bite or even growl and they did have a very nice clean tidy house . . . . . err.gif

Can anyone help ideas for shampoo - air freshener - gas masks anything he is stinking the whole place out !!!
bouncey
It must be a spaniel thing because my mums cocker stinks and i mean she STINKS!!!!!!!
love2run
Check his lip folds..they often give off a smell that is like anal glands.
Katrina Parkes
Could you ask your vet, see if they have any ideas? I'm sure there must be an answer or a reason for it, so try not to worry too much. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it.

Does he drag his bum around? Just wondering if it could be anal glands

I'm sure it won't be this and the smell would be a rotten smell if it was but just so I cover everything I can think of........
Does he have a small wound any where? (I know you would know but just give him a check all over, between toes etc just incase,sometimes a stuck grass seed is easy to miss) Something like a stuck grass seed could be buried under the skin,infected and so giving off an awful smell.
sarah2482
Rex sometimes smells, and I generally find that he's been sweating in two main places;

1. inside his ears - think where his temples are, and go back an inch
2. Under his chin, on either side, where you would think a cat's glands are.

Alternatively as the others have said, could be anal glands (parents dog has this, smells fishy and horrible) or his lips - lets face it big splodgy spaniel lips could be hiding anything lol.gif rolleyes.gif

alternatively, could you have him cut at the groomers, maybe there's something matted into his fur that a bath won't rid him of?
Boysie
QUOTE(love2run @ 15th Aug 2008, 12:23 am) *

Check his lip folds..they often give off a smell that is like anal glands.

Yes it could be lip folds,the smell is evil if they are infected - check his mouth out for an abcess as well.
jennybloggs
My poodle is the smelliest dog I know.. she is bathed regularly (about every three weeks) her ears are clean, her teeth have just been descaled but she just smells like.... FERRET!!!

edited to say.. sorry that wasnt very helpful was it? lol
collies r best
Do you use spot on flea treatments?If so that could be it! My spaniel Hector stank and it was a smell that lingered through the house it really was awful. I realised it got worse when i reapplied flea treatment [at the recommended times so it wasn't an overdose of the stuff!] Once i stopped using it the smell went leaving normal doggy smells rolleyes.gif I always used a flea collar after that and had no more problems smile.gif
jules41
could need his anal glands emptying?
cindere528
I've had spaniels for donkeys years and the only time any of mine have smelled has been when they've had ear problems.

I would suggest you have a look at his lip folds, it's quite common for them to get infected in some spaniels.

And how about a piccy of the lovely lad smile.gif
gem05708
My girl has quite smelly feet. nowhere else just her feet. ( My aunts wee Llasa is the same), Maybe with being a spaniel and having hairy feet it is more obvious. Just a thought.
Vera
You might also want to look into food allergies and hormonal issues... both can cause body odour.

Vera smile.gif
agilitylace
Thanks guys - its def not his anal glands its a completely diffeerent smell more sweaty sweat smell??

he def does not have anyhting matted or any wounds or grass seeds have been checking him regulary and he is squeeky clean!!

his ears were checked by th vet about 2 months ago and given the all clear the vet had no idea why he smells as unless you live with him you dont get the full smell of it !!!

i have had spaniels my whole life and also have another cocker now who smells like roses in comparison to Rogue!!

So the mystery continues . . . i do however use spot on flea treatments so may investigate a different type for him? my next idea is to clip him in a full clip and see if that helps with the sweaty smell?

have also checked his lip folds and again nothing but pink shiny gums and lips and the smell doesnt come from one place its strange just a general all over smell - another trip to the vets i guess!!

here is the smelly angel . . . .

and yes my bed smells too yikes.gif
K18sst
Check his feet - my Bullmastiff has a really sweaty, biscuity smell and it took ages to discover it was coming from his feet. Had him checked for yeast infection etc and there was nothing. I did notice one day what was causing the smell! When he cocks his leg he pees on his front paws, then he 'cleans' the back ones by dragging them through the area he just pee'd on. rolleyes.gif

I need a packet of wet wipes a week for his slebbers and another packet for his paws lol.gif
GSDSian
We sometimes get dogs in with hairy bums that get a really stinky sweaty smell. Keeping the hair round the bum thinned and cleaned seems to help but not always.
Poppys chum
We are currently going through this with our rehomed girl Tubby Tara!

Interestingly our last Lab (Winnie) went through a similar patch of smelliness during her lifetime. On both occasions the conventional vets were at a loss and could not offer a cure. We went the homeopic route then and have just returned with Tara. So we are back to basics, fresh chicken, rice and vegetable diet only. Fed out of glazed china bowls, not stainless steal, bedding washed with non bio etc etc.

Winnies problem was eventualy resolved with Sulphur, this was after trying other things. Tara has been put on Calc Fl 30 and Graphites 30. She is definately smelling better, but she hasnt got to the Coco chanel stage yet lol.gif and we have a way to go, mind you it is only day 7.

Re: the smell in the house, homeopathic vet said to bin all the air fresheners (he had nasty tales to tell about these) and use 1/2 an onion instead ohmy.gif but it works. Mind you your house does look a little funny with onions all over the place lol.gif

By the way Tara smells like feet or cheesy, not a nice smell at all.
Kay&Stone
I know it's probably not funny but I am crying with laughter - everything that has been said reminds me of my sister's cocker - he smells sooooo bad I can't have him near me - makes me feel sick!
He ended up having to have an operation on his chops as he was getting infections with lots of gubbins getting stuck in there.
But he still stinks anyway lol.gif
agilitylace
QUOTE(Kay&Stone @ 15th Aug 2008, 9:05 pm) *

I know it's probably not funny but I am crying with laughter - everything that has been said reminds me of my sister's cocker - he smells sooooo bad I can't have him near me - makes me feel sick!
He ended up having to have an operation on his chops as he was getting infections with lots of gubbins getting stuck in there.
But he still stinks anyway lol.gif

OI !!! its not funny mad.gif am gonna bottle the smell and post it to ya now!

lol.gif well maybe just a bit !! the little stinker is soundo on the sofa - he is now used to me sniffing him all over like a sniffer dog !! thats the wierd thing up close he doesnt smell? its just a smell that follows him about !

oh well he is 100% worth it - will be looking into the homeopathy option though sounds interesting thanks loads everyone

watch out on the news for a village at the end of cornwall all taking to wearing gas masks . . . . you'll know why!!!
Kay&Stone
[quote name='agilitylace' date='15th Aug 2008, 9:34 pm' post='2570425']
thats the wierd thing up close he doesnt smell? its just a smell that follows him about !

Seriously now....is it you then? grin.gif
DooBlog
Boo sometimes gets a bit smelly, when she's out walking she hasn't got time to wee and starts to run again before she's finished, hence her skirt (it's what i call the long hair on her back legs) gets a bit smelly. sad.gif
So maybe it's as someone else suggested and he's piddling on his feet!
Good job we loves them so much. wub.gif
agilitylace
Nope not his feet (and he has no fluffy underskirt etc have clipped it all off as first idea!!! tongue.gif)

plus he still wee's like a girl so it misses his feet completely have been watching intently ! sniffing his feet and they smell normal - as i said its more of a general smell there is no part of him that smells up close its just a smell . . . . . .very hard to describe smile.gif

maybe it is me ???? hmmmm off to shower ninja.gif
starry spaniel
Oh bless him, he's gorgeous smile.gif

Our springer is lovely when first bathed - think tea-tree, but very quickly returns to an all-over pong! We keep her fairly well clipped - no feathering and i've noticed that as her fur grows on the backs of her hind legs, she sometimes has wee'd on it! Then walked through it - lovely smile.gif It's definately NOT her anal glands

Also, if she comes up for a cuddle and hits you with her face you end up smelling of a horrid stale water-type smell. As if that's not enough, she's got a host of allergies which could also be contributing to the pong. As well as her staphyloccocal (sp?) recurring skin infections (in-bred I think) she always smells worse when she gets hot and before a flare up. Still, she's lovely (except at 5:30 am when she's getting me up coz she needs a wee!!).

Not sure if any of this will help, but you never know.
Jx
the girls mum
he is gorgeous and laying on your bed just like my cocker does on mine, I find myself curling myself round her to sleep sometimes, I wake up with a crook in my neck just because I dont want to disturb her. lol.gif

bless his stinky little heart, I love spaniels wub.gif
sarah2482
QUOTE(agilitylace @ 15th Aug 2008, 9:34 pm) *

thats the wierd thing up close he doesnt smell? its just a smell that follows him about !

Snigger... are you sure he's not just farting constantly?! lol.gif tongue.gif
Nina K

Reading this with interest because it sounds so similar to my Coco dog (AKA Pongo). rolleyes.gif

When she's been lying down, she stinks when she "unfurls", even shortly after having had a bath.

Love her to bits but she's heavy on the shampoo! tongue.gif lol.gif
AnnW
QUOTE(collies r best @ 15th Aug 2008, 10:29 am) *

Do you use spot on flea treatments?If so that could be it! My spaniel Hector stank and it was a smell that lingered through the house it really was awful.

ohmy.gif
I'm so glad somebody else has said that! We can smell our lurchery-collie boy a mile off for days afte he's had a spot-on (especially Advantage, which produces a stink beyond belief), and yet we can use the exact same stuff on our springer with no smell at all. It must be the way some dogs metabolise it. I don't like using spot-ons anyway and avoid them if at all possible, but the smell is the last straw!
cindere528
QUOTE(agilitylace @ 15th Aug 2008, 5:03 pm) *

here is the smelly angel . . . .

OMG *thud* wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif He is G O R G E O U S
annie b
He may have a yeast infection somewhere under that fur. Now that creates a smell like ripe cheese/dead mouse.

my little girl smelt very mousy when she came to us and the vet discoved a yeast infection which we could barely see. Also she does tend to have a BO smell which goes with bathing. lol.gif I would never deem to let her know I think she Stinks rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.