Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honey
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
Pages: 1, 2, 3
cody
Well Jo will tell you all about it, the meet went well & Honey was a star smile.gif

Richard spent sometime with us & put her through the mill He ran with her, rolled her, & generally played with her, she enjoyed herself.

Here are just a few photo's of this lovely girl

running with Richard smile.gif

Meeting Mummy rolleyes.gif

Sue (dog walker, Richard & Jo (mummy)

Honey & my handbag lol.gif lol.gif

& Honey looking gorgeous wub.gif

Its been a difficult road for this girl err.gif & I am praying that things will work out for her.

Jo we need updates smile.gif I am still worrying rolleyes.gif

Over to Jo tongue.gif
Sarnia
What a beautiful girl! Sending positive thoughts and hope Honey settles well.

Best wishes to all

Anne
janeddie
One absolutely stunning girl wub.gif Hope she settles well and learns to love and trust again smile.gif
jennybloggs
She really is a gorgeous looking girl! hope it all works out
kats n greys
Hoping that Honey issues will be easy ones.

wub.gif She's a beautiful looking girl
cloverleaf61
wub.gif Beautiful girl, All fingers and paws crossed that everything works out well for her hug.gif
Kelmisty
Beautiful girlie! tongue.gif tongue.gif
Invicta
She looks so relaxed, especially in the pic with the dog walker.

Hope it goes well with you all.

Carol xx
romi
Honey Jo and family

all the best ok.gif
scoobie7
Hi cody just looked at the photos of honey they are really clear. I can't believe how good she was today she was everything i thought she would be and so much more. I would of loved to have brought her here with my lot. But i know jo will do an excellent job with her and she will sort her out. I still can't get the hang of these e-mails. Speak to you soon. sue
Jo@thewilderness
1st update

NO WEE YET sad.gif

I feel a chart coming on ninja.gif

Honey is a confused little girl and will soon learn about the world according to a Holly dog. And will Holly ever teach her. Give me a Honey over a blue merle collie x spaniel or something any day.

We are all off to bed soon but Honey will be in her crate, ain't having an exceptionally smelly dog in our bedroom.

I'll post more (over the weeks, months, days) as I learn more about her. Obviously has some triggers but we'll learn and I'm sure Honey will too. smile.gif

ETA - thanks Chris for finding the most "looking fat and 40" photos you could find!
cody
smile.gif I need a brandy unsure.gif
Trailhoundann
All the best with Honey, Jo - she is a lovely looking dog and it will be wonderful if you can do something with her and I feel sure you will give it your best shot. By the way, you say something about your pics looking "fat and forty" - I had just looked at them and thought she is a lot younger than I expected - I thought you looked about 25.

Hope you all have a peaceful night.

Ann smile.gif
Jo@thewilderness
doG. Wish I was 25 lol.gif

1st night - had a bit of a moan, a bit of a grumble, a bit of a I feel stressed moment or two. But settled well eventually and has eaten her breakfast this morning no problem. I've had to tell stinky dog she isn't allowed on the sofa yet, not until after that bath yikes.gif

And we've had a wee of noah flood like proportions lol.gif

We are all having a quiet day at home today. No fuss, no hassle just nice quiet settle in time.
cloverleaf61
smile.gif Sounds good! Im sure she will soon settle, Good luck with the bath rolleyes.gif
LizP
I've been reading about Honey over the last couple of weeks. All I can say is how amazing I think you are, Jo. It's a brave and wonderful thing you're doing for Honey. Huge good luck wishes from all here.
jimmywoodbine
Well Done. Good Luck Honey and Jo and well done Chris. The pictures look brilliant.
Helen1
Be good Honey and well done Jo. When she's naughty feel free to rant on here, we've all been there and you're amongst friends x
riotous_uk
QUOTE(Jo@thewilderness @ 14th Aug 2008, 7:13 am) *

doG. Wish I was 25 lol.gif

1st night - had a bit of a moan, a bit of a grumble, a bit of a I feel stressed moment or two. But settled well eventually and has eaten her breakfast this morning no problem. I've had to tell stinky dog she isn't allowed on the sofa yet, not until after that bath yikes.gif

And we've had a wee of noah flood like proportions lol.gif

We are all having a quiet day at home today. No fuss, no hassle just nice quiet settle in time.

yay.gif she's finally had a wee

Glad last night was ok and this morning's brekkie had no issues. Should eb fun giving her a bath and then getting her dry lol.gif

I'm going to ask a really silly question now, but in all the photos I've seen of her, she seems ot ahve really short legs...does she? or is it just an optical illusion?

Kay&Stone
Good luck with Honey - she is wub.gif
cammyboo
Good luck with everything, Honey looks so adorable and I'm sure she will give amazing cuddles once she has settled properly, oooo, nuzzling into that hair, mmmmmmmm wub.gif
Jo@thewilderness
QUOTE(riotous_uk @ 14th Aug 2008, 8:42 am) *

I'm going to ask a really silly question now, but in all the photos I've seen of her, she seems ot ahve really short legs...does she? or is it just an optical illusion?

Her legs are rather short sad.gif

Maybe they will grow with a bit of exercise lol.gif She has a lack of muscle so seems to stand a bit hunched legged which makes it look worse. I know none of that really makes sense but I know what I mean unsure.gif
c.j
Heartwarming update smile.gif - i have been following Honeys story and am so glad that she is being given the chance of a home - i hope that she settles in well wub.gif
sweetie
best of luck with honey Jo smile.gif

she's a beautiful dog wub.gif
Jo@thewilderness
Little update on the lovely Honey.

Still stressed but settling OK. Very responsive doggie girl who just wants to please.

I've sussed out her food issues. Some numpty has done the lets take the food away from the puppy. She is fine if you are sensible. She needs reassuring that she is allowed to eat - sure sign. Started taking treats from me though - real breakthrough. Currently playing with a fish for dogs and investigating it wub.gif

She is completely cat and small feathered and furry friendly - had a quick sniff at the hens and wandered off. And jsut done a real sniff of one of the trick cats and then backed off at first sign of a cat face looking at her smile.gif

She is learning too - put her back behind the dog gate this morning (OK, may have had to do it 11 times!) and she stayed there. Bloomin' little tinker was on the non dog sofa when we got back tho lol.gif And then on her walk she was larning so fast. I wish my other lot were so attentive to me and listened so well lol.gif And I am so relieved, completely clean in the house. Talk about an iron bladder.

This is a doggie who will make a loyal and fantastic dog to someone who is going to work on her and respect her space. She has problems, she is scared of the world and it will be a long haul to understand that people can be kind, a raised hand doesn't mean anything other than a ball is being chucked, a man doesn't mean a beating, a closed door doesn't mean you'll be shut in there for days... sad.gif

She really needs a home or foster where she has more 1 on 1 or doggies who aren't going to be as feisty as her. But, she is being lovely with me and OH. I;ve currently got a stinky dog on my feet, a greyhound pushing me off the sofa and a collie sitting on my chest. OH is upstairs... rolleyes.gif

But I've chickened out of the bath thing ninja.gif Tomorrow is another day.Still very stinky and so is my sofa!
shortl
Well done you, sounds like she's coming far already.
I don't reckon she'll need your help for much longer the way her clever brain is working, and the guidance and care you guys are showing her flowers.gif
Gnasher
Really pleased things are going well smile.gif she sounds like she has the potential to be the dog in a million for the right owner wub.gif
Carm
QUOTE(Jo@thewilderness @ 14th Aug 2008, 8:09 pm) *

Little update on the lovely Honey.

Still stressed but settling OK. Very responsive doggie girl who just wants to please.

I've sussed out her food issues. Some numpty has done the lets take the food away from the puppy. She is fine if you are sensible. She needs reassuring that she is allowed to eat - sure sign. Started taking treats from me though - real breakthrough. Currently playing with a fish for dogs and investigating it

She is completely cat and small feathered and furry friendly - had a quick sniff at the hens and wandered off. And jsut done a real sniff of one of the trick cats and then backed off at first sign of a cat face looking at her

She is learning too - put her back behind the dog gate this morning (OK, may have had to do it 11 times!) and she stayed there. Bloomin' little tinker was on the non dog sofa when we got back tho lol.gif And then on her walk she was larning so fast. I wish my other lot were so attentive to me and listened so well lol.gif And I am so relieved, completely clean in the house. Talk about an iron bladder.

This is a doggie who will make a loyal and fantastic dog to someone who is going to work on her and respect her space. She has problems, she is scared of the world and it will be a long haul to understand that people can be kind, a raised hand doesn't mean anything other than a ball is being chucked, a man doesn't mean a beating, a closed door doesn't mean you'll be shut in there for days...

She really needs a home or foster where she has more 1 on 1 or doggies who aren't going to be as feisty as her. But, she is being lovely with me and OH. I;ve currently got a stinky dog on my feet, a greyhound pushing me off the sofa and a collie sitting on my chest. OH is upstairs...

But I've chickened out of the bath thing ninja.gif Tomorrow is another day.Still very stinky and so is my sofa!
#

This is really good news, it will take time, you know what you're doing and I'm so happy that you're going to help Honey smile.gif

Re bath...I wouldn't bother until she's been with you for a couple of weeks at least. I reckon considering the kind of life she's have she's never seen a bath in her life, perhaps try a bucket or warm water and a soapy sponge to start with but outside.

I think she'll react if you bath her because she's so unsettled and doesn't trust you yet err.gif

With some of the dogs in our care, to save any altercations with baths I use a dry shampoo on the dogs, works wonders! ok.gif You can buy aerosols or normal sprays from most pet shops, they really do work well, some need to be used with brushes etc but again to avoid triggering a reaction... some you can just spray right into the fur and you can leave it on, she'll smell gorgeous! wub.gif

Jo@thewilderness
QUOTE(Gnasher @ 14th Aug 2008, 8:15 pm) *

Really pleased things are going well smile.gif she sounds like she has the potential to be the dog in a million for the right owner wub.gif

Does she ever - OH squared up to her tonight and she has forgiven him instantly.

This girl is learning fast and with us being yes that is fine, no that isn't acceptable, she is doing OK.

She is scared but we ain't - so we are finding out way together. Showing her that doing things not quite right is fine - I've never got it right first time around lol.gif

Still bloomin' stinks tho yikes.gif
Gnasher
Have you got anywhere local with a pool or something with clean(ish) water where she might go for a swim to have a bit of a clean up without the trauma of a bath unsure.gif
Greyeyes
QUOTE(Jo@thewilderness @ 14th Aug 2008, 8:53 pm) *

Still bloomin' stinks tho yikes.gif

Daughter is now threatening to re-write the Smelly Cat song from Friends, in Honey's honour smile.gif

(seriously, sounds like it's all going good, well done you and OH smile.gif
Jo@thewilderness
We've just ahd a little tuggy play and I didn't get chomped - so all doing well.

She is settling well but is very nervous - needs someone who will understand that.

Smelly cat song - trust me - she really needs it. Off to Styal in the morning to try to get her swim in some cleaner water. Otherwise, muzzle on, paddling pool out, dog tethered front and rear and no talking - away we go with the bath! lol.gif
romi
I am so pleased to read this, may be the only non-gsd person here but I still wub.gif her. She deserves you Jo. smile.gif

How predictable re the 'take the food.....' sad.gif

I am a bit slow on this, will you tell us what OH did and how she reacted exactly? err.gif
kestla
Sounds like she is just a missunderstood little girl who has had a not so nice life.

Keep going Jo angel.gif your doing fine, me thinks she will be a treasure.
cody
I am so releived to read this err.gif I keep ringing Jo for updates, she must be sick of me already(she has to ring me back as my phone is still off err.gif rolleyes.gif

Jo is doing fantastic with Honey & i cannot thank her enough, there have been a few moments i think unsure.gif but she is sticking with her smile.gif She needs time & space to settle, which is not always easy when you have other dogs to consider, so Jo is now a juggler unsure.gif

Plan A B C have already been used so I am busy thinking about plan D lol.gif lol.gif

That brandy tasted good, now for the wine lol.gif
Sullysmum
Is Honey definately only going to be fostered,any chance of jo being her forever home?
jules41
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO pleased to hear all is going well so far. I don't know you, jo-but i think you're an angel.gif
dogmadmum
QUOTE(jules41 @ 15th Aug 2008, 10:51 am) *

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO pleased to hear all is going well so far. I don't know you, jo-but i think you're an angel.gif

metoo.gif and good luck to you honey wub.gif
nikirushka
Fantastic, go Honey!

And I am NOT impressed - you've reminded me that I need to bath my lot. mad.gif

lol.gif

I'm sure life will only get better for this lovely girl now, she's in the best place wub.gif
Magpie_heart
Best of luck Honey wub.gif
Sweep2
I dont know you - but have been following this poor doogy. Be prepared for some bad days / backward steps but my very best wishes ---- Really hope all goes well.
Jo@thewilderness
I've been asked to post this by Cody (and the kennels) as Cody has no internet tonight.

I made the decision at lunchtime today to return Honey as I was very concerned about a number of behaviours she was displaying.

There have been a number of things worrying me that I haven't posted about but that other forum members have been aware of. Almost from the second I brought her into the home environment, but certainly over the last 48 hours as Honey has grown in confidence, it has become obvious that there were behaviours that could potentially be dangerous. This covered a range of responses, and both of us handling her. But today I experienced full on aggression, no triggers that I could spot, no warnings and potentially disasterous results in the wrong hands. I also felt that there was no bite aversion too.

Having discussed it with all concerned, we agreed it would be best if I returned her to kennels. I did so at 1.30 today. The manager took the decision that it would be best to release her from whatever hell she has suffered at the hands of humans, and she went to the Bridge shortly afterwards. They felt that there wasn't an environment that would be right for a dog with this kind of behaviour.

I am confident that Honey was properly assessed, well handled, that she had every chance, that she had a good time with us (she loved being outside) that there are just some things that happen to dogs that are so terrible that we can't fix them. And we can't sit the dog down and ask what is wrong... We know that Honey suffered abuse, most likely beatings, and had been terribly neglected.

I know that everyone who has been involved will use it as a positive learning experience and has learnt just why a foster is so important with certain dogs. She didn't display this level of agressive behaviour in kennels but the staff were very concerned about her. Cody and other volunteers are going to continue to drive forward the fostering programme and I have made a committment to help.

I'd really like to say thank you to Cody, Riotous_uk, Kestla and my PA Pippa for their support and reassurance and to Chris at Warrington RSPCA for giving this girl so many chances.

Me, I'm off to give my lot a cuddle, clean out my wounds and get drunk.

Jo
Jazzlet
sad.gif Jo thank you for giving Honey a chance hug.gif

You are kind, loving and brave to have tried, that you didn't succeed is down to the barst&rds that did the damage hug.gif
Magpie_heart
Thank you for helping her, she had a good time with you. RIP Honey.
sars x
Jo - hug.gif
Been where you are last year with a foster dog... broke my heart and I haven't been able to foster a dog since. Although you know there really is no other option, you feel absolutely horrible - and you have every sympathy from me hug.gif
I would read/hear 'every dog gives a warning '.. 'every dog has a trigger'.. Our lad just launched across the room at my daughter - no reason - and believe me, if I could have made one, I would have... I had made excuses for him many times.
I've followed this from the beginning, and Bless everyone that tried their hardest for Honey. Sometimes, the damge runs too deep, and it really is kinder to say 'enough'.
hug.gif
ebonynight
Bless you and everyone who tried to help Honey ,may she rest in peace
shortl
sad.gif That poor girl
And poor you hug.gif You gave her the chance and each and everyone of you involved did all you could to help her, just a shame she was beyond help sad.gif

Rest easy and Free Honey, no more hell wub.gif angel.gif
cloverleaf61
I am so sorry, you have tried so hard to give Honey a chance of a 'proper' life, my heart is breaking for you,and everyone else who tried so hard for her hug.gif I had a similiar situation myself a few years ago, and know hard terribly hard it is sad.gif
angel.gif Honey, run free and happy at the bridge, your demons laid forever, you can play with all our angels angel.gif
aileen ainsworth
hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

You were frightened, but you wanted to love.
You distrusted, but there were moments when - almost - you would rest your head.
You were always on guard, but you dreamed of learning to play.
You knew no one would protect you, but there were thoughts, or memories, of having a friend.
And we wanted to rescue you, to let you know you were safe.
If we had stroked your lovely coat just one more time.....
If we had run with you just a little faster, or more often, in the grass..... Then maybe you would have been able to believe.

, or if life had failed you too harshly before we met.
We will not know if you heard us and couldn't answer, or if you had lost the power to hear before we spoke.
We cannot know if you will forgive and wait for us at the Bridge, But we know that we will look for you.
You, also, are one of ours -- and we loved you as best we could.

by Elizabeth Sommers

----Aileen
riotous_uk
Jo you did your best, I'm glad I was able to provide support and a hand to hold. This was not the end that we all wanted for Honey, but she unfortunately was not safe to be around and I fully support the decision Jo took to return her and the decision of the kennels to allow Honey to go to The Bridge.

Jo you are a star, you offered a foster home when I couldn't , not many folks would offer to have a bitey dog in their house hug.gif Chris, you tried your best for this girlie hug.gif

Run free Honey. Safe now at The Bridge when you found this world such a worrying place. Forgive us all, but you are safe now from whatever demons were haunting you. wub.gif

Huge thanks to the RSPCA for allowing us to give this girl a chance, I hope it doesn't put you off trying a foster home for a dog in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.