Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking Of Cruelty
Dogpages forums > General forums > The Chatter Room...
roxysmum
Reading the other thread about the increase in reports of animal cruelty, makes me wonder just how many cases go unreported. We regularly get strays in that are in awful condition, I can't say I have ever thought about reporting these cases to the RSPCA, there seems little point if no-one knows who the owners are.
Meet Sampson
Sampson stumbled onto a remote farm a little over a week ago. Wafer thin, his eyes so ulcerated, weeping heavily and so full of matter they were literally stuck closed. His ears were bright red infected and irritated.
He was picked up by the Dog Warden and immediately taken to the vet - they cleaned him up as best they could, gave a course of antibiotics and ointment to ease the irritation. Photos of when he came in would be too horrific to show.
This dog has the most wonderful temperament, although he must have been in agony he has allowed us to bathe his eyes and apply the cream every day without a single murmur of complaint. I expect this is the first time he has ever known gentleness and love, he gives it back a thousandfold. He loves to go for a walk, he is good with other dogs, and as for mealtimes!!!!!!!!!. Pop a treat in his mouth, he puts his head back, closes his eyes and savours every morsel - its great someone who likes my cooking smile.gif
He will lose at least one eye, hopefully the other can be saved. Whatever happens he is safe with us now and will never be hurt again.
This week alone (its only Wednesday) we have had 3 westie types dumped in a skip, covered in mange and again needing months of veterinary treatment, a collie who has suffered a stroke or some kind of head trauma - his head is held on the side and he is very wobbly on his legs.
Should we be reporting these cases?
hayleyk
Oh Sampson you are just beautiful wub.gif You poor, poor boy sad.gif

I am wondering if two male, neutered American Bulldogs, would get on... ninja.gif
sars x
Yes, I think these cases should be reported to the RSPCA.. I know no action can be taken, but even if it is just logged as reported cruelty cases and registered. This just goes to show the National recorded cruelty cases disclosed by the RSPCA only touch the surface err.gif

I think the general public are still very much 'in the dark' as to just how much work the 'small' Rescues do- that the recovery of these animals is funded through volunteers and the time, love and effort of unpaid, over stretched kind people.
If every single case was reported and properly logged by the RSPCA, then not only would the figures be realistic, perhaps the work done by such Rescues begin to be properly acknowledged..

His poor eyes sad.gif
Nene
Sampson you're so lovely. Look at that schnozz!

As for reporting these cases to the RSPCA, like you say, whats the point if the "owners" aren't known? Just uses more of everyone's resources doesn't it?

scampersmum
sad.gif poor wee soul - brilliant that he has found you and will be safe for now.

Problem I suppose is who you report things to cos there isnt really anywhere that collates figures on a national basis. The RSPCA must only see a small proportion of cases and probably wouldnt have the resources to investigate all the cases that they werent involved in. The only figures seem to be from council services and large organisations like the dogs trust and rspca. There must be a lot of geographical variation in areas where larger organisations dont have so much of a presence. Do small rescues supply figures to anyone else?
cloverleaf61
crying.gif Poor poor Sampson sad.gif I really hope he does manage to keep at least one eye err.gif
This country is getting worse by the day, I have always refused point blank to visit any country that has a bad reputation towards how they treat animals. I just wouldnt spend any money there.
But, we are just as bad, how can people see this sort of thing go on and ignore it? The cruel bas***ds that inflict such pain and misery on animals are horrific and should all be shot, but others,who see it happen,know about it and do nothing are just as bad. Someone must know Sampson,and the westies!!!
What sort of people stand back and know its happening and do nothing to help? mad.gif
Thank god he is now safe, the way you describe him enjoying a treat made me cry. You have amazing strength to be able to cope with all this heartbreak hug.gif
I think you should be reporting these cases, there just might be someone who recognises these dogs and does the decent thing (like go and kill the person responsible)
Sorry for the long rant sad.gif
roxysmum
We have never been asked to supply figures to anyone sad.gif

Just to say again, whatever happens Samson is safe for the rest of his life. We have someone who is possibly interested in giving him a home once all his veterinarty treatment has been sorted out smile.gif

judebristol
I just cant beleive the creulty I have seen since I have started to help with HWAR. I would like the same to happen to the people that commit these horrendous crimes on these poor animals.

I am very lucky as I will be able to see Sampson on Saturday as I am going up to the rescue , and I have already got him a few little treats.

Get well soon Sampson, and your lucky to be with Carol and her crew.
sprolliehouse
Sending eye-saving thoughts and lots of love to Samson wub.gif . I am sure Samson would drown you in flowers.gif for the love you have shown him..........if he only knew where the florist was. Hopefully soon he will only remember the good times.
Monty Montezuma
Poor chap, Sampson sad.gif Receiving love at last smile.gif

I think this is a difficult issue but I would have to say I would report. Although, I am not aware of anybody who collates such figures nationally, afterall 'they're only animals' mad.gif , nobody ever will if such cases aren't routinely presented.

Yes, it does stretch the RSPCA & other similar organisations further, but to not report hides the true extent of the suffering caused by poor ownership, etc.

OK, off the soap box & perhaps I should now go create a national database. Mmm....

Good luck to Sampson wub.gif
hdavies
sad.gif THE thing that really worries me about all this is that there must be a lot of undiagnosed mentally ill people there as a normal persons concscience wouldnt allow them to do this to animals.They are not only a danger to animmals but perhaps to other groups in society which is why i think cruelty to animals should be taken more seriously by those in charge of law making. very sad sad.gif
aileen ainsworth
This dog reminds me of a dog that was lost sometime back on one of the lost sites
---Aileen
alysons00
Poor Sampson sad.gif sad.gif

I cant understand how anyone can treat any animal in such a bad way.

All the AM Bulldogs I have met have been so nice natured, there just big babies wub.gif

Can I also just add I know how much eye operations and follow ups can cost on big dogs, and its allot of money folks.
I'm sure HWAR would be greatful for any donations towards Sampsons eyes flowers.gif

Do you have a paypal address Carol?
sweetie

Poor samson wub.gif

Don't know if there would be much point reporting cruelty if no one knew who the previous owners were.

But if it goes to national statistics it would be a good idea, someone must know who owned that dog.

Name and shame springs to mind.. unsure.gif
tigerseye
Bless you Samson, make a good recovery wub.gif

I wish him and all the others who have come in this week speedy recoveries - could the collie have had a bad vestibular attack maybe? Skip was the same when he came in, he is much better now.

Sadly animal cruelty doesn't surprise me, I just think we've been kidding ourselves about our status as animal lovers. sad.gif

It also makes me angry when people who don't know any better talk about 'large breeds' and 'bullbreeds' being dangerous when poor Samson, with all the suffering he has been through, responds with love and gentleness. They should come and walk a day in the shoes of a rescuer, and see the truth.

Personally, I would report it. Small seedlings grow into large trees, the police's domestic violence policy grew from a small number of female police officers gathering local information in the back room, for example - wouldn't it be great if nationally we could log and monitor animal cruelty and eventually do something about it.
roxysmum
I tried hard to get some photos today of Sam enjoying himself - look what happened Image
One day he wont hurt anynmore, the sun will always shine on him and he will be truly happy/
Sooner rather than later boy wub.gif wub.gif
Pinx
QUOTE(aileen ainsworth @ 30th Jul 2008, 3:40 pm) *

This dog reminds me of a dog that was lost sometime back on one of the lost sites
---Aileen

How far back are you thinking? Samson isn't much more than a pup.

Samson is fast becoming a favourite with everyone here (shhh, don't tell the others ninja.gif ) He loves to have his chops rubbed and has never once complained when we put meds in his eye. The first few days he was here he broke all our hearts as he would sit in his bed & moan with the pain, if anyone has ever heard a dog moan they'll know what I'm talking about, it's the most heart-wrenching pitiful sound ever. Now his meds have kicked in he's much happier. He's such a good boy, never pulls on the lead & always greets everyone with a waggy tail & a huge great webbed paw through the kennel door lol.gif wub.gif

Hopefully we'll be able to get his eye sorted ASAP, and as he's still young he should adapt quickly to having only one eye & bounce back.
aileen ainsworth
It was quiet awhile ago at least a year but he is a loverly boy
---Aileen
dogmaniac
samson's beautiful wub.gif

i was talking to my oh today after seeing the rspca report on tv..that it would almost be double of wot they think if they were to add on the cruelty cases that rescue places on the forums takes on...its just no end is it mad.gif

there isnt a tough enough punishment for evil b****rds who put these poor animals through soo much pain something has to be done

give them punishment not fines mad.gif
dorothy
Carol were the Westie types all dumped together? are they puppies?
judebristol
QUOTE(alysons00 @ 30th Jul 2008, 3:49 pm) *

Can I also just add I know how much eye operations and follow ups can cost on big dogs, and its allot of money folks.
I'm sure HWAR would be greatful for any donations towards Sampsons eyes flowers.gif
Do you have a paypal address Carol?

Yes we do have a Paypal address, it is:

hwanimalrescue@aol.com

Any donations will be gratefully received for Sampsons eyes problems.
gothbob84
Judging buy the volume of cases there seem to be of abandoned neglegted animals maybe it would be an idea to have a section with photos of the animal and details for when and where it was found?

I know i know most of the people in our area with dogs. Hopefully that way the breeder or someone would recoginse the owner and someone possible could get a slapped wrist for animal cruelty? As i have always thought that those who mistreat animals will go on to do worse to childeren and other people where violence is not permitted.
roxysmum
The westies were dumped together, they are adult dogs sad.gif
judebristol
How is Sampson now Carol ?
Carm
QUOTE(gothbob84 @ 31st Jul 2008, 12:17 am) *

Judging buy the volume of cases there seem to be of abandoned neglegted animals maybe it would be an idea to have a section with photos of the animal and details for when and where it was found?

I know i know most of the people in our area with dogs. Hopefully that way the breeder or someone would recoginse the owner and someone possible could get a slapped wrist for animal cruelty? As i have always thought that those who mistreat animals will go on to do worse to childeren and other people where violence is not permitted.

There are a couple of organisations and websites dedicated to lost and missing dogs nationally, but not sure if rescues that take in strays use it, I suppose it would take time to use it.
Barb
QUOTE(Carm @ 31st Jul 2008, 10:09 am) *

There are a couple of organisations and websites dedicated to lost and missing dogs nationally, but not sure if rescues that take in strays use it, I suppose it would take time to use it.

Hereford is become quite nororious for irrisponsible breeding of American Bulldogs. err.gif Seems to be the 'new staffie' sad.gif If we (HWAR) feel that any dog is possibly missing, believed stolen, we always check with many organisations, regardless of whether they are microchipped or not. The problem with AB's, and tracing their history, is the sort of people that dump/breed would deny any knowledge anyway. err.gif
roxysmum
QUOTE(judebristol @ 31st Jul 2008, 9:10 am) *

How is Sampson now Carol ?

He is doing OK Jude, off to the vets tomorrow, you may not get to meet him after all though, he has been offered a foster place subject to him getting on with the resident dog
lisa@mayhew
QUOTE(roxysmum @ 30th Jul 2008, 10:25 am) *

ohmy.gif Oh My!!! wub.gif wub.gif

Good luck you gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous boy wub.gif

judebristol
QUOTE(roxysmum @ 31st Jul 2008, 6:47 pm) *

He is doing OK Jude, off to the vets tomorrow, you may not get to meet him after all though, he has been offered a foster place subject to him getting on with the resident dog

Oh Carol that is fantastic news biggrin.gif, I am so pleased for Sampson , he needs the stability of a foster home. He just so deserves another chance.
dawnmb
wub.gif Sampson

I know we have dogs come in via vets and dog wardens that have had horrible things done to them and were then dumped-We get a call, and we get them the treatment, or simply feed up the emaciated ones-but since noone knows who did it-noone gets prosecuted. It is damn frustrating-

Well done to Carol and the rest of the gang at HWAR for doing what they do (and they do it SO well! angel.gif )
ajs
oh my wub.gif Sampson wub.gif what a handsome boy he is.

Poor lad to have suffered such torture and what a relief he made it into rescue care. Well done Carol for helping this lovely boy. angel.gif
roxysmum
Sam has just been to the vets, the eyeball has basically totally disintegrated and is causing him a great deal of pain so he is booked in to have the operation to remove it on Monday. Again he was uncomplaining and wagged his tail happily wub.gif
judebristol
QUOTE(roxysmum @ 1st Aug 2008, 10:30 am) *

Sam has just been to the vets, the eyeball has basically totally disintegrated and is causing him a great deal of pain so he is booked in to have the operation to remove it on Monday. Again he was uncomplaining and wagged his tail happily wub.gif

It makes me so angry to think how a person could have left Sampson like this. To think they probably had him as a little puppy, full of fun , and then throw him out when he gets bigger. I know we are in a recession but there are ways and means of sorting out problems. If people cant afford veterinary treatment and are on benefits they can at least go to the PDSA, where they will receive free treatment, and equally if they can afford it then they should go to a vet or get pet insurance so none of this would happen. Sorry on my soap box over this, it has made me very angry that poor Sampson might have to lose his eye over this neglect.
sweetie
QUOTE(roxysmum @ 1st Aug 2008, 10:30 am) *

what a good boy he is wub.gif
roxysmum
Sampson has had a wonderful day today, picked up from the vets by foster dad Steve he has had the time of his life with Red the staffie, they have played and played and played (photos tomorrow). Poor Steve I imagine is a frazzled heap by now. Onwards and upwards for our brave Sampson now wub.gif
scampersmum
amazing that after all he has been through and whilst he is also in pain he is as happy and loving with people and happy to play with his new pal. Hopefully he will feel better once the eye is removed. Good luck for Monday little one wub.gif
jaynedogs
WTG Sampson wub.gif wub.gif
theriddells
hi was wondering how sampson is getting on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.