Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upset :(
Dogpages forums > General forums > Training and behaviour...
Kelmisty
As you all know my Dads dog is here.....for another 1.5 weeks........

He has been a star for the last week after his initial settling in period...... routine as normal......but I came home today to find he has has a stratch and bite at the door into the living room......Im sooo dissapointed and dont understand why hes done it. After all the last week hes been great........

He knew he had done wrong as soon as I came back......but I just dont know what to do...I wasnt sure if I should tell him off or hug him..... I just feel sooo let down and like Im doing something to upset him - feel like crying sad.gif
henrywestie
be grateful its only a bite and a scratch! smile.gif

Jo. Smith
QUOTE(Kelmisty @ 14th Apr 2008, 4:08 pm) *

As you all know my Dads dog is here.....for another 1.5 weeks........

He has been a star for the last week after his initial settling in period...... routine as normal......but I came home today to find he has has a stratch and bite at the door into the living room......Im sooo dissapointed and dont understand why hes done it. After all the last week hes been great........

He knew he had done wrong as soon as I came back......but I just dont know what to do...I wasnt sure if I should tell him off or hug him..... I just feel sooo let down and like Im doing something to upset him - feel like crying sad.gif

I hope you're enjoying the company wub.gif . I guess the little fella is a little confused as to whats going on. I wouldn't tell him off unless you catch him doing it
scampersmum
You probably havent done anything wrong at all. Dogs are a bit like kids, they tend to be on their best behaviour in a strange environment for a while and then they start pushing the boundaries. How long was he on his own for and was he shut in a confined space. It might have been boredom or stress if left for long period. Maybe just wanted to see what was on the other side. I always prefer a dog gate rather than a solid door, cos they can see and dont feel so closed in. Honey can open just about every door so only solution to restrict her access to the rest of the house. Theres no point in getting angry however you are feeling. The dog wont have done it for badness or spite and he wouldnt be able to connect the telling off with what he had done.
CAFFERYSMUM
or he might be bored left on his own in a strange house? get some kongs or treat balls and hide them round where he is so he can have a bit of fun... he was probably biting and scratching at the door to get out to you and saying oi where are you going...
Kelmisty
I might try borrowing a baby gate from my friend if shes not using it.....

Tomorrow my brother has said he will come in for an hour while Im out....... I wonder if its because hes not used to having a normal sized kitchen compared to my Dads huge kitchen......
amber
QUOTE(Kelmisty @ 14th Apr 2008, 4:21 pm) *

I might try borrowing a baby gate from my friend if shes not using it.....

Tomorrow my brother has said he will come in for an hour while Im out....... I wonder if its because hes not used to having a normal sized kitchen compared to my Dads huge kitchen......

Isn't he the greyhound? He probably wanted to go and have a kip on the couch!
Kelmisty
Yes he is....a greyhound who doesnt like the sofa!!!
poverton
Sorry to hear about your door, but I'm sure he just did it because he's in a new place etc. I'm sure you havn't done anything wrong.

Don't tell him off, as he won't know what your'e telling him off for now, but give him a big hug and tell him it's just a door......and you take credit cards. smile.gif

He's probably a bit stressed at the new environment, missing his dad etc. When I was a child we used to go abroad every year for our summer holiday, and our Goldie would go into kennels. By the time we got back, he had chewed all his hair off one of his legs at the front - it was just a release for him. This is probably something similar.

Give him lots of treats and a hug from me.

Penny
x
Kelmisty
Im a bit happier now, just felt a little like Id done something wrong.....even though its his normal routine, just different place
suzeanna
I came home today and found my pup had chewed up the mail....my fault for not shutting the door to the hall. Pity there was a cheque in it... lol.gif I don't imagine you've done anything wrong, he was probably just bored and fancied another room to look at, and there is no point at all in telling a dog off after the event..they DON'T know they've done something wrong, whatever you might hear to the contrary...the guilty worried look is a reaction to your cross/horrified/upset voice, not what they did maybe an hour or more ago.
Lucy8
Daft thought, but yesterday was Monday, so did you spend the weekend at home with him and then went out again to work on Monday? If so he might have just been upset that you had gone while you stayed the two days before?
While my husband worked away (in Poland) a few years ago, Lucy used to always chew things on the first day after he had gone back there. It was her "I don't like it" statement?
Sorry - I know it doesn't help, but it might be an explanation?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.