Reply to this topicStart new topic
> List Of Rescues With Oldies Assisted Adoption, inviting suggestions
doggyvonne
post 7th Nov 2017, 3:25 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 16608

We are a retired couple in East Devon - our little dog passed away last month and we registered with Cinnamon Trust and fully vetted volunteers but so far no suitable dog has happened along. I am sure something could come up eventually but we also want to look at oldies in rescues in our area where the vets fees are paid . Can you tell me if there are any which would happily use local vets as we dont want to travel far out of Sidmouth.
Our ideal dog would be small to small medium with smooth, short or poodly coat -must be ok with kids as my son will visit with a new baby in new year. Nice natured dog who is tactile and not nervous of other dogs. Is there a list of rescues in my area of East Devon/Dorset which offer financially assisted adoptions?
We can gladly pay for food and give lots of love and walks but find insurances and vets bills difficult on a pension. Bungalow home with garden- seldom go anywhere but the beach and the fantastic Byes dog walk. I have looked online by googling but it throws up only one or two hits of the same rescues all the time and i think there must be a lot more and i could be missing out. Any suggestions or advice?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 7th Nov 2017, 3:37 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 10023

Would you consider fostering at all? Oldies Club are desperate for foster homes all over the country.There aren't many rescues in your area as I'm sure you have found out.By fostering all the vet fees would be paid for you,you would only need to provide food.The downside of course is the dog/s move on to permanent homes after their stay with you - but there are just so many in need you wouldn't be without a dog for long.
There is also a fab Devon rep for Border Terrier Welfare,they do get dogs in occasionally that they will support financially - old dogs usually.

Here is the link to Oldies Club - who would set up an account at your vet - http://www.oldies.org.uk/get/fostering-dogs

And the contact details for Border Terrier Welfare - Sally would be your point of contact
http://www.borderterrierwelfare.co.uk/area-representatives/

The sticking point I can see would the fact you will have a visiting baby soon - would this be a one-off visit or frequent - but this could be discussed in full.Good luck,I do hope you find a new companion

Just remembered there is another organisation worth contacting - I haven't had any dealings with them personally but they exist to help older people offer a home to a dog.Have a look at their site - they rehome all over UK I gather
http://www.giveadogabone.net/
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 7th Nov 2017, 3:43 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Thank you to Zico's mum for that information. I will give it all some thought. My husband finds changes of routine wearing these days so a forever oldie might be best . We dont get many visitors but it's our first grandchild and the baby may visit a few times a year. I will look at 'Gve a dog a Bone' too. I am surprised at the lack of rescues in Devon if tha tis really the case and not just poor advertising - never seen so many dogs as i have seen since we moved here and its perfect for walks. (o:

This post has been edited by doggyvonne: 7th Nov 2017, 3:43 pm
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 8th Nov 2017, 10:02 pm
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 55685

To be able to give a dog a forever home - and to want the rescue to pay the vets bills, is not something I've heard of rescues charities agreeing to
EXCEPT
in some cases where a dog has an already existing medical problem which will need long term treatment. In those cases some rescues will advertise for a "permanent foster home" where you do get to look after the dog forever but the rescue agrees to pay the vets bills. The dogs are generally older or with a limited life-span.

I know Oldies Club does do this.

Forever Hounds Trust do this (they are a national organization rehoming all over the country) http://foreverhoundstrust.org/ but they rehome greyhounds and lurchers so probably too big for you.

Your local rescues may do this if they have such a dog - but you would need to keep an eye on their websites.
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 9th Nov 2017, 6:25 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Thank you Craters. I was aware of the special situation from reading about one local rescue but wasnt aware that there were so few large rescues in my area operating the scheme. I wrote in to find out which others could offer similar -(even those a bit further away). It may be that 'Cinnamon Trust' is my best option but it could be a long wait. I was not prepared for the increasing feeling of despair and pointlessness i feel since losing my tetchy little terrier who loved me me and regarded most others as bogey men! (o: I was very restricted and contained by him for some years because of this...Stockholm syndrome??? I dont know but once or twice I even felt like ending it all which is not like me at all but that's how pointless and insubstantial life feels now. I didnt even feel this way when my sons left home (I had 3 dogs at that time and was too busy to feel an empty nest thing). In retirement our income is very very reduced and it's a matter of deciding that a dog is our main priority -it is to me but my husband does have some expensive hobbies which he wont sacrifice and i am concerned in case we take on too much. At present a replacement dog feels essential for my sanity and maybe even our marriage but we need to be able to fund it all adequately. It is really cruel as we had dogs for over 25 years and when my husband worked the cost was rarely an issue . It's the vets bill and insurance -it's all so expensive. We downsized to this lovely place 3 years ago to retire but with the dog gone I feel the bottom dropped out of it. One thing which happened was i suddenly started feeling aches and pains i never knew i had. When you have a responsibility like a pet it can take the focus off yourself and you try harder. As i was unable to work much i was with my pet 24 hours a day and he felt part of me. I hope when the right offer comes up it is a more friendly dog as my son is about to have his first baby - I seem to have been cursed (and blessed) both at the same time by devoted but cantankerous terriers. As in divorce or human bereavement maybe i should not do anything too impulsively for a while..I know i am depressed.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 10th Nov 2017, 3:08 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

Please give fostering for the Oldies Club some serious consideration - you genuinely sound like your home and family would be absolutely perfect for fostering, and of course as a temporary guardian the only expense you would have to cover yourself would be the food (unless you chose to replace collars, leads, etc).

I've fostered myself for the Oldies Club and it was genuinely one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. You take in a dog that is normally quite confused and worried, then watch it blossom in your care for a few months before you wave it happily on to its new forever home (happy for the dog, I've always shed a few selfish tears for me) and wait excitedly for the arrival of the next one. The dogs normally stay with their fosterers for at least three or four months before they are adopted (sometimes much longer) so you wouldn't be changing dogs every couple of weeks. The Oldies Club also arrange transport runs all over the country for foster dogs, so you wouldn't have to drive a long way to collect a new foster dog at all if you didn't want to and they will open an account at a veterinary surgery local to you, so you don't need to worry about taking the dog too far to see the vet either.

For the dogs, you are offering something wonderful - the chance of a new life during old age. If people like you and I didn't take them into our homes and offer them a safe haven to stay whilst they wait for their forever home, there would be nowhere for them to go but kennels or the final trip to the vets.

But for you, fostering could give you something new to focus on and to get out of bed in the morning for. It isn't always the easiest thing to do, nobody is going to tell you that it is easy to say goodbye when they trot off to their new forever home, but you'd also be building up a whole network of new friends and an extended doggy family that hopefully you'll receive updates on when they move to their new home. Most fosters you speak to can show you a library of photos of the dogs they've helped and tell you everything about them, even years later. The pride and sense of purpose you get from helping dogs that wouldn't have had a chance without you is almost overwhelming when they move on to their new home.

I'm sure somebody from the Oldies Club fostering team would be happy to have a chat with you about fostering if you think it might be something you would be good at and enjoy. They'd be able to give you advice about if it really would be right for you and how it all works, if you dropped them an email or phoned. Personally, although it was hard letting go, I have never regretted fostering for one minute and would still be doing it right now if I were in a position to.

Honestly, my heart is breaking for you - I know that in your position the future would seem bleak without a dog or dogs in it for me. Fostering for the Oldies Club could fill that void for you aswell as helping older dogs that don't have anywhere else to go in their transition to a new life.

+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 10th Nov 2017, 9:05 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Mokee thank you for a sensitive reply -you spent a lot of time writing that. some things have ensued and we have reviewed the situation a bit. We did some sums and worked out we can afford to adopt if we can get a dog without preexisting conditions and get it insured for life. We were duped into an inadequate insurance before and yet were paying a fortune for it. We have a clearer idea of what we are looking for now. Ideally a chihouha cross with smooth or short hair or Dachsund friendly girl or boy of any age -could be an active healthy oldie or a younger dog. Willing to travel a bit to meet up but West Country would be best. If i was younger and stronger i would consider a larger dog especially one which like to go in the sea, but I find the handling difficult with arthritis in my hands and it is so much easier to be able to pluck a little one out of danger. I also have asthma. Having shorter haired or smooth dogs is best for me. I will keep looking for now.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 11th Nov 2017, 8:34 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

That's really wonderful news, I'm so happy for you smile.gif

There's a gorgeous Chihuahua x JRT at Mutts with Friends in Bristol called Buzz:

http://www.muttswithfriends.org/

https://muttswithfriends.dunked.com/buzz

And another one at Dorset Animal Welfare Group, four years old called Buddy:

http://sithean.com/dawgdogs/buddy-8/

Haven't seen any Sausage Dogs in rescues in the West Country so far, but I've only had a quick look. Best of luck with your search, hope you come back to update us when you find your new family member.

+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 11th Nov 2017, 9:02 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

thank you Mokee I had scoured all areas in West today and missed them??? I particularly like Buddy but we may not be in their area 50miles from Bournemouth or less? I have emailed Helen and showed interest - I hope they will consider us as he looks ideal. My husband is willing to drive 1-2 hours .

This post has been edited by doggyvonne: 11th Nov 2017, 9:11 pm
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 11th Nov 2017, 9:30 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

I have emailed Helen about Buddy and now also found the email for Buzz too. thank you so much.x

This post has been edited by doggyvonne: 11th Nov 2017, 9:40 pm
+Quote Post
mokee
post 11th Nov 2017, 11:13 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(doggyvonne @ 11th Nov 2017, 9:30 pm) *

I have emailed Helen about Buddy and now also found the email for Buzz too. thank you so much.x

You're very welcome, hope it goes well for you smile.gif
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 12th Nov 2017, 3:11 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

I have spoken to one of the rescue ladies and applied for an application form to home Buzz. It looks hopeful.
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 12th Nov 2017, 3:58 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 10023

Oh fab news - fingers crossed
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 12th Nov 2017, 4:00 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Buddy has actually vanished from the gallery so maybe he is taken
+Quote Post
mokee
post 12th Nov 2017, 5:35 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(doggyvonne @ 12th Nov 2017, 3:11 pm) *

I have spoken to one of the rescue ladies and applied for an application form to home Buzz. It looks hopeful.

That's fantastic news, please keep us informed smile.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 11:45 am