Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fireworks Petition
bridienme
post 6th Nov 2017, 7:36 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 18456

The day after bonfire night I am left with 2 dogs who are now to scared to go outside. Last night, even with sedation, both dogs vomitted, defecated and urinated throughout the house with fesr. I thought it might be all over last night but again, tonight, we are being bombarded by fireworks so loud that they cannot possibly be legal.

I am tired of moaning about it without taking any action so I am trying to get a 100,000 name petition signed to present to the Government banning the sale of fireworks for domestic purpose. There are so many organized events available now that we don't need mini explosives going off in every garden.

Please, please, as loving, caring pet owners yourselves would you take the time not only to sign it but to share on your preferred social media pages.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/make...l-public/launch

If you visit the site you will also read how Northumbrian Firebrigade had to face missile attacks last night.

Thanking you in advance

Bridienme
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 6th Nov 2017, 7:48 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

There is currently a petition on the Government petition site.

Previous petitions resulted in The Government response in June this year.

Government takes the issue of firework safety very seriously. There is legislation in place that controls the sale, use and misuse of fireworks; we have no plans to extend this further.

the full response can be found here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/201947

You can also sign the petition from here. it would be better if signatures were on the one petition.
+Quote Post
bridienme
post 6th Nov 2017, 7:56 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 18456

If 100,000 signatures are achieved then the Govt has to do something about it... I did not realise there was a petition ongoing here. I will look for it then remove my post.

,.......where is it?

This post has been edited by bridienme: 6th Nov 2017, 7:58 pm
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 6th Nov 2017, 8:26 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

It's on the link on Dalsmum's post. I was going to say the same. They're over 75,000 signatures now, so hope more sign.

Chris
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 6th Nov 2017, 11:38 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Nearly 82,000 signatures now.

Chris
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 7th Nov 2017, 7:58 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

Signed, just over 83000 now!
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 7th Nov 2017, 8:01 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(bridienme @ 6th Nov 2017, 7:56 pm) *

If 100,000 signatures are achieved then the Govt has to do something about it...

No, they don't. As dalsmum has said, the FAB petition has been running for a while now (and has not long started anew for this year). At 10,000 signatures they have to respond, which is the standard 'there are already laws etc in place so we're not bothered'. At 100,000 signatures, it has to be debated in parliament, which it was in June, and apparently favourably so; but nothing further happened.

Last November, a second petition shot over 100,000 after a dog was frightened by fireworks, bolted into the sea and drowned. Literally nothing happened - the government did not debate it because a debate had already happened recently thanks to the first petition.

As much as I hate to sound jaded, we aren't going to win this one for a long time yet. Momentum is certainly building, it's starting to happen tiny piece by tiny piece, but I believe we are many years off yet. The current culture of our country is 'do what you like and the hell with everyone else' and where animals are concerned, that is even stronger so it is going to be a very long uphill climb.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 7th Nov 2017, 8:35 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Well, we have to keep trying Nikrushka. Perhaps, in the end, the fact that people are buying enough explosives to blow an area to pieces, needs to be in the next petition. The fact that idiots are attacking firemen and car drivers and peoples homes need to be mentioned too. We know most conservatives seem not to care about animal safety (my MP certainly doesn't), so a different approach may be needed. But we need to keep trying.

Chris
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 7th Nov 2017, 10:24 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Absolutely - as I said, it is heading in the right direction and I do believe we'll win in the end. But it is going to take many years, and the government don't have to do a thing.

The FAB campaign is not just about the petition - they already do what you've suggested. They have logs for when, where and how long fireworks happen, year round, and they have a damage log for all the various incidents as you describe. And it still wasn't enough when it was debated in parliament.

This is why I'm a bit jaded - it's made no difference so far, nothing has changed. But, slowly slowly, the tide is turning.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 7th Nov 2017, 10:26 am
Post #10

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

I agree we have to keep trying but it needs everybody to be in the same place to get the numbers and to show them it will not go away.

My husband used to have a gun shop and needed a special licence with rules attached to buy or store explosives. But Joe Bloggs can buy fireworks freely. They are nothing else but coloured explosives.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 15th Nov 2017, 9:47 am
Post #11

Group Icon

Parliament will be debating again on January 29th!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 3:49 am