Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cures Or Teatments For Itichy Skin, Advice please on itchy skin
Saskia
post 2nd Nov 2017, 12:12 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 23954

Hi I wonder if some of you might be in a position to help.

My Labrador has developed very itchy skin at the base of his tail. Initially we thought that he had picked up some fleas but having scrutinised his coat and having taken him to the vet for their opinion its fairly clear that he doesn't. (he sometimes has a good old scratch at his rib cage too).

He is treated with frontline every six weeks, and the vet has prescribed a shampoo called Dermocanis which he is being bathed in regularly but the problem is persisting. His skin doesn't look inflamed or anything just clearly bothersome for him.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to alleviate the problem for him or perhaps the cause?.

He writhes about in the grass every time he goes out, - not sure whether this is contributing to the problem he seems to really enjoy rolling about in the grass and it seems he is doing it for fun rather than because it is calming for his skin.

I had thought of applying something topically, perhaps something oil based that might soothe, but done know what. castor oil perhaps ???

I'm giving him sardines and fish oil tablets to see if that helps. His coat is beautifully shiny and in all other respects he looks in tip top condition.

I've heard of a shampoo called episoothe - any one used it is it any good.

its such a worry id appreciate any feedback from you guys out there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mokee
post 2nd Nov 2017, 1:54 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 36406

I always keep Dermacton in the house after I was recommended it on here several years ago. I used it on a dog with a lick granuloma that the vet had been treating for six months with no success - she'd wear the cone of shame whilst it healed, we'd take it off when it was better, then in as little as half an hour she'd lick it raw again and end up back in the cone of shame.

I phoned Aromesse for advice and they recommended the Dermacton cream would be the best option for her, there is a spray and a shampoo bar too - so we applied it regularly for a couple of weeks whilst her granuloma healed and this time when the cone came off, no licking! She never had any problems with it again, it was an absolutely honest to Dog miracle, and if I'd heard about it on the internet I would never have believed it.

Here's there website if you want to take a look. Dermacton is made from only natural ingredients so no nasty chemicals in there either - I don't know how it works but it does and I swear by it for itchy dogs now.

http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/petna...dog-canine.html

This post has been edited by mokee: 2nd Nov 2017, 1:55 pm
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 2nd Nov 2017, 1:57 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 23954

that is so helpful - Mokee I'll definitely give it a go. Thank you
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 2nd Nov 2017, 4:15 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

Did the vet check anal glands. Dogs chewing/liking is often 'off the mark' and will sometimes even chew their feet when their anal glands are irritating them.

Sorry if you already know this and I sound patronising. But thought I would mention it as I seem to have been blessed by dogs with anal gland problems.

Ange
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 11th Nov 2017, 3:50 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

What food are you feeding him? I have found that some dogs that have wheat in their food can get itchy skin.

--------------------
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 11th Nov 2017, 5:39 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

Another good shampoo is Quistel. I used to use it in my grooming parlour, with excellent results. You can buy direct from their website. They do sprays too.

Chris
+Quote Post
Nina's Mum
post 12th Nov 2017, 2:12 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 11235

My two had been itching like crazy the last couple of weeks. Took the eldest to the vet and he says it could be an allergy to leaf mold - quite common apparently at this time of year, especially if they rummage around. They both been given antihistamines and it's really helpful. Maybe you could ask about piriton for yours?
+Quote Post
natbest
post 13th Nov 2017, 11:02 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 49122

I've been using wildwash pro shampoo on my two for a few weeks. The sensitive one, noodle my Bedlington has always been itchy, despite grain free food and her anal glands need emptying a lot! She's got into a bad habit of bum biting too. I occasionally use malaseb on her bum and feet/mouth area but I don't like to really as it's such strong chemicals. (It's prescription only) but this new shampoo is great, lots less itchiness already, brighter coat too, her brown bum bits are less and it's all natural plus anti flea in every formulation. Bit pricey but great stuff. I've since bought the anti flea spray plus the healing paw balm too.
I got mine from fetch via ocado but if you go on wildwash website it does tell you local stockists as well.
You do dilute it so a bottle would last ages.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 11:42 am