Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flooring, Need something strong, kind to dogs
JoyofDogs
post 10th Apr 2012, 1:15 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 6671

My extension is almost finished and I want to put new flooring down throughout the house.

I love the look of laminate but am worried about the dogs slipping, especially as one is getting on a bit. They are used to carpets.

I want something easy to keep clean so have eliminated carpet, which I have always had (with 2 golden retrievers!!) Lovely and warm but not very practical especially as time goes on.

My other option is a very good qualify vinyl. Bamboo flooring is also recommended for dogs. Anyone tried that? I've heard that Rhino floor is good, too.

I would be very grateful if members would be able to let me know their experiences of different types of flooring.

I have tried to search as I believe this has been discussed before but my search option doesn't work, so I hope you don't mind resurrecting this topic.

Thank you for any help and advice you might be able to give me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Athel
post 10th Apr 2012, 1:33 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46906

I asked a similar question a while back smile.gif

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...amp;hl=laminate
+Quote Post
Jazzlet
post 10th Apr 2012, 2:12 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 15254

Permission to search is one of the priviledges you get if you become a Sponsor Member smile.gif

I have laminate downstairs, all done by the previous owners and I really would not recommend it. My two GSDs are still young and they slip on it all the time because they are charging about, but it was a nightmare for my elderly Springer as she became increasingly fragile; it was just too slippery and she had huge problems simply staying standing. We matted everywhere.
+Quote Post
Akitas
post 10th Apr 2012, 3:03 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 19851

I have reasonably non-slip tiles. Selection process was to go to the local Topps tiles and run my fingers across every tile and pick the least slippy one. I also have rubber backed mats down, but it's actually pretty non-slip even when wet. And so far very hard wearing, only thing is that as it's not so slippy it seems to wear out the mop faster than the laminate did. I love it. smile.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
beth524
post 10th Apr 2012, 3:23 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 53923

We have a wood flooring called Balterio, it is more expensive than normal laminate but our dog who loves to run around especially when we have a foster dog and they haven't scratched it at all smile.gif
+Quote Post
ramsey
post 10th Apr 2012, 5:24 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 13821

Ive been looking into the same for the new house and it looks like were going to go with this for the hallway and dining area
PLUS FLOOR

Weve seen it in a restaurant and have samples and it seems to be pretty good
+Quote Post
sukibeau
post 10th Apr 2012, 7:56 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 50811

smile.gif We have rhino flooring down in the kitchen. It is very good , not slippy at all, but it was expensive. We have laminate down in the hall just abot totally covered with rugs because it is a nightmare for our oldies.
+Quote Post
mrs phas
post 10th Apr 2012, 9:38 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 47938

how about flotex? its changed a lot from the early 1980's old people home style and as a mother of 4 boys i can certainly atest to its hardwearing and cleanbility
i used to take a mop to ours daily
+Quote Post
GOTTZ'S
post 10th Apr 2012, 11:51 pm
Post #9

Member No.: 47517

I have Laminate in my Kitchen and Conservatory. One of my dogs is fine on the laminate but my old boy struggles when he gets excited. He scrabbles around and I have to ask people to stand in the living-room to greet him as it worries me. Years ago my Grandparents Goldie had to be PTS as she slipped and broke her leg on Laminate flooring and due to her existing arthritis it was felt kinder to let her go.

From a cleaning point of view I would rather hoover than mop and sweep.

A friend of mine has got a lovely vinyl floor that doesn't seem anywhere near as slippery.
+Quote Post
Boysie
post 11th Apr 2012, 8:29 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 7857

QUOTE(ramsey @ 10th Apr 2012, 6:24 pm) *

Ive been looking into the same for the new house and it looks like were going to go with this for the hallway and dining area
PLUS FLOOR

Weve seen it in a restaurant and have samples and it seems to be pretty good

That looks good! Though wonder if water can get into / through the joins?
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 11th Apr 2012, 10:02 am
Post #11

Member No.: 10491

QUOTE(Boysie @ 11th Apr 2012, 8:29 am) *

That looks good! Though wonder if water can get into / through the joins?

http://www.plusfloor.co.uk/

<h1 class="PlusHeadingRed24px">APPLICATION</h1>...................................There's even a fully waterproof version, available in all colours and finishes. This is designed to click directly into the standard boards and so enables you to fit it into washrooms and bathrooms whilst leading seamlessly into the main area of flooring with the standard Plusfloor boards.
+Quote Post
JoyofDogs
post 11th Apr 2012, 7:27 pm
Post #12

Member No.: 6671

Ooh, thank you to everyone who replied. Absolutely brilliant info and advice. It's always good to hear about other people's experiences. I looked into the other thread about this, too - very helpful.

I've got some samples of laminate but some of the posts confirm my worries about my goldies slipping; pity there isn't such a thing as a completely non-slip laminate. I have sent for samples of Plus Four, Rhino Flooring and other very strong vinyls. Hadn't thought about flotex so will go to local carpet shop to see what they have, too.

There is so much to choose from, isn't there? At the moment I'm swayed towards a very very good quality vinyl, something warm which the dogs won't slip on but which looks like wood (pictures shown in the other thread were helpful).

Thank you again. This is a great place to seek advice smile.gif)

Joy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 2:56 pm