Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paw Cuts Advice
beth524
post 10th Apr 2012, 11:53 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 53923

I went for a nice walk today and have got back home and both dogs seem to have some cuts on their feet.

Islay's cut is on her webbing part between her toes, nothing too major but not sure if this should be cleaned and wrapped up or just left alone as she is ignoring it.

Diesel however has a few cut feet, he has one by his Carpal pad, and he keeps licking this one.
He also has another one which has gone between the pad and the toe nail.

I am wondering should I be washing the cuts? I have cleaned all mud out but no major clean.

Also should I wrap them up with bandage or anything?

Diesel is wearing a cone to stop him licking his
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
coinsky
post 10th Apr 2012, 12:00 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 14818

Kofi sliced his pad the other week, I washed it daily with hibiscrub and kept it bandaged during the day and then took the bandage off at night. smile.gif

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post
Helen@ruralhome
post 10th Apr 2012, 12:49 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 54926

I would do what coinsky does smile.gif . Paws are a high risk area for infection simply because the dog is walking on surfaces which can have a huge amount of bacteria.
+Quote Post
Smoothfox
post 10th Apr 2012, 4:35 pm
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 41416

If you haven't got hibiscrub good old fashioned salt water is great for keeping cuts clean. Its 1 teaspoon of salt per pint of warm water. If you put it in a bowl you can submerge their paws and give them a good soaking. The low level of salt shouldn't smart too much on the wounds.
+Quote Post
Jo@thewilderness
post 10th Apr 2012, 4:46 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 35226

Salt water is better than hibiscrub as it helps to draw out bugs. As others have said dibbling the paw is great and you should only need to do it the once really...

If they are superficial cuts I would give them a good clean, dress them if you need too (make sure you have lots of padding as paws rub very easily), otherwise put a plastic bag over them when the dog is outside and allow the air to get to them when they are inside. Clean for a couple of days then keep dry to get them to granulate. Inspect daily for any signs of infection (redness, heat, weeping) and allow them to heal.

Dogs eh rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:40 am