Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Walking
Chairless
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:37 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 55161

Can someone in the know give me a rough guideline oh how much exercise a day a male welsh sheepdog, collie, thing would need.

He likes hugs and showing me his lipstick, I don't know if that would affect the amount needed.

Today we have walked around 5 miles and played throw the toy, I will run after it but you can go pick it up once I've run further down the field with it and dropped it for about 30 minutes also. That's probably about 3 hours of exercise, ish. For the last week he has had at least 4 hours a day.

He is due another mile and a poo break in an hour or so but is looking at me like he's never seen outside before. He's just taking the mick out of me right? Surely that's enough?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rescuewoman
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:43 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 2319

QUOTE(Chairless @ 7th Apr 2012, 8:37 pm) *

Can someone in the know give me a rough guideline oh how much exercise a day a male welsh sheepdog, collie, thing would need.

He likes hugs and showing me his lipstick, I don't know if that would affect the amount needed.

Today we have walked around 5 miles and played throw the toy, I will run after it but you can go pick it up once I've run further down the field with it and dropped it for about 30 minutes also. That's probably about 3 hours of exercise, ish. For the last week he has had at least 4 hours a day.

He is due another mile and a poo break in an hour or so but is looking at me like he's never seen outside before. He's just taking the mick out of me right? Surely that's enough?

He is a collie, he will continue to want to walk whatever amount you give him .. sorry that is how they are. You could take them on for 12 miles and at the end he would say what next. Sorry! But you need to get him into a routine when he realises when he is walked and when he isn't. Good luck with that one then! lol.gif You did want a dog which could be walked didn't you?

--------------------
When you rescue a dog, you gain a heart for life
+Quote Post
Bunter1
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:44 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 34100

My BC girl gets about an hour off lead, some training and about 15 minutes on lead last thing at night. End of.

Perhaps his ickle brain needs a workout as well as his ickle legs? Free shaping using a clicker smile.gif Ten minutes of that and he'll be knackered!

Lots of info on Karen Pryor's website
+Quote Post
Chairless
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:48 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE(rescuewoman @ 7th Apr 2012, 8:43 pm) *

He is a collie, he will continue to want to walk whatever amount you give him .. sorry that is how they are. You could take them on for 12 miles and at the end he would say what next. Sorry! But you need to get him into a routine when he realises when he is walked and when he isn't. Good luck with that one then! lol.gif You did want a dog which could be walked didn't you?

oh yes and walked he shall be and is, not any monster outings yet but they will come.

am I covering his basic needs though? I don't know how to interpret the face im getting whether its a, come on I really need to cover some more ground today or hes just trying it on because theres nothing on tv.
+Quote Post
misty11
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:48 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 4551

Mine would run all day, the more exercise you give the more they want!
Brain work tires them out more than running, they love find it games.
+Quote Post
Bunter1
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:51 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 34100

He doesn't need all day physical exercise, no. But - as he is a clever collie - he does need his brain working. Teach him some tricks smile.gif
+Quote Post
dom_&_bee
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:51 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 16913

I would suggest some games as well to get his brain working, maybe doing scatter feeding or using kongs, etc. You could also do scenting games in the house smile.gif

But would also suggest that he learns a settle for when you want him to chill out. Callum (who would have been soooooo suitable for you in a few months time rolleyes.gif ) is a 7 month old collie boy who wasn't taught to settle by his previous owner. I remember one night, sitting quietly for over 3 hours whilst he rammed a nylabone into me until he finally settled and fell into a deep sleep (and behaved better afterwards as he really did need that sleep!) He now settles really well during the day and evening and will sleep for a couple of hours before getting up and being manic again lol.gif
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:52 pm
Post #8

Member No.: 54116

Sounds like you are covering his needs. smile.gif Remember he could be a bit wired still because he's just come to you - my dog was quite wired and a bit anxious and I think that went into being very excitable and over-sensitve when I got him.

He's a lucky dog to have a keen walker as an owner.

I find my dog loves games - you could do a bit of football or hiding little bits of sausage around the house and garden - takes a while to build up. Things like this can work their brain and teach them words and commands which is part of what collies like and can respond well to.
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 7th Apr 2012, 8:02 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4804

You can get puzzles toys where you put treats in different bits and they have to work out how to get them out. I got Pip JRT a wooden one . He worked out how to get threats out and then chewed the puzzle. err.gif
+Quote Post
rescuewoman
post 7th Apr 2012, 8:05 pm
Post #10

Member No.: 2319

You are definitely covering his needs. Dogs try their luck, and as others say the most important thing about collies is that their brain is worked. His big bro who is here, looks at me like he wants to go out and he is older, I just tell him to lie down and he does. Don't worry about it .. he will sense that too. Collies are clever and he will look at you to find out what is wrong!

--------------------
When you rescue a dog, you gain a heart for life
+Quote Post
Chairless
post 7th Apr 2012, 8:36 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

ok thanks guys, much appreciated.

We are all done with todays walks now so a kong stuffed full of gammon seems to be taking his attention for now. The man does love his gammon.

when hes done with that he can finish his crossword, or work on his recall across the frontroom. whichever he gets to grips with first.
+Quote Post
Vera
post 7th Apr 2012, 8:37 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 715

One hour (off lead, energetic) exercise should be enough for most dogs, a couple of hours for an energetic gundog or collie is perfectly adequate! You give him more, he will ask for more. If you give him 4 hours a day, he will ask for 5, if you give him 6, he will ask for 7!

As others have said, mental stimulation is vital. Otherwise you will just end up not just with a bored dog, but with all that execise with a very fit bored dog... And don't forget to make sure he learns to settle/rest as well otherwise you will have a wired dog that you can't switch off which can mean a stressed dog (and owner). wink.gif

This post has been edited by Vera: 7th Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

--------------------
For kind and effective dog training for all breeds or crossbreeds of any age, visit www.wtdt.co.uk
+Quote Post
coinsky
post 7th Apr 2012, 8:42 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 14818

I think it does vary a lot, one hour offlead running a day wouldn't be enough for my dogs but for others it's fine. Mine get around 3-4 hours a day but they would be ok with 2.5hrs probably, I just like to walk. lol.gif

I think it sounds like you are taking him out lots and doing lovely things so I wouldn't worry. I think as muttlover said, he might still be a bit excited by it all. When I first rescued Shilah, he would go out on a 3 hour walk, come home and want to play as if he hadn't even been out. wacko.gif He settled down after a while and now comes back from a walk and snoozes, so I am sure your boy will chill.

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post
FBunny
post 8th Apr 2012, 9:39 am
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 38702

Fine me a dog that can walk, you said!

I want to be out all day, you said!

lol.gif

Now you see why I said try training classes and then think of something to do with him like agility or obedience that will work his brain and tire him out.

Besides, he knows you're a pushover, he only has to look at the window as though he wants to go out and you're putting your coat on wink.gif
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Apr 2012, 9:45 am
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

If you'd had him longer I'd have suggested one of Riotus's training days - scent detection, that sort of thing. There's one near Dawn this month but I think he needs to settle for a bit yet.

But, I'm pretty sure there will be more - might be worth looking at when he's been with you a while smile.gif Ditto Dawn's suggestions of agility or obedience.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 12:21 am