IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scent Marking, In neutered male dog
Pam13
post 6th Apr 2012, 7:29 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 32646

Just something that has got me thinking today so thought I'd ask the collective wisdom that is DP!

Mac was neutered young, thought he was about 9 months but in reality he was probably only about 5 months old. He is fear reactive, kicks off and very gobby, but a trainer/ behaviourist friend commented today about him lifting his leg very high and scent marking a lot. She had said she hadn't seen it in a neutered dog before and thought it quite odd.

Anyway just wondering if anyone elses dog does this or if anyone has any ideas or thought why Mac is doing this.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bunter1
post 6th Apr 2012, 7:48 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 34100

My Taffy dog was neutered at maybe 2 years old. He is a scaredy, fear aggressive boy. He cocks high and scent marks a lot.

My BC girlie was spayed at 5 months and scent marks everywhere! In fact she pees while in a handstand unsure.gif She is a happy, well-balanced girlie smile.gif

IME it seems not to matter if dogs are entire or neutered, secure or insecure. Some scent mark and some don't dunno.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 6th Apr 2012, 7:51 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Remy has always marked - he was neutered at 10 months. Linc actually marks more - he was done maybe 5 or 6 months ago (don't know exactly but definitely under a year old). If Remy marks, he will immediately go over the top (and often over the girls' marks, too).

Yet the dog that marks the most by far - almost obsessively - is my 13yr old bitch who was done most likely between 6 months and a year old. And yes, she will cock her leg so long as she can stay upright!
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 6th Apr 2012, 9:24 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 10491

I have had three neutered dogs who marked.

My last dalmatian marked . He did start cocking his leg at 16 weeks old but stopped when he was neutered at 9 months old.
However he started cocking his leg and marking again at 2 years old.

Murphy was neutered at 14 months and continued to cock his leg and mark.. He always marked where my dalmatian went, then the dalmatian marked on top of that and then Murphy marked on top of that.

However the one who marked the most was my retriever bitch. She only started doing it after she was neutered at 4 years old and she cocked her leg as high as it would go.

I used to get odd looks when someone saw her cock her leg and then I referred to her as female.

+Quote Post
Lamington
post 7th Apr 2012, 10:10 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 43830

I presume you mean scent marking outside rather than indoors? Both my neutered boys cock their legs high and scent mark and will do it one after another. One wasn't neutered till the rescue did it when he was two and a half, I don't know about the other one but I suspect it was done when he was young. I'm surprised by your trainer's comments, I thought it was pretty common.
+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:05 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

My neutered males scent mark much more than my entire boys and will mrk over the top of eahc other when out. Tis a blooming nuisance
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:57 pm
Post #7

Member No.: 54116

IME it seems not to matter if dogs are entire or neutered, secure or insecure. Some scent mark and some don't dunno.gif

I don't know about all dogs, but my dog marks less since being neutered. He was neutered at 5

This post has been edited by muttlover2: 7th Apr 2012, 7:58 pm
+Quote Post
celia
post 7th Apr 2012, 9:49 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

Beth, spayed female, scent marks during handstands everwehere , she can reach higher than most boys with a combined technique of agility and geometry .
Barney, neutered male, does his best with limited equipment . But enjoys competitive weeing given the chance.
+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 7th Apr 2012, 10:44 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 30558

Here are Patricia McConnell's thoughts about marking behaviours:

The Power of Pee

and here is part 2

Overmarking
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post 9th Apr 2012, 9:06 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 2829

Banya, spayed female, now 11, scent marks and always has done smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 9th Apr 2012, 11:40 am
Post #11

Member No.: 10491

Interestingly, Murphy always scent marked where Hovis went, then Hovis scent marked over that, then Murphy went again over that.

When Hovis marked he went once, whichever way he was facing.

When Murphy marks he goes once lifting one leg, then turns round and goes again raising the other leg.

We lost Hovis last year and got Cleo at the summer.

Murphy ignored where she went until a month ago. Then he would go and sniff where she went but not mark.

Last week he started marking where she went. He stands beside her and waits until she's finished (thankfully) and then marks, first from one side then turns round and marks again facing the other way.

He has only ever marked 'family' so Cleo must be accepted as family now.
+Quote Post
natbest
post 11th Apr 2012, 3:37 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 49122

Curly marks outside all the time, slightly less than he used to pre neutering! Noodle also marks though not as much, its taken her about a year to get into it(she was spayed last may)what I do have to watch is curly, otherwise he will mark on her head if we don't watch it! lol.gif my last dogs (all netered/spayed)did it too.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 10:42 am