IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smaller Dogs Charging And Barking
Lindsay
post 7th Apr 2012, 7:53 am
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 2829

QUOTE(muttlover2 @ 6th Apr 2012, 1:14 pm) *

My friend has a dog he is quite small and very loving. He has a bit of a habit of charging after dogs barking and carrying on. I wondered if he might have terrior in him as it seems a little similar but I don't know. We've been getting him and my dog ok with each other in the house and it's mainly been positive with the odd grumble. And they have walked together nicely - even on leads held in the same hand so no fisticuffs. The wee dog has a very good recall except in the above circumstances of seeing another dog and doing his charging routine. He doesn't seem too bad in one way but I was wondering how this can be worked on. They are keeping him on a long-line and not letting him do it but obvioulsy would like to move towards getting him off at some point and improving his recall in this particular situation.

Your friend is doing the right thing by using a long line (and harness, or collar? sorry if I've missed it, but harness is best for the neck etc flowers.gif ). The main thing really with any unwanted behaviour is to prevent its repetition/practice, and this is what they are doing - so that's all good ok.gif

They may like to read Pat McConnell's little booklet called The Cautious Canine as I think it may fit here http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/product/c...g-training-book if the reason for the charging bheaviur is fear based. j

Another useful book which gives tips for how to handle reactive dogs is her booklet called Feisty Fido smile.gif

They won't totally solve the problems but will give some help and understanding as to how to manage, reasons for the behaviour, and give training tips for easier management.

I'd also suggest that once the owners are more confident, you can maybe trail the long line and cut it down so that it disappears gradually and they can also always step on it if there is a problelm looming. But that will come a bit later.

Htha a bit

Lindsay
x
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
celia
post 7th Apr 2012, 9:42 am
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 7184

I did a google and found an interesting pdf by the Dog Scouts of America , who seem fine , they advise Karen Overall's relaxation protocols and are big in camping, swimming and other exciting things with dogs. But the PDF ,which I tried and failed to post here but googling "polite greetings dog to dog " should refind it, has a nice diagram or 3 of walking circles and ovals to gently introduce dogs to each other's smells , leading up to dogs managing a 3 second sniff and move. The intersecting oval procedure they recommend for dogs in particular that over-excitedly charge and also for nervous dogs that are uncomfortable with dogs charging.

Basically I still think as I said before your friend needs to be modelling the correct polite greetings , as per the protocols in the Dog Scouts thing or similar, so that he learns to approach with more politeness and in a calmer slower fashion. This still entails speaking with other dog owners and getting their cooperation I believe. I do the following behind for nervous Barney and also the wide arc before approach so that he can suss another dog out gradually.

So although yes he needs to be on the long line and harness so he cannot practise the charging approach for now, he also needs to be shown the politer way of greeting that will help him get along and learn to meet nicely off-lead.
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 7th Apr 2012, 1:15 pm
Post #18

Group: Member
Member No.: 54116

Many thanks both. Celia - that sounds ace. And it's sort of what I did to other dogs when B didn't appreciate them bouncing into his face. Interesting thought to teach polite greeting.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 6:12 am