IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I Be Worried
Ashantay
post 6th Apr 2012, 8:51 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 28446

We have a border collie called Kissa she is 9 years old and the top dog in our pack (underneath me and my husband of course). Recently we have been dog sitting the smallest jack russell I have ever seen. She is a year and a half and approximately 5 or 6 pounds I have seen rats bigger, our Kissa keeps following her and pushing her down with her nose and I can see her getting a bit excited like maybe she is something to eat and I worry... Yesterday while outside she kept pushing her down with her nose then turning her by nudging her in a circle. We are a bit concerned that she is going to try to eat her or something but at the same time she shows no aggression towards her in the house so do not know if we should be worried. We are watching closely anyway because she is our friends dog but if she is in any danger we do not want to sit her again as we would hate to see anything happen to her.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 6th Apr 2012, 9:51 am
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

smile.gif Sounds like she thinks the jr is her puppy wub.gif

"I dont remember giving birth but this is obviously my puppy" wink.gif wub.gif
+Quote Post
FeeFee
post 6th Apr 2012, 9:55 am
Post #3

Group: Member.
Member No.: 11011

It sounds as though she's 'herding' her. It doesn't sound aggressive, but the other dog may get fed up with it and object, so personally I'd be discouraging it and distracting your dog to do something else when you see it happening.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 6th Apr 2012, 9:57 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

What is the rest of her body language like? Relaxed? Happy-waggy (decent speed, not crazy-fast or very slow)?

What she's doing sounds very much like how my Opi (rotti X) will play with a lot of dogs these days - and how she used to play with my sister's chihuahua when she saw him often. It's entirely an effort to get them to play - she does it every time we run into the JRT X I used to dogsit - but with her it can be quite forceful so for safety, she's not allowed to poke small dogs lol.gif

With Monkey (the chi) she was very gentle, it was lovely to see wub.gif Normally when she plays she leaps about like a thing possessed, mouths, GRARRS and boxes btu with him she would lay down and just nudge him with her nose. He never appreciated it mind you lol.gif
+Quote Post
mollies mum
post 6th Apr 2012, 10:14 am
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 51981

My bitch kept doing this when my kittens were little, she'd pin then down and then she'd want to wash their rear end, I think she wanted to mother them but she was quite rough or at least I thought so even though the kittens weren't bothered, but as she was doing this she'd get over excited.
+Quote Post
Ashantay
post 6th Apr 2012, 8:55 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 28446

yea that is what she is doing and we were wondering because she is quite excited when she is watching her and she ONLY does it outside and watches her and kind of tries to keep her close to us... obviously the little dog being an adult herself does not care much for it and we have discouraged the behaviour. Fortunately she goes home tomorrow but I think we would be ok to watch her again. Kissa has/had great mothering instincts when she went through her false pregnancy as far as watching over her squeaky went and nesting and stuff so maybe that is all it is.

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it a lot and from what you guys have said I feel confident that she was not trying to hurt her.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 7:30 pm