IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Be Aware - Don't Mix Cats And Lilies!
lolbeck
post 4th Apr 2012, 1:23 pm
Post #1


Member
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Posts: 8838
Joined: 3 Apr 08
From: Uttoxeter, Staffs
Member No.: 37943



I am probably teaching you lot to suck eggs but I for one hadn't realised that lilies are poisonous to cats until a woman told me today.

Googled and there are several aticles from reputable sources including - http://annarboranimalhospital.com/animalho...-cats-dont-mix/ - and, with spring in the air and Easter on the horizon, folk may be having more flowers in the house than usual.

Better safe than sorry.

smile.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fi
post 5th Apr 2012, 6:39 pm
Post #2


Member
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Posts: 9915
Joined: 31 May 07
From: Fife
Member No.: 30283



I lost an elderly cat about 6 yrs ago to lily poisoning sad.gif I had been given a bunch and stuck them on a table in front of the window. Within 12hrs Jasper was very poorly and being very sick. I found pawprints of pollen on the table. The vets hadn't heard of the connection but I did some googling and took them some info. He was in the vets for 5 days and came home but sadly developed a very sudden embolism in his spine a few weeks later and was pts. I am convinced it was from the damage done to his kidneys from licking his paws after walking through the pollen, it takes very tiny amounts of lily to harm a cat.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 5th Apr 2012, 9:52 pm
Post #3


Member
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Posts: 10135
Joined: 7 Nov 04
From: shropshire
Member No.: 10854



I love lilies but threw all mine out about 8 or 9 years ago when I read about the effect they can have on cats. Lupins are another that are dangerous for cats too.

Chris

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
collies r best
post 6th Apr 2012, 8:45 am
Post #4


Member
****

Group: Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: 6 Apr 06
From: Guernsey
Member No.: 20236



ohmy.gif I never knew that they were so lethal ohmy.gif so thanks for that. However i never have any as my mother always declared them funeral flowers and wouldnt have them in the house and i've never been comfortable with them rolleyes.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Crazy.Collie
post 6th Apr 2012, 8:14 pm
Post #5


Member
*

Group: Member
Posts: 21
Joined: 10 Feb 12
Member No.: 54817



I think the problem is that the pollen falls off so easily and is obviously ingested when they groom themselves err.gif Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it's poisonous for most animals unsure.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

 



Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 9:40 am