IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I Need A Trainer Or Behaviourist? Sorry Long Post, Not sure if its me or the dog who needs sorted?
MistyTwix
post 5th Apr 2012, 7:18 am
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 19698

QUOTE(Lindsay @ 4th Apr 2012, 4:53 pm) *

I guess the problem is not so much recall, but the fact she runs off so surprisingly in the first place.

Are you sure she's not deaf or anything? Or has any sort of funny hearing so that she sometimes hears things and goes off in that direction... a long shot, a very long one, but her behaviour seems peculiar. Does she focus on anything, or just seem to run?

Is she in the garden, or can she be anywhere? Is it in different places? Different times?

Is she generally physically sensitive?

A behaviourist who was good might be able to get some answers upon seeing you and your girl. Difficult... I agree, keep her under control at the moment until you can get this sorted.... ok.gif
Lindsay
xx

I agree Lindsay I dont think recall is the problem, its the surprise element when she runs off. she definitely not deaf. My poor cat has been living upstairs since May and she hears every purr that Misty makes from downstairs!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
coinsky
post 5th Apr 2012, 7:23 am
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 14818

QUOTE(MistyTwix @ 5th Apr 2012, 8:16 am) *

She gets a general throw about the park walk in the morning before I go to work. After work its either out with me on the cycle path when she runs beside me and then we stop for a throw about or a different parkland or even some training at flyball jumps and a lead walk at night time. Weekends we go to the beach. If I dont throw her a ball she just stops and looks back all the time in anticipation. But she could be bored.

When she runs off, is it in the middle of a game or when she has the ball and you are just walking along?

I would do 2 things if its the latter.

I would play more varied games than just throwing the ball, hold her collar (or put her in a sit if she has a good stay) and throw the ball as far as you can into long grass/a wooded area etc and then send he to find it.

When you play fetch, don't just throw it but do some tricks/obedience in between, fun things like spin, weaving between your legs, jumping on/off a park bench, running around a tree (all things that can be taught at home first smile.gif ) so that there is more interaction with you.

Also, if you are using a plain ball, switch to one with a rope so that you can play tug rather than just throw it.

And the other thing I would do is....

Once you have finished playing and want to walk for a bit, take the ball off her and put it in your pocket. At random intervals, then suddenly call out 'ready ready?' and be all excited calling her and get the ball back out for a great game. If she is ball motivated, then as soon as you see her about to run off, you should be able to get her attention back on you.

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post
MistyTwix
post 5th Apr 2012, 7:24 am
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(amber @ 4th Apr 2012, 7:34 pm) *

Wonder if she's getting a scent (especially with it being Spring) of wild animals etc. and is going off to investigate? That could explain it being 'unpredictable'?

It does rather sound like she was off on a jolly, rolling in fox poo and generally having a lovely time on her adventures rolleyes.gif , perhaps all the freedom of her new life is just a bit too exciting at times.

I agree that a long-line (or well-fenced area...though can't really think of any in Edinburgh and I know it quite well...) would be a good idea & going back to basics teaching a recall, maybe an emergency down as well.

But if she is the type to run off if she whiffs something exciting, that's something you're going to have to manage to some extent.

I wouldnt be at all surprised. On Tuesday when she took off, she was as happy as a collie who had rolled in every piece of fox poo in Edinburgh! The area I do most of my training is fenced circular area with two exits which unfortuantely do not have gates. I cannot block these off when I let her off lead as it is a public path through the grassy area. Its very frustrating though! I dont think its a scent as if she runs off from here its straight onto suburban roads that she just trots along at a fast pace with me bringing up the rear trying to catch her attention.

I took extra balls out with me yesterday and this morning. We played 'I throw one ball, if you bring it back I'll throw a new one'. she seemed to enjoy that and there was no attempt to run off or disengage from me. I seriously think I'm boring!

I'm going to have a look at these recall games and see if I can do this. I've also emailed a behaviourist who has collies herself to see if she can help.

+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 5th Apr 2012, 9:27 am
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 30558

QUOTE(MistyTwix @ 4th Apr 2012, 1:30 pm) *

her recall is becoming very unpredictable

QUOTE(MistyTwix @ 5th Apr 2012, 8:18 am) *

I dont think recall is the problem

Oh I see, sorry, I may have misinterpreted your first post blush.gif and focused only on the recall bit. Ignore my earlier post! flowers.gif
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 5th Apr 2012, 11:52 am
Post #20

Group: Member
Member No.: 54116

Have you thought of walking with someone else and other dogs too? My dog is a bc and he does like a lot of interaction and entertaining. He used to be not great with other dogs but he is good now but I always found he would enjoy bumping into dogs with dog walkers (as long as not too many and too manic) as he liked to play chase and would gel with the group. Perhaps it would be worth thinking about walking with other people and dogs sometimes to see if she enjoys that. How old is she? She could have a lot of energy and if she is staying in whilst you are at work all day she is perhaps a bit bored and wanting more adventures and excitement. Could she get a walk at lunch? I don't have experience of this so I can't really advise but I have had a highly energetic collie who we got at 5 and he's still energetic at 8 but the edge is off him now which is a relief. I sometimes wonder what he was like at 2! They say collies need more mental stimulation and if she is young and being left a lot of hours - perhaps upping the interaction you have like Lindsay suggests could help...
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 5th Apr 2012, 11:55 am
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 54116

she runs off from here its straight onto suburban roads that she just trots along at a fast pace with me bringing up the rear trying to catch her attention.

I am confused about the jollies angle. But is she at all worried looking when she does this? What are her ears and tail doing and why can't you get her attention - is she stopping to sniff and mooch or on a mission?

Because it could be noise as their ears are a lot mroe sensitive. But if she seems really cheerful then it seems less likely.
+Quote Post
MistyTwix
post 6th Apr 2012, 8:27 am
Post #22

Group Icon

Muttlover:

Dani doesnt seem spooked when she runs off. More like, I've had enough of this and I'm off for a sniff. This I could deal with but its the continual fast trot as she's doing it. I dont think its a scent she's picked up though.

She isnt left in all day. My OH goes home at lunchtime but 9 times out of ten she wont even get out her bed to greet him. He has his lunch with her and very occasionally she asks to go out. She's 4 years old.

We start back at flyball on monday so it will be very itnerestign to see her interactions with other dogs and her recall when everything is very manic. I dont have any dog people near me. All neighbours have cats. The only dogs that seem to pass me are staffies with idiots at the other end of the lead. Most of these lovely dogs are only good with people and they are never off lead as they are so aggressive with other dogs.
When we do our beach walks at the weekend she totally ignores all the other dogs as my OH walks her and plays ball with her.
+Quote Post
jackied
post 10th Apr 2012, 6:54 am
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

I may have misinterpreted your first post and focused only on the recall bit. Ignore my earlier post

I wouldn't! lol.gif Whatever the reason is for her running off - boredom, hunting, panic - having more fun with you and a better recall is going to help.

Dani sounds a little bit like my two - who will both recall nicely most of the time and then take off hunting if they catch sight of a bird (Lucy) or scent of something (Twix) .

Great links, Rosiemongrel!

Whistles - do you not have a problem with dogs going to other people's whistles?

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:30 pm