> Brydee, Phantom pregnancy
mcclurgs
post 3rd Apr 2012, 1:42 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 45591

Our staffy baby girl Brydee seems to be having a phantom pregnancy sad.gif

The poor lass looks confused, whines a lot, seems nervy, keeps making my duvet into a nest, she loves to play with a balloon but now she is putting the balloons in her nest and sits whining at them or nudging them, she is spending a lot of her time in my bedroom in her 'nest'

Brydee is eating well, going out walking etc as normal and interacting with us, she will still play with her toys but she isnt as 'puppy' like or carefree as she normally is.

I've spoken to my vets and they said they could offer her medication.

Has anyone had any experience of phantom pregnancies ?

Did you let it run it's course?

Is there anything I should be doing to help her?

The wee love is just 8 wks past her season and will be spayed at 12wks, she's 2 yrs old and hasn't has pups previously.

Thanks for any help flowers.gif

Amanda xx

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mcclurgs
post 3rd Apr 2012, 1:44 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Don't know if this should be in here or chatter, maybe admin could move it if not.

Thank you

Amanda xx
+Quote Post
walkiesandtalkies
post 3rd Apr 2012, 2:13 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 26342

I think if she;s very distressed or is having milk then medication might be an idea. Things you can do are remove the baloons straight away - her having 'pup' type things will only prolong things. Cutting back her food slightly if she is producing milk nad encouraging her to have fun and keep her mind off things with a bit of a jolly hockey sticks attitude - taking her out for more walks, playing out in garden - high value treats for her to find, things like that. Anything she makes into a pup though you need to remove and hide away so she doesn;t go and sit and pine after them - having them really does prolong things.

There are other things you can give to help her if you don;t go down the med route, like Oil of evening primorose as it's a good hormone balancer. A couple of toehr things too. I would maybe try the other things for a day or two and if no improvement then I'd go for the meds as it really is no fun for them. Is really important for their hormones to be back to normal before spaying so can;t be done too soon but equally be done before she goes through it again as they tend to get worse with each phantom pregnancy bl;ess them.

--------------------
www.keepsakejewellery.co.uk

Handmade Pet Portrait and Keepsake Jewellery
+Quote Post
mcclurgs
post 3rd Apr 2012, 3:14 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE(walkiesandtalkies @ 3rd Apr 2012, 3:13 pm) *

I think if she;s very distressed or is having milk then medication might be an idea. Things you can do are remove the baloons straight away - her having 'pup' type things will only prolong things. Cutting back her food slightly if she is producing milk nad encouraging her to have fun and keep her mind off things with a bit of a jolly hockey sticks attitude - taking her out for more walks, playing out in garden - high value treats for her to find, things like that. Anything she makes into a pup though you need to remove and hide away so she doesn;t go and sit and pine after them - having them really does prolong things.

There are other things you can give to help her if you don;t go down the med route, like Oil of evening primorose as it's a good hormone balancer. A couple of toehr things too. I would maybe try the other things for a day or two and if no improvement then I'd go for the meds as it really is no fun for them. Is really important for their hormones to be back to normal before spaying so can;t be done too soon but equally be done before she goes through it again as they tend to get worse with each phantom pregnancy bl;ess them.

Thank you, the little soul has no milk yet thankfully, I have been dismantling the nest and all balloons are in the bin, she did try to move her ball in last night but it's out too now.
I've been giving her nice stuffed kongs, extra play sessions,exercise,limiting her access to my bed which she thinks is the nest, I have some bachs rescue remedy so will start her on that tonight, the evening primrose oil is a great idea.
I'm on annul leave after tomorrow so will get her out to some new spots to tire her head out a bit.

It's horrible to see her miserable and not her usual head butting,snogging,face washing,farting self.

Amanda xx

This post has been edited by mcclurgs: 3rd Apr 2012, 3:14 pm
+Quote Post
Doglovinglou
post 3rd Apr 2012, 5:00 pm
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 46256

I let them run their course with Missy. The vet told me at the time that it's only worth using medication if she was developing milk, and she never did.

She had increased appetite, became overly more affectionate, was moving stuffed toys to her "nest", whining at them. I found walking and distracting her with training and/or games helped take her mind off her "babies".

Don't worry, Brydee will be back to herself soon enough smile.gif
+Quote Post
mcclurgs
post 3rd Apr 2012, 5:34 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Doglovinglou @ 3rd Apr 2012, 6:00 pm) *

I let them run their course with Missy. The vet told me at the time that it's only worth using medication if she was developing milk, and she never did.

She had increased appetite, became overly more affectionate, was moving stuffed toys to her "nest", whining at them. I found walking and distracting her with training and/or games helped take her mind off her "babies".

Don't worry, Brydee will be back to herself soon enough smile.gif

Thank you, can i ask how long phantoms normally last?
I'm going to go with the keeping her busy / distraction routine for just now, if she develops milk I will pop her into my vet as would hate her to get mastitis.

Amanda xx
+Quote Post
kvs
post 3rd Apr 2012, 6:23 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 51523

peppas phantom lasted about 5weeks, it was a nightmare.
she was producing serum, not milk but was classed as the same. she was put on medication, i cant remember what it was called but it did make her really poorly after 4days
she had to have her spay rearranged because she was still producing serum and they didnt want to risk it.
they did do an ultrasound to check for pyometria but all was ok.

gentle hug.gif to your lovely girly and fingers crossed it will be nice and simple for you all!
+Quote Post
mcclurgs
post 3rd Apr 2012, 7:19 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(kvs @ 3rd Apr 2012, 7:23 pm) *

peppas phantom lasted about 5weeks, it was a nightmare.
she was producing serum, not milk but was classed as the same. she was put on medication, i cant remember what it was called but it did make her really poorly after 4days
she had to have her spay rearranged because she was still producing serum and they didnt want to risk it.
they did do an ultrasound to check for pyometria but all was ok.

gentle hug.gif to your lovely girly and fingers crossed it will be nice and simple for you all!

Oh poor Peppa, hope Brydee has it easier err.gif

Amanda xx
+Quote Post
Ashantay
post 6th Apr 2012, 7:58 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 28446

our Kissa went through phantom pregnancies I think it was her second or third she developed mastitis and ended up having to have an emergency spay. She developed milk and got the belly and everything and we knew she was not pregnant as she was never out of our site and our dog was neutered.

I would just keep an eye on her.. check her teats daily and ensure they are not getting infected then if you are not planning on breeding her I would get her spayed as soon as I could because it can happen again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 12:21 am