IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Self Control Depleted Dogs Make Poor Judgement Calls
riotous_uk
post 3rd Apr 2012, 7:38 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 3186

Interesting article that indicates dogs that have depleted their self control (by just using it) are likely to make poor decissions afterwards (such as approaching an aggressive dog). Apparently people who exert self control (such as restraining from eating cookies) then do badly in games that require mental focus which was the basis for this paper.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/64v467...08/fulltext.pdf

Not sure that I totally agree with their findings as I've found that a dog that practices self-control does tend to be less reactive not more and I haven't noticed them making poor decisions....so probably more work to be done on this and this paper does look at behaviour immediately following the dog using self control for 10 mins (which is how long the researchers considered it took to deplete the self-control - not that long really).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 3rd Apr 2012, 9:28 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51601

I read bits of that very differently from what the experiment purported to be about...the thing that made me think it was the example of a human not eating freshly baked cookies then doing an unsolveable puzzle...now if that was me, my mind would still be on the cookies and deffo not on the puzzle...
Maybe the same with the dogs and the fake hamster?
edit: Just read it again...could there be an aspect of annoyance here? You know "dammit I wanted that doughnut/buzzy thing" (human/dog)

I would also argue that a dog who has been taught by a human to do a sit stay is not demonstrating self control even after the human has left the area, the dog is demonstrating the control that the human has...similar to a distance recall....so this experiment is possibly demonstrating the fragility of human distance control over a dog and the outcomes of relying on it over a long period of time.

sorry if this is a bit incoherent

This post has been edited by woofgang: 3rd Apr 2012, 9:35 am
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 5:49 pm