> Tick Repellent Shampoos And Spray
woofgang
post 3rd Apr 2012, 5:54 pm
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51601

QUOTE(Muddikins @ 3rd Apr 2012, 6:41 pm) *

They are supposed to be very effective and Jack was wearing one when he arrived so I left it on for the month but I found it was breaking his fur and long term I feared a bald stripe although that may just have been the state of his fur at the time, it took nearly a year to get it into a decent condition. They are also deeply unlovely things that have to be worn tight and I like him to run nekkid in the house ohmy.gif

I agree. They don't have to be worn that tight but I would rather that my dogs didn't have to wear anything but for me its the least bad option. Mine have a short sleek coat (GSP) so fur breakage isn't an issue.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Muddikins
post 3rd Apr 2012, 6:12 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 39928

QUOTE(woofgang @ 3rd Apr 2012, 6:54 pm) *

I agree. They don't have to be worn that tight but I would rather that my dogs didn't have to wear anything but for me its the least bad option. Mine have a short sleek coat (GSP) so fur breakage isn't an issue.

Absolutely. I think that that is true for most things really, you seek the least bad option for your needs and circumstances. I would love to find a non chemical solution but I am not going to take any risks because his poor immune system is working at full speed to keep his existing infection at bay and I wouldn't want to compromise it with another systemic infection. If the Advantix didn't seem to be wroking so well he would be wearing a Scalibor collar this year.
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 3rd Apr 2012, 7:34 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 51715

A very, very important question...is it ok for a dog wearing a Scalibor collar to be in/on the bed with their humans?
+Quote Post
Muddikins
post 3rd Apr 2012, 8:05 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 39928

QUOTE(TheBeardedOne @ 3rd Apr 2012, 8:34 pm) *

A very, very important question...is it ok for a dog wearing a Scalibor collar to be in/on the bed with their humans?

Both Scalibor collars and Advantix contain a pyrethroid insecticide and are neurotoxic to humans but sharing a bed with muttkin hasn't killed me..........yet ohmy.gif and I think I have always been this odd tongue.gif
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 3rd Apr 2012, 8:06 pm
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

Yes absolutely it was one of the first things I asked the vet. Of course people do have allergies but generally it's fine. Apparently because the collar is worn continuously and the reservoir of insecticide is not in the dogs skin, it's a less irritating way of giving protection.

This post has been edited by woofgang: 3rd Apr 2012, 8:07 pm
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 3rd Apr 2012, 10:55 pm
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

If you want something non chemical then try neem. Neem Genie do a range of pet products and they to one called pet guard which is a spray and I've found successful at my aunts where the dogs pick up loads of ticks. They also have shampoos, tablets and chews that will all help towards repelling ticks etc.

I have to admit to not bring a fan of chemical based bug repellents and will only use them as last resort. Have been lucky in as far as only ever finding one flea on the dogs and the occasional tick.
Link to Neem Genie
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 4th Apr 2012, 6:44 pm
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 51715

Yipppe, that was my only worry as the dogs are so used to getting on the bed.

Will check out the Neem stuff too ok.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 10:12 am