2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice Needed Collie Looking For Temporary Home
vicki2012
post 1st Apr 2012, 3:01 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 55040

Hi i'm new to this forum and looking for some advice and help urgently. I am looking for a temporary home for my 3 year old collie from mid july for roughly 6 months. Were moving back home to canterbury kent from scotland but have to move in with mother in law until our house is ready but unfortunately she has pet allergies so he can't come with us. We have had him from a puppy so is part of the family and if i can't find anyone that might want to look after him we will have to have him rehomed and i just don't think i could cope with that. I am willing to pay for all food and any vet bills that might occur (not that he's needed vet treatment before). He is the most adorable friendly dog you could meet and gets on well with other animals and loves children (my 10 year old daughter being his best friend). If you could help me or know anyone in that area that might be able to help please get in touch it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trailhoundann
post 1st Apr 2012, 6:29 pm
Post #2

Member No.: 10241

I am sorry you have not as yet had a reply to your post. I am also sorry that I cannot offer a solution to your problem but there are lots of very helpful people on DP and I am sure someone will be along soon to suggest how you might cope with this. smile.gif
+Quote Post
vicki2012
post 1st Apr 2012, 9:35 pm
Post #3

Hi i really hope so and thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 1st Apr 2012, 9:41 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 202

It's a lot to ask someone to take in a dog for 6 months and then hand it back. Is your dog insured? Will you be paying someone for caring for your dog? It's a little unfair to expect someone to do it for nothing, it's a big commitment.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Trailhoundann
post 1st Apr 2012, 9:47 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 10241

The OP said

I am willing to pay for all food and any vet bills that might occur

Does that not answer your question ?
+Quote Post
roxysmum
post 2nd Apr 2012, 1:36 am
Post #6

Forums moderator
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2351

Hi Vicki, welcome to dog pages smile.gif Can't offer any practical advice as I am miles away from Kent. However there are quite a few members here from the area who may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.
Good luck with the move smile.gif

--------------------
Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue
www.hwanimalrescue.org
+Quote Post
Nina K
post 2nd Apr 2012, 5:30 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 24023

Hi. Welcome to DP and sorry you are in this situation. hug.gif

Have you thought of leaving your dog with a dog sitter in their own home? There would obviously be costs involved but at least then it would be done on a professional basis, with agreement in writing, so you would know exactly where you stood, what you were getting, how much it would cost, etc. (As already mentioned, for someone to take on the responsibility for someone else's dog for that length of time is a BIG ask.)

If you do end up leaving your dog with someone privately, I would urge you to get an agreement in writing about costs, etc. What if the dog escapes and gets lost? What if he destroys something in the house? What if he doesn't get on with another dog in the house? All areas you need to think about and have contingency plans for.

Also, 6 months is a long time in terms of bonding with a dog. Your dog would be well on the way to being settled in the new "home", only to be uprooted again. You also need to think of it from the perspective of the people who would be taking him in. They could be very attached to him in that time. You would need something in writing to ensure you did not end up with a situation where the carers were reluctant to hand the dog back when you were able to take him.

Just a few thoughts. smile.gif
+Quote Post
rescuewoman
post 2nd Apr 2012, 5:34 am
Post #8

Member No.: 2319

Hi if you are able to travel it might help widening your search net a bit, i.e. say the dog coukd be cared for anywhere and you would collect when possible. Alternatively ask any local kennels if they can reduce rate for long term visitor. If the person caring for dog went on holiday would you pay dogs boarding during that time?

--------------------
When you rescue a dog, you gain a heart for life
+Quote Post
algernonfatpants
post 2nd Apr 2012, 3:45 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 36805

I would do this but im in jersey and have a couple of week holidays lined up.
+Quote Post
Nutmeg
post 2nd Apr 2012, 10:49 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 4767

QUOTE(rescuewoman @ 2nd Apr 2012, 5:34 am) *

Alternatively ask any local kennels if they can reduce rate for long term visitor.

A local kennels near mother in law where you can visit him often would be your answer, but I dont know about the costs. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Deerhounder
post 3rd Apr 2012, 2:12 am
Post #11

Member No.: 35452

I would think a local kennels would be the cheapest option, a petsitter would cost a small fortune.

Then you could visit and walk him daily.
+Quote Post
Lucy8
post 3rd Apr 2012, 9:04 am
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 18764

It is probably worth putting up notices near your MIL. All the points that have been made are very valid and I am not trying to belittle the potential pitfalls.
But 6 years ago I would have bitten your hand off to "borrow" your dog. We had a 5 week trip planned and I did not want to take on a rescue and then leave it for that length of time. I ended up having to wait 16 months for my dog. Collecting for my local rescue I have come across people who for various reasons (one long holiday, two planning a house move within the next 12 months) could not have a dog at the time, but really missed having one.
Another option if you can do all the walking, is somebody who does not feel able to have a dog alone, because they are not fit enough, but would love the company.
In all cases you need to think it through and discuss the plans both sides have AND put it in writing, but I would not assume it is impossible. As a back up I would check out local kennels as suggested. Good luck!
+Quote Post
vicki2012
post 3rd Apr 2012, 9:44 am
Post #13

Hi thank you all for your comments and very valid points. Thats why i'm looking for someone close by to where we will be staying so we can still have contact with him on a regular basis and yes i'm willing to pay whatever costs are needed. I havent thought about writing a contract up but will make sure thats one thing i do. I have thought about kennels but he is so used to being a family dog i would rather him have that again as trying to limit the amount of stress he has to go through. Hopefully someone out there will help.
+Quote Post
collie67
post 3rd Apr 2012, 10:04 am
Post #14

Member No.: 49427

My mum and sister live in Canterbury I will ask them and see if they know anyone in he area who maybe able to help you,if you can pm me your number I will pass it on to them.

+Quote Post
GOTTZ'S
post 3rd Apr 2012, 10:43 am
Post #15

Member No.: 47517

I have been in a similar situation to yours and really hope someone can help you come up with a solution.

Ollie (Collie x) was my Dad and his partners dog for 8 years unfortunately they died and I am the only member of family that either of them had and there way no way I was going to let their dog go. I was living in a flat at the time with a strict no pets rule and was working full time.
Luckily for me I was a volunteer at a local rescue and as they had some free kennels they agreed to take him while I organised my living arrangements for a donation. A point you made about him being used to being in a home is worth baring in mind as Ollie had come from the pound all those years ago and had never been near a kennel since. I went to visit him twice a week and it was heart breaking. Eventually I was advised by the staff to stop visiting as it was making him worse.
A friend of mine who was also a volunteer there visitied him with me the last time and she said she had never seen a dog 'actually cry' before. Later that eveing I had a phone call from her saying she had cleared it with her Mum and they were happy to take him for as long as I needed. Ollie had never lived with another dog or cats so it was a bit tense when we took him to hers but he settled brilliantly even with 5 cats.
I used to pay for and take him to any vets appointments and paid for all his food. I used to take her dog and Ollie out together with her and on my own, she would just give me her key for a few hours. I was very lucky and I have a truley amazing friend and I am eternally grateful to her and her family for helping me when I really needed it. angel.gif
In total Ollie spent 1 month in kennels and over 12 months at my friends house and without their help I would have had no other option but to rehome him. It is definitely possible to get help in these situations but may take you some time to organise something.
I wish you the best of luck. x
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:15 pm