Closed TopicStart new topic
> Loving Home Offered, Must Be Child Friendly, Wiltshire
littlehayleyc
post 30th Mar 2012, 4:02 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 5158

We're looking for our new family member, and haven't had much luck so far. I've registered with a few rescues, and passed home-checks for 2 already but they have no suitable dogs for us at the moment.

We're not fussy about breed or size of dog, although we don't want anything too huge! The main criteria is that we have two young children whose ages are 21 months and 4 yrs, so need it to be good with them. We ideally want a dog that's used to other animals, particularly other dogs as there are others in the wider family. Not a young puppy as I work part-time 2 days per week. While I'm at work, we'd have a dog walker in, so he/she would be left no more than 4hrs either side of the walk. In Sept this will reduce slightly so will only be about 3hrs either side. I realise this may rule us out with some rescues. We would consider a pair of dogs, but only if they were smaller sized as we only have a small garden. The garden is fully enclosed.

My husband enjoys running, so would quite like a running companion. We're ideally looking for a younger dog, purely so that it can be part of the family for a long time.

We're happy to travel, but no more than about 1.5-2hrs because of the children.

thanks in advance,

Hayley
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
moorx
post 30th Mar 2012, 4:23 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

Have you tried Holly Hedge (near Bristol)?

http://www.hollyhedge.org.uk/vas.asp

Not sure what their policy is on children's ages, but worth checking with them.
+Quote Post
mrs phas
post 30th Mar 2012, 10:34 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 47938

how about venice?
as shes a blue corso shes not as big as other corso get, think big lab/retriever, not giant
have a read and see what you think, if your interested, please feelfree to contact me,we rehome country wide and have no fixed preconceptions
+Quote Post
Koshka
post 31st Mar 2012, 6:29 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Modley Associate
Member No.: 8120

I wonder if you might consider a trailhound? We regularly get them in at a little rescue called Worcs Animal Rescue Shelter near Malvern. We have some lovely young hounds waiting to come in including a very petite little girl. Will have more details soon about them.

We always have full info about the hounds from their previous owners regarding whether they have lived with children or cats. They make super family pets.

In the meantime our website has lots of info about trailhounds as pets. LINKY

Pic below of Dylan wub.gif who was homed a few years ago with Lenabears, who posts on here.

--------------------
www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk
from fellside to fireside
+Quote Post
littlehayleyc
post 2nd Apr 2012, 2:40 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Thanks for the suggestions. My husband works in Bristol so he's going to go and see Holly Hedge later in the week. Mrs Phas, thanks for the suggestion of Venice. She looks lovely but I think she's probably a bit big for us. We went to Bath Cats and Dogs home and Dogs Trust in Salisbury this weekend. It's made my husband in particular realise he'd rather not have a dog that's too big. We saw a gorgeous houndy type girl called Bella at Salisbury. She needs to live with another dog, otherwise we'd have considered her.
+Quote Post
Prof
post 3rd Apr 2012, 7:49 pm
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 55086

Hi,

We have a Jack Russel/Yorkie cross. great with children and being left on his own in a cage in the garage. House trained, loves walks, full vaccinated and micro chipped. Charlie is 5 and a half hers old.

Check these out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28401105@N07/

Kind regards,

Paul
+Quote Post
littlehayleyc
post 4th Apr 2012, 4:52 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

thanks for all the replies, but hopefully we have found our new dog. She's a whippet x bedlington terrier who's with scruples whippet rescue. We're going to foster her to start with to make sure she settles in ok, then adopt her if all goes well smile.gif
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 11:26 am