IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feeding Container
Zena's Pet
post 29th Mar 2012, 10:16 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46439

Zena has gone from behavioural problems to confused and dementia-like symptoms at times sad.gif I've discussed it with the vet, and we're monitoring how she's doing, but I have a particular problem with feeding her, and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. She's developed a fear of taking her food from a dish (or plate). I've tried dishes of all sizes and materials, but I end up having to feed her by hand. The chicken and rice in gravy was very entertaining rolleyes.gif

I've considered using a kong, but she's always been lazy with them, and I usually end up having to scoop or bash the food out for her anyway, so that defeats the object. She won't take food from a spoon. I'm prepared to go and talk to the vet about syringing food into her mouth, but I'm looking at that as a last resort.

She isn't holding out for different or better food, and it's often the case that she is hungry but in these moods she will NOT take food from a dish, and appears to be genuinely frightened. In her worst state, I can't even have the dish too near her to take the food from by hand.

It doesn't help that Zena has been borderline underweight all her adult life - she has no reserve, so I do need to find a way to deal with this.

If anyone has any ideas at all, I'll be extremely grateful. Thank you flowers.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
celia
post 29th Mar 2012, 10:29 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

Barney has recently become afraid of his bowls, on a stand ,after a toad may or may not have hopped nearby. rolleyes.gif
I have had to move the entire stand to another area of the kitchen.

Could she have had an incident ,obviously not with a toad like B, but something that worried her when eating or do you definitely reckon it is to do with dementia ?

Or could it be pain?

The other thing that came to mind was when B hurt his neck he was unable to stoop low down, hence the stand was introduced.
Could she have some stiffness in her neck due to age that is making your current bowl arrangements painful to use?
+Quote Post
Zena's Pet
post 29th Mar 2012, 10:37 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Thanks Celia. She's always had her bowl on a stand, originally in the kitchen, but we moved it to the sitting room a couple of years ago after she slipped in the kitchen and became very wary in there. There's been no specific incident to scare her, we've tried the stand in different places, we've taken the dish to her in different places but in her worst moods it seems to be fear of the dish itself. I've had her teeth checked, she had a full check-up last moth for her booster, and the vet described her as "physical perfection on four legs". She's just gone wonky in the head err.gif

We've already been through a stage where she wasn't afraid of the dish, but didn't seem to remember what to do with it. It definitely does seem to be dementia.
+Quote Post
Akitas
post 29th Mar 2012, 10:42 am
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 19851

Can you just scatter the food on the floor? or on a mat if it's a bit icky ... Practicality of that depends a bit on what you're feeding. I usually just scatter the food on the floor if it's kibble.
+Quote Post
nicola31
post 29th Mar 2012, 11:06 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 31423

As above I would have a go at scattering it, even in the garden, wet food aswell just put it out on the floor / garden and see how she does.
+Quote Post
Angel Fletcher
post 29th Mar 2012, 11:32 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 54084

I know it sounds silly, but she doesnt have a tag that rattles against the side of the dish? This used to panic one of my smaller dogs until we worked it out. We solved it by letting her eat her paltry servings out of a huge dish. Looks silly but she no longer gets frightened by her tag rattling the bowl.

This post has been edited by Angel Fletcher: 29th Mar 2012, 11:33 am
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 29th Mar 2012, 11:59 am
Post #7

Member No.: 10491

You could try putting it on a flat tray on your lap.
+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 29th Mar 2012, 12:51 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

paper plate?
+Quote Post
Zena's Pet
post 29th Mar 2012, 1:38 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Thank you everyone smile.gif

I've just come back from shopping and the dogs have gone out to their garden beds, so I scattered some bits of roast chicken around her and she's eaten those. Ianto managed to sneak some too rolleyes.gif , so it needs careful watching. He's supposed to be weight-watching. I've got an assortment of trays that I can try in the house, and I'm pretty sure I have some paper plates in a cupboard.

I'm not too keen on scattering food in the garden unless I can see it's all gone, as we do get rats pretty frequently.

A friend of mine has suggested that a large ladle might work for things like chicken and gravy. I'm going to give it a go, but I can see that ending in tears lol.gif

If I can get food into her any way for a couple of days (this seems to go in a cycle of 4-5 days) then I can experiment a bit when she's back in a calmer state of mind.

She doesn't wear a tag in the house, so it's nothing knocking the dish when she's eating. We do know there's a problem with noise or movement while she eats, so everyone has to sit still and quiet at those times. Tis not an easy life at present.

Thank you all again flowers.gif
+Quote Post
Akitas
post 29th Mar 2012, 1:59 pm
Post #10

Member No.: 19851

QUOTE(Zena's Pet @ 29th Mar 2012, 1:38 pm) *

I'm not too keen on scattering food in the garden unless I can see it's all gone, as we do get rats pretty frequently.

Could you scatter it on a blanket? That's easy to see what is and isn't eaten and to clean up the bits. Or you could send Ianto out after she's done to clean up, sounds like he'd be happy to assist wink.gif
+Quote Post
Zena's Pet
post 29th Mar 2012, 2:41 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(Akitas @ 29th Mar 2012, 2:59 pm) *

Could you scatter it on a blanket? That's easy to see what is and isn't eaten and to clean up the bits. Or you could send Ianto out after she's done to clean up, sounds like he'd be happy to assist wink.gif

Stoppit tongue.gif Ianto is half lab, so he can't help his food dependency. Tis genetic lol.gif

Zena has now scooped up a crumbled-up slice of corned beef yay.gif She looked so grateful, bless her, not just because she's clearly hungry, but because there was no scary dish. I dug an old sheet out to throw down on the patio, and I have 2 or 3 I can use for this.

Bought them a treat at the butchers - breast of lamb, rolled and stuffed with kidney. Will cut hers into chunks and scatter, so I'm keeping everything crossed. Ianto will have his under lock and key indoors lol.gif
+Quote Post
celia
post 29th Mar 2012, 2:50 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Glad to hear Zena is eating again smile.gif

Now if you can just advise me how to convince Barney that there is not a plague of toads in my kitchen............................ rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Zena's Pet
post 29th Mar 2012, 3:04 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(celia @ 29th Mar 2012, 3:50 pm) *

Glad to hear Zena is eating again smile.gif

Now if you can just advise me how to convince Barney that there is not a plague of toads in my kitchen............................ rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I wish I could help! I could try sending you the plague of wasps I'm suffering with at the moment and see if that takes his mind off the toads? Maybe not unsure.gif
+Quote Post
celia
post 29th Mar 2012, 3:10 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

No no no lol.gif
+Quote Post
HoopZ
post 29th Mar 2012, 4:11 pm
Post #15

Member No.: 51012

A friend of mine has a dog that won't eat from a bowl and tried loads of different bowls, tea trays etc.
She now uses a boot tray similar to this and it seems to have worked.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 2:59 am