IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grown Up Dogs
Beaky
post 28th Mar 2012, 9:45 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 7520

In the last 3 - 6 months someone has taken Sasha and replaced her with one that, well, seems normal unsure.gif

At 9/10 I thought she'd never really grow up now. Dogs tend to mature at 5 - 7 in my experience. We never experienced that lol.gif

I've noticed this most at agility, but only because that's the only formal training I do now - we don't really do much in the way of obedience, other than daily manners things.

At agility she's focused, attentive, responsive - everything that 'normal' dogs are lol.gif Don't get me wrong, she's always loved it, but she's loved it a bit. Too. Much. For the joy of the doing, rather than the willingness to work for me lol.gif

We've just competed over the last three weekends. We've brought home two second places (agility) and three clears (steeplechases). What has happened to the dog that, after four years of competition, could still get E'd multiple times on one course? yikes.gif lol.gif

She's a joy to run now...most of the time. She still has her moments of madness and idiocy.

I've also noticed it at home. She's a lot more attentive, bordering on clingy when we're home and generally seems to like us, rather than tolerate us.

Has anyone else's very wayward dog just suddenly grown up?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
celia
post 28th Mar 2012, 10:37 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

Beth has, a lot. She is either 10 now, or 9 or, 8 and a half . Whatever, she is an awful lot calmer when out and generally a more sensible girl. She was always very smart and a dream to own apart from legging it to chase stuff but now she has sorted that and I can't remember the last time I had to whistle her back to me. She has also grown a new coat and face (sprout alike) and last year for the first time ever her fur seemed sufficient for the weather.
+Quote Post
Beaky
post 28th Mar 2012, 5:11 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 7520

Aww Beff wub.gif I remember when she went up for homing - she was Sky wasn't she? The 'most homeable dog in the world'?

Sasha's coat has got thicker too. She used to be hound like but now it's quite a bit thicker on her legs and flank. She's always had a mane.

It's just like she's grown up a bit and seems a bit more mature. She's good at lulling me into a false sense of security mind lol.gif She'll probably be back to normal Sasha next week.
+Quote Post
celia
post 29th Mar 2012, 7:16 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

Yes, she was Sky and that was her slogan . smile.gif

I felt honoured to have her and still do, she is a very clever, loving little poppet with a great line in mimicry , and some very odd ways. She has become quite the haughty madam now she is grown up and kicks OH if his tummy tickling falls below par. wub.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 3:04 am