2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Really Upset
alihud
post 28th Mar 2012, 8:58 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 586

Hello there sorry its me again. I am having so much difficulty in making a decision about my dogs. I am also beside myself and also very very poorly.
I have just got to have a rant and I hope nobody minds and I hope you understand.
My dogs mean the absolute world to me. I have 5. My ex husband took my two dogs when we divorced and it was heart breaking. So I have ended up rescuing 5 because it has given me such pleasure. Yes it has been challenging but I had my own business where I took the dogs every day until I had to close it when I became very ill 3 years ago. Unfortunately I have this illness for life and now I've developed another one. The dogs have kept me going,making me go out every day getting fresh air and giving me the exercise I need. But having 5 has taken its toll on me and also on them as since I have been unwell they have developed behavioural problems. Have tried to get this sorted but I became even more unwell.
So now I am at this crossroads and I do not know which way to go. Here are my options.
I have been offered for my japanese spitz to go into a breed rescue for a while to see if I improve and she will do some training with him. If I feel I cannot have him back she will find a good home for him.
My whippet lurcher who is my other high energy dog comes from a rescue but I have spoken to them and they can only offer to re home her as they have no foster spaces. That is fair enough I understand that. I know rescues are fit to bursting. It's just the thought of letting 2 of my dogs go is so so painful,the thought I will never see them again sad.gif
My other 3 little dogs I can cope with as my kids can cope with walking them when I can't.
Another thing that has happened that because they are so dog reactive I had found a wonderful place to walk them which was perfect for us,it was an old disused golf course and it's beautiful over there,it means a lot to me but yesterday I found out its been bought by someone and they have shut the whole place off!! I was really upset as it felt like another blow.
To be honest it all just feels too much,I am so tired and worn out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
algernonfatpants
post 28th Mar 2012, 9:16 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 36805

hug.gif Sometimes things are soooo overwhelming, dont beat yourself up to much, take the offer of the rescue places it will be hard but im sure theyll get lovely homes and be loved and adored, you need to consider yourself too.
+Quote Post
alpha female
post 28th Mar 2012, 9:27 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 45751

Firstly - hug.gif

Secondly - as hard as it is, the offer of rescue space (and training) for 2 of your dogs sounds like a doGsend for you right now. I know we all understand how heartbreaking making the decision is for you, and my heart goes out to you for being in this position, but the one consolation is that you would be doing the best thing you can do for those 2 dogs, right now, given your current circumstances. You'll always miss them, but they will have been given an excellent chance of finding another home.

Thirdly - another hug.gif for the loss of your lovely, safe walk.
+Quote Post
coinsky
post 28th Mar 2012, 10:42 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 14818

I am so sorry you are going through all this and can understand your heartbreak. sad.gif

I'm not sure if you have already tried this but could you put out a plea for a foster place for them until you feel better?

Maybe someone who would like a dog but can't have one long term because they are moving away in a year etc

Or have you tried putting some adverts in for someone to help walk them? There was an ad in my local Sainsburys where someone who has just retired was offering to walk a dog for free....

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 28th Mar 2012, 11:11 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(coinsky @ 28th Mar 2012, 10:42 am) *

I'm not sure if you have already tried this but could you put out a plea for a foster place for them until you feel better?

That's an excellent idea smile.gif
+Quote Post
alihud
post 28th Mar 2012, 11:21 am
Post #6

I thought it might be a bit of a cheek to ask for temporary foster with so many dogs in dire need. Well that's what I was told when I spoke to bambis rescue,it was let her go permanently or deal with it basically. With my spitz the japane se spitz rescue have said they can take him for a while to let me get better and see how I feel with regards having him back. So I do have that option with him at least.
I do want everyone to know I am not a fair weather dog owner as I hope you can tell from my posts. I want the best for my dogs,well what I really want is for me to get better and for all this to go away but it's not going to happen.
+Quote Post
aileen ainsworth
post 28th Mar 2012, 12:22 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 22653

hug.gif hug.gif
+Quote Post
FeeFee
post 28th Mar 2012, 12:37 pm
Post #8

Group: Member.
Member No.: 11011

Rescues aren't generally able to provide temporary fostering. From their point of view it blocks a place with a dog that can't be rehomed for an indefinite period of time.

Have you tried PAPAS to see if they could help with temporary fostering for your whippet x?
http://www.papas.org.uk/

+Quote Post
jackied
post 28th Mar 2012, 1:15 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

Realistically, do you think you would be able to cope with them again fairly soon? If the answer is no, it might be fairer to the dogs to let the rescues rehome them. hug.gif This must be so hard for you, we can all tell how much you love the dogs and that don't want to let them go. sad.gif

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
alihud
post 28th Mar 2012, 1:24 pm
Post #10

Jackie the answer is no. I don't know what else to say. I have done my best I really have. Am going to call the rescues and start making arrangements. This is killing me dithering about thanks for your support everyone.
Ali
+Quote Post
Nina K
post 28th Mar 2012, 1:50 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 24023

First of all, a big hug.gif for you, your family and your dogs. I can only imagine how dreadful you must feel. I'm feeling tearful just thinking about what you are going through.

When you took the dogs in, you didn't know your circumstances would change so much. You have battled on as long as you could but you cannot cope any longer. There but for the grace of God go any one of us. sad.gif

You have given these dogs what they needed for the time you have had them. They will now move on to other loving homes where they will be loved and cared for. They will probably cope with the change a lot easier than you will. You are doing your best to ensure they find good homes by finding them rescue places. You cannot do better than that.

I have rehomed a small number of dogs over the years for family and acquaintances. However, as I fostered them all for a short time to assess them and find them the right homes, I thought of them as my own and, although all went to loving homes where they were well cared for, to this day I occasionally wonder about them, even though they will all be at Rainbow Bridge by now. If you care and love them, they will take a piece of your heart with them. Let them go, knowing you are doing what is best for them in the long run.

We all understand your sense of loss and are here to support you. hug.gif

+Quote Post
algernonfatpants
post 28th Mar 2012, 4:46 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 36805

It is a horrid situation and i really feel for you, but your dogs will always love and will know happiness in another homex you poor thing though.
+Quote Post
Nina K
post 31st Mar 2012, 7:39 am
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 24023

How are you doing?

hug.gif
+Quote Post
Lottesmummy
post 31st Mar 2012, 7:44 am
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 10887

I so wish I could help. Normally, I would have said, one or two could come and join in with mine for a while, but my situation is far from 'normal' ATM. sad.gif

Are there any DogPages people near you who could perhaps help out for a while? unsure.gif

hug.gif hug.gif

+Quote Post
coinsky
post 31st Mar 2012, 7:55 am
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 14818

Had another thought that might be totally rubbish so feel free to ignore!

I'm not sure what your health problems are exactly but if you are having to rehome your babies just on the lack of exercise front, could you maybe get one of those motorised buggy things (not sure what they are called rolleyes.gif )

There is a man that rides one of them and his lab runs alongside, even on pavements it seems to go fast enough that the lab has to keep up a good trot.

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 10:42 pm