IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excuses For Why People Can't Control Their Dogs!
celia
post 27th Mar 2012, 10:57 am
Post #46

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 7184

You get excuses ! ohmy.gif I understand things happen but an excuse would be a bonus for us . An apology and a question about why we don't welcome intruders would be perfect. smile.gif

Yesterday a woman stood several hundred yards away while her intact male terrier harrassed Beth who asked him to bog off nicely, they had done a nice hello and that was all she wanted, she kept removing herself from the situation and lying down. Bored with that he came over to on lead Barney and followed us for a another hundred yards , despite Barney's impression of a very cross wolf. Owner just stood and watched.

Eventually he ran off, because he had spotted 2 adults a child and 5 dogs in a group. He harrassed them instead and guess what, she just stood and watched that too. As did everyone else in the park because the noise of the dogs was quite something. One of the bunch of 5 has issues himself and he kept chasing off the interloper , the people tried standing still with their dogs around them , they tried chucking balls , they tried telling the dog to go away , nothing worked for about 10 minutes. When he did rejoin his owner she didn't put him on lead, she had made no move to fetch her dog, she didn't speak with the other people , she didn't make a move towards them just walked him into the car park and he mooched about under cars , he was about daschhound size and the car park gets busy. She was collecting fir cones I think oblivious to what her tiny dog was doing and the danger of him getting squashed. I have no idea what was going through her head while she stood and watched 5 larger dogs get increasingly wound up by her little chaps rudeness.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 27th Mar 2012, 11:45 am
Post #47

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I think some people are just either clueless or plain stupid. There's a bloke who walks a large shar pei cross (maybe with american bulldog? Got that sort of body), the dog isn't unpleasant but it is in serious need of the snip and it's obsessed with one particular labrador. Makes a beeline for him as soon as he's in sight and will NOT leave him alone no matter what - even on lead he will try and drag his owner over to hump the poor lab. Very soon the lab is going to really lose his temper and do damage I think err.gif And I suspect the humper will retaliate. It's an injury waiting to happen and no-one does anything about it. Except me - if he just stands there watching his dog p1ssing Archie off again, as he does, I will be removing his dog, handing it back and telling him exactly what's going to happen between the dogs if he doesn't get some control. And threatening reporting him to the dog warden - it's been done about another dog recently (FA GSD who's owner thinks it's funny when he freaks and goes for other dogs) and it did the trick.

Going back on topic tongue.gif An apology would be lovely sometimes! There's a little terrier I've mentioned on the 'losing your rag' thread I think, twice now he's come charging over and ignored his owners' frankly pathetic attempts at recall, preferring to run circles round my lot and wind them up. Wasn't so bad last time, first time Tia was in pain and couldn't run after him and was getting very upset. Not a peep when they finally did get him back, either time. However I know the person who trained recall with them last year (which they've not bothered to continue), and so they know I am annoyed because I told the trainer and she went round to see them.

And a while back, a whippet that should not have been off lead (as it's known not to be good with dogs) chased Raine all the way back to the car park - I think it gave up when she hid behind my car. She is now extremely fearful of dogs chasing her and will freak out if one just sniffs her bum err.gif This morning she was happy sniffing a bit of grass when a dog appeared behind the chain fence next to her - she just bolted sad.gif And again there, no apology from the whippet's owners. Although I'm pretty sure they know I was angry by the way I bellowed at them afterwards!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mokee
post 27th Mar 2012, 5:47 pm
Post #48

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(Trailhoundann @ 27th Mar 2012, 9:27 am) *

This thread makes me so glad I don't (as far as I know lol) walk my dogs anywhere any of you because I am afraid I am much less than perfect lol.gif Hangs head in shame and wonders whether she should have dogs at all lol.gif

Perfect? If you'd met me and my dogs you'd know we're nowhere near:

Lincoln's recall is still only at about 90%, he won't come back if something really exciting catches his eye or if he gets too far from me - if I didn't have tasty treats with me I'm afraid he'd barely come back at all.

Libby has dementia and comes back when she remembers who I am, or sometimes who she is!

Tarry is deaf and comes back when she notices me standing like an idiot in the middle of the park with my arms wide open waving at her.

Skittle bites children - Skittle can never, ever go off the lead safely unless we're in a completely child-free area, and even then I have to scan the area constantly just incase.

I'm just very lucky that around here the vast majority of dog walkers are very sensible and tolerant of dogs with issues, dogs that are just friendly, just saying hello, or sometimes just taking a chunk out of their dog. We only come across complete idiots like the ones I posted about earlier once in a blue moon.

Or perhaps I'm the idiot with the uncontrollable dogs that everybody else moans about unsure.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Fever
post 27th Mar 2012, 5:55 pm
Post #49

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

QUOTE(mokee @ 27th Mar 2012, 6:47 pm) *

Perfect? If you'd met me and my dogs you'd know we're nowhere near:

Lincoln's recall is still only at about 90%, he won't come back if something really exciting catches his eye or if he gets too far from me - if I didn't have tasty treats with me I'm afraid he'd barely come back at all.

Libby has dementia and comes back when she remembers who I am, or sometimes who she is!

Tarry is deaf and comes back when she notices me standing like an idiot in the middle of the park with my arms wide open waving at her.

Skittle bites children - Skittle can never, ever go off the lead safely unless we're in a completely child-free area, and even then I have to scan the area constantly just incase.

I'm just very lucky that around here the vast majority of dog walkers are very sensible and tolerant of dogs with issues, dogs that are just friendly, just saying hello, or sometimes just taking a chunk out of their dog. We only come across complete idiots like the ones I posted about earlier once in a blue moon.

Or perhaps I'm the idiot with the uncontrollable dogs that everybody else moans about unsure.gif

I'm sure you're not! My male (entire) is less than perfect and his recall is roughly 95%. Much improved from what he was though and he doesn't hump, just a bit of a space invader - rude and pushy sometimes. I always apologise and tell them it's because he's an idiot.

I get fewer apologies though when he is hassled on lead, which he really does not like at all. People think I am being unfriendly because I walk off rapidly, but it's all I can do as he really does not want to be approached while on lead, and growls. I can't use a distraction such as a toy or treat because then he gets really possessive about it and is much more likely to snap at the intruder.

Thank heaven for my little collie cross bitch: she just circles around keeping a sensible distance and rejoins us when the fuss has died down.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 11:42 am