IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things To Do With Tekno On A Walk, to stop him running for home
EmCHammer
post 25th Mar 2012, 3:31 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22501

Some may remember that I have an ongoing problem with tekno in that as soon as you are in the direction of home, he sets out at a fair trot for home. He will get a certain way ahead and stop and wait, then set off again at a determined trot. He will alway stop and wait if you ask him to, he is excellent at this, and its never been a danger in that he just legs it for home.

I once was going to start running and he loved that me keeping up with his determined pace!

I puzzle and try to work out the reason but I am never quite sure (more below) so thought instead of worrying about it all the time why not think of ways to make me more interesting so he wants to come back and be with me and what I am doing.

(he started stopping on walks and always wanting to take the short cut home, this escalated and we found out he had a spinal mini stroke and a brain tumour. he had treatment for both and when he got walking again it was summer and his greed and obsession with food seemed to escalate afterwards.. the main park we walk in is hellish for litter and rubbish in the summer). Sometimes if you try to walk him in a different part of the park he will just stop point blank, but is quite happy to do the walk for the same distance in the other direction, wehre there are skankable delights aplenty). I don't know if he learnt that stopping would make us take him back combined with going back always means to the favourite bit of the park? On the walk he has to inspect every single bit of litter, he still remembers now finding donuts in the river six months ago and has to go and check it out every day just in case.

He is always keen to go out, but just as soon as you turn for home, the trot starts and gets faster and faster. When I posted about this before it seemed very common in older dogs with maybe dementia type symptoms (which he hasn't but he has got brain lesions from an accident, a brain tumour and has had radiation on his brain so something is probably not quite right in there!)

The simple answer is to keep him on the lead I know - problem solved, but he doesn't like it and he is DA on the lead, his DA has improved so much over the past year that he has a few friends and is much nicer to leave him off to say hello to dogs; on the lead he will try and leap on them if they come up and in a busy park is much harder work and would probably set him back.

Anyway the long and the short of it is I want to try and think of training activities and things we can do to make being with me a fun option too! and after ideas.

I am currently teaching him to walk between my legs HTM style; we do waits, heels and recalls, but he knows all that already....

Since his tumour he has no interested in balls or toys on a walk (he used to be ball obsessed before )

We have tried the OH hiding and going to find him (wasn't a great success but maybe need to do it easier at first)

The best thing we have done is I scatter some food and make him sniff it out; but he is incredibly carp at this lol - he can sniff out a bit of mouldy bread someone has put out for the ducks from miles away, but a bit of smelly treat, he can sniff past it three inches away and miss it! is there a good way to train this type of thing?

Other suggestions more than welcome please!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post 26th Mar 2012, 6:44 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 2829

Wow Tekno's been through a lot, hasn't he?

We may need a piccie wink.gif

I like the finding your OH game, perhaps as you say, you could try making it easier to see if he gets more into it.

I would have suggested scenting games too, smile.gif

It may help to see if the breeze is in a certain direction, as if it is blowing scent towards Tekno, that will be helpful for him finding the food treat. And mind out for putting the food into places where the scent might be hidden due to it being in a slight dip or something in front of it ....

Do you let him watch you put the food out? as often that can help to start with, then when the dog starts to find is easier and becomes more successful, you can do it more surreptitiously smile.gif
+Quote Post
bulldozer
post 26th Mar 2012, 7:35 am
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 35806

What about tracking?
I don't know much about it, but i'm sure if your interested someone else on here will help you out.

My girls love doing tricks when we are out on walks, Beryl especially tongue.gif

We do weaves through the legs, twist & twirl, creep (crawl along the ground commando stylee), jumping over things, which could be my leg, arm a log or Betty smile.gif
The list goes on...............
+Quote Post
EmCHammer
post 26th Mar 2012, 9:10 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Tekno is a very brave boy... he had an accident when he was about two where he ran into a post and had a head trauma (which left him with brain lesions), caused spine damage in his neck and broke his nose. He was paralysed from the neck down and was touch and go. He made an amazing recovery but they weren't sure what his long term future would be with his spine damage (he has nerve damage on left side but doesn't hold him back too often) and the disc leaks stuff as we found out.

No one was expecting the brain tumour, which we started to see the symptoms when he was only 4

The vets have said 15 months post radiotherapy for a brain tumour of this type is really good - he is six and a bit now and is starting to get some grey hairs on his muzzle - something I never thought we would see.

When I type it out suppose reminds me of how poorly he has been, and how he might be allowed to be a bit odd and quiet at times!

+Quote Post
EmCHammer
post 26th Mar 2012, 9:44 am
Post #5

Group Icon

The tracking and sniffing games I think he would like.
+Quote Post
remedios
post 26th Mar 2012, 10:37 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 49923

He is beautiful wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif I do adore that colouring (but don't tell Busta cos he thinks white is my favourite!)

I would add though, that Busta is exactly the same when it comes to sniffing out freshly chucked treats, and yet he will drag me into the gutter to get the half inch square of manky sandwich crust thats been laying there all night.....

+Quote Post
Lindsay
post 26th Mar 2012, 11:25 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 2829

QUOTE(EmCHammer @ 26th Mar 2012, 10:10 am) *

Tekno is a very brave boy... ...........on his muzzle - something I never thought we would see.

When I type it out suppose reminds me of how poorly he has been, and how he might be allowed to be a bit odd and quiet at times!

Oh Tekno, you really have been in the wars, but to look at your gorgeous face, no-one would even realise wub.gif wub.gif

Thanks for the piccie ok.gif

Lindsay
x
+Quote Post
celia
post 26th Mar 2012, 2:42 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

I stick kibble in a bag along with chopped up bits of other stuff. Today I had a fragment of fish left over from the weekend and I added that. Fish has a very strong smell as you know and that might help Teckno find with greater success.
I use chucking food to direct Barney around other dogs and sometimes, if he is more taken with worry, he misses the spot so I help him find it and then sort of stand with my feet in first position (if you know ballet) which is heels together toes pointing out like a fan shape. That might help him in the early stages of sniffing things out.
Also by chopping and changing what is in the bag it is always a bit of a surprise and usually more interesting that litter, mouldy bread and other very fascinating things. rolleyes.gif

Just wanted to add I have followed Teckno's trials from the start of his accident and had always visualized him exactly as he looks, handsome and serious . wub.gif He is beautiful.
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 26th Mar 2012, 3:22 pm
Post #9

Member No.: 54116

I love Tekno too - beautiful face.

My dog (very intelligent bc apparently) was so ridiculously stupid about finding treats. But we did build it up - make it really really easy so he doesn't just give up. Put it a couple of inches from his foot then "find!" and then a bit further away - "find" etc. You can then build this up so that the dog will be hunting about for a goodly time. Mine couldn't do it at all but building it up (Karen advised on that) and he got it. He can now find a ball or a stick etc too and will spend a nice long time looking.

I'm thinking - if he knows that he found food in places before - could you almost build up to setting him a nice trail - like he always finds a piece of whatever in a particular spot etc. Or could you have it so that there are particular places you do this game on your way home so he is keen to hang about more.

It might be that he knows you are going home and something just puts him on the path and that's what he does and maybe that determinedness is to do with his brain troubles. But perhaps if he is quite routinised and knows you play food games in various locations- he will divert to those locations on the way home and that could stop him being quite so one-track.

WIth my dog he has football spots. And even if he gets a fright earlier - later on he will often turn and beg for football at the next football spot. It is routine and familiarity which is a comfort to them I think.
+Quote Post
EmCHammer
post 26th Mar 2012, 4:16 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

He does like his routines.

He is funny in that when you come out the house, if you go straight on it leads to his favourite bit of the park, but if you turn right can go to the nicer (to me) bit. He will dig his feet in if you try to make him go right most of the time yet is quite happy to go straight on.

I have given up wondering if its his brain, his greed and learnt behaviour or a combination of both.

On our walks he often doesn't sniff its just his trot round all his checkpoints or anything different to see if its food, he really is very greedy and eats some horrible things.

Sometimes I feel that he doesn't enjoy his walks or is it that he doesn't enjoy them like I think a dog should do, like pudding racing bout, sniffing, rolling, playing etc but he is always keen to go out and doesn't stop and baulk on his faviourite walks or try and take shortcuts any more like when he was ill (his two favourite walks are same walk but clockwise and anti-clockwise).

He used to be really good at finding a ball in the long grass especially if mums dog was here too and it was a bit more competitative.

I will make the find it games a bit easier, I let him watch where I put it (and half the time he starts sniffing somewhere else doh!). Pointing seems to work for him too he recognises that.

Anyone got any ideas about tricks to learn too?
+Quote Post
celia
post 26th Mar 2012, 5:31 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

Beth actually does a similar thing on one particular walk. There are2 fields that we are only allowed to go round in a particular direction and even then when we emerge at a certain point she heads for the exit. I have no idea why she does this, and it was only when the fields looked different under snow that we were permitted to wander about, otherwise she just high-tails it for the gate and waits to be put on lead. If we start at another point she still wants to go round clockwise only . rolleyes.gif

Could it be that the part of his brain that processes smells has been affected by his tumour or injuries? unsure.gif
+Quote Post
HoopZ
post 26th Mar 2012, 5:36 pm
Post #12

Member No.: 51012

Nothing constructive to add I'm afraid but what a handsome boy you have. wub.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 7:03 am