IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Humping Problem
nicola31
post 25th Mar 2012, 8:31 am
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 31423

Hi carolynleah, yes I saw you, Billy wasn't happy when he saw Jasper. Sorry I didn't notice you waving otherwise I would have waved back.

I noticed yesterday that as Billy was quite tired after our frolic over the field and the clicker training in the house that he was a lot calmer, today I am going to take him out in the car and try to find somewhere quite where we can just walk and forget about everything else (easier said than done but I am sure there must be somewhere).

The field will have cows in soon so I need to find somewhere else for the summer months anyway.

On a plus note, in the back garden I have been putting him on the long line when the sheep are in the field at the back and clicking and treating any non reaction and for two days we haven't had any charging of the fence.

I also scatter kibble or treats out in the garden quite often as I find this helps distract him from the sheep or anything else going past.

Also I have heard back from my trainer and will be looking to do a couple more 1-2-1 session with her soon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 25th Mar 2012, 12:33 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

I hope you have a good walk today smile.gif I will be sorry when the cows are back in the big field, Will is fine off lead there - I just make sure we don't go too close to the cows - but Nerys tends to bark if she sees them. I can always take Nerys to play ball on the school field smile.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nicola31
post 25th Mar 2012, 3:15 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 31423

Well we didn't go out in the car, I thought I might be pushing my luck to find somewhere quiet on such a lovely day.

However, we went in to the field and went to bits we have not been before and Billy had cobs of fun in the muddy areas and was up to his elbows!!

He carried his rope ball and looked confused when i got another out of my pocket but he wasn't keen to chase either, so we played some tug instead.

I had no expectations and relaxed, he checked in with me a few times and occasionally he was walking within about 3 ft of me, so lots of praise for this.

He then slept the rest of the morning and in to the afternoon. This afternoon we have done some clicker work with the sheep, through the window and outside in the garden. I have also printed off the relaxation protocol I found on line, so we did day one of this in the study. Then we did some tug interspersed with impulse control whilst I drop it a few feet away, release him and tug again.

Then it was back to sleep and he is just about coming to now, just in time for tea rolleyes.gif . Definately a tired dog and he hasn't followed me about all day. I just can't believe I got it so wrong, I have been so engrossed in getting polite lead walking and perfect behaviour that I have forgotten to have fun with Billy, that definately changed today and I am reaping the rewards.

Onwards and upwards, thank you to all, I am sure his humping will reduce as he can't do that if he is snoring like an old man lol.gif

+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 25th Mar 2012, 4:33 pm
Post #19

Group: Member
Member No.: 54116

I have forgotten to have fun with Billy, that definately changed today and I am reaping the rewards.

Oh wow - this made made me feel very moved. Yay to you both! I know exactly what you mean. You can get so focussed that you can forget to relax and enjoy your dog. And actually I've found the enjoying yourself with the dog thing is the most important thing for making that bond and for getting them to "work with you" - at least with my very playful collie dog anyway. He listens because we do games and any training I could put into the games in a fun way really stuck. All the boring training...well what can I say - I haven't got a brilliant heel on the day to this day because we both got bored. But I have a class emergency down because I was able to stick it in a ball game for him.

But - beyond training, I just think it's the whole point, isn't it? Enjoyng your dog. And the way you find out about them and the way everything gets easier.
Sounds like he had a lovely day too. And you sound really happy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 4:16 am