Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fostering Or A Forever Home?
Boudee
post 12th Mar 2012, 11:27 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 33931

Hello

I have popped back on here to have a think about what to do next, let me explain, i got a dog from here after losing my two dogs in the same year and was given oliver (was jake) a border terrior with a rather quirkie face, he had been used for breeding and when i got him he sat in corners on his own facing the wall, he only knew how to eat soft food, did not play and could not walk more than a few feet with out collapsing, he was scared of everything and sometimes bit my youngest child, he could not stand to be near anyone and it was like there was no one at home but after much care and love he's now an amazing dog who plays with socks haha (bit of a pain as you can imagine) he no longer bites and runs across the fields like no ones business though he's getting a bit grumpy sometimes with dogs that won't leave him alone

I was told not to get another dog because he gets so anxious and he was an anxious baby, licking manicly and never being able to take fuss with out getting in a latha and he chewed metal, I guess he was kept behind a metal fence? he was scared to come through doors and would shiver and cower when you let him out because he felt he could not come back in, he still has a tiny problem now but he knows his bad life is well and truly behind him, anyway later on I found out about a tea pot Yorkshire terrior who had been thrown out with some big dogs because she was incontinant, with much wangling i was given the dog and though she was only a pound in weight and the vet said no more than two weeks off dying left in those conditions she is now a healthy 5 pound in weight though her loss of cartlidge has left her rather stiff from when she was waisting away, both dogs love each other very much and are doing amazingly well though both old we believe, i have had them just over three years

Right my point is I keep thinking about getting another dog because we live in the country, we have fields all around and it's dogs heaven and i know there are so many that need a home, this then led me to think of all of the pro's and cons and one of the cons was the finantial side of it, vets bills, so then i thought you know maybe i could foster, I used to work in kennals and I also was trained as an animal welfare assistant and used to foster the kittens in the blue cross, i have enough knowledge to be able to take on dogs that have had a hard life i think though not the finances, the other thing i concidered would be to take on an old one where the vets bills are took care off, so the long and the short of it is I have a home and room for one more but not the finances if i was to stay sensible though I know you always find the money as i always have

I have two children, one is 11 and the other nearly 13

Bonny is tiny so a greyhound would not be a good idea at all, I have a partner who walks the dogs with me and we have both discussed this

so................your thoughts people?

Lincolnshire

ps please excuse my spelling, I seem to have lost my spell check
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Boudee
post 12th Mar 2012, 11:35 am
Post #2

QUOTE(dawnmb @ 2nd Mar 2012, 9:58 am) *

Hi guys,

I am looking for a foster home for a 12-13 year old Westie girl who is blind. She has *some* but not much sight. We are taking 4 dogs on Monday from the same home, as elderly owner has gone into care.

ANother older cairn girl has cushings, I have her foster home sorted (Thank you Catherine wink.gif )

The other 2 dogs are younger (7 and 9) and healthy, so will be fine in kennels. smile.gif

She is spayed and fully vac'd. smile.gif She is also used to (obviously) other dogs and older kids (grandkids)

I will be putting her up for adoption-so hopefully, this will not be a long term foster situation. smile.gif

Looking about the forum there are a few dogs that i would be able foster, the older ones for sure, does someone want to come and do a home check?
+Quote Post
cindere528
post 12th Mar 2012, 1:38 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 5946

QUOTE(Boudee @ 12th Mar 2012, 11:35 am) *

Looking about the forum there are a few dogs that i would be able foster, the older ones for sure, does someone want to come and do a home check?

You will need to apply to the individual rescues to become an approved fosterer. They all have their own requirements, so you will need to fill in forms for all of the ones you are interested in.

Good luck ok.gif
+Quote Post
Boudee
post 12th Mar 2012, 1:44 pm
Post #4

thank you for your reply, I've spoke to someone and left a message with another, seems the lady i just spoke to i got one of my dogs from anyway smile.gif I have decided fostering is what i would like to do wub.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 2:17 am