IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teaching A New Name
ChrissyBob
post 6th Mar 2012, 9:14 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 42065

My lovely new foster boy arrived on Sunday - and he is a gem. He sits, gives his paw, knows down and rollover and will go back if told. The only 'problem' I have with him is that he doesn't respond to his name at all.

He was found abandoned a few weeks ago so his name is new to him - but he takes absolutely no notice of it. I I try walking round ignoring him and then call his name and with a treat ready if he responds - but he just ignores me. He is called Ben - which I find a bit hard to call in an 'excited' way - always ends up sounds like a squeal or a command rolleyes.gif

I know this is really early days with him - just want to make sure I am starting off on the right foot with him.
Any advice would be much appreciated smile.gif smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 6th Mar 2012, 9:22 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51601

Do you want him to be called Ben? You might try making random consonant noises, see which one he takes
notice of and use a name that starts with that? Otherwise time and patience, use the name to call him for food, cuddles, anything he likes and he will catch on. Keep in mind that dogs probably don't know that their name is their name in the same way that humans do....
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 6th Mar 2012, 10:45 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 10491

You could use Benny
+Quote Post
Jo@thewilderness
post 7th Mar 2012, 5:33 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 35226

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 6th Mar 2012, 11:45 pm) *

You could use Benny

Or BenBen or Benjamin

I've never had a problem with a dog learning a new name. Training goes something like this.

Welcome to your new home/foster home. We have no idea what you name was but this will be your new one. I will sit on the sofa and shovel these tasty sausages/ham/leftover bits of takeaway/fish fingers into you. If you are weird I will throw this toy for you...

Say name, shovel. Say name, shovel. Repeat until dog starts to respond.

The most memorable one was a dog who had previously been called Spot. I renamed him lucky Jim. He learnt his name for a share of my prawn crackers from the take out I picked up on the journey home from collecting him lol.gif

+Quote Post
woofgang
post 7th Mar 2012, 7:35 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

QUOTE(Jo@thewilderness @ 7th Mar 2012, 5:33 am) *

Or BenBen or Benjamin

I've never had a problem with a dog learning a new name. Training goes something like this.

Welcome to your new home/foster home. We have no idea what you name was but this will be your new one. I will sit on the sofa and shovel these tasty sausages/ham/leftover bits of takeaway/fish fingers into you. If you are weird I will throw this toy for you...

Say name, shovel. Say name, shovel. Repeat until dog starts to respond.

The most memorable one was a dog who had previously been called Spot. I renamed him lucky Jim. He learnt his name for a share of my prawn crackers from the take out I picked up on the journey home from collecting him lol.gif

MT DH taught our first dog to catch in 20 minutes using a pound of cheddar cheese...the ensuing runny bot was spectacular lol.gif
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 7th Mar 2012, 9:20 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(woofgang @ 7th Mar 2012, 7:35 am) *

MT DH taught our first dog to catch in 20 minutes using a pound of cheddar cheese...the ensuing runny bot was spectacular lol.gif

lol.gif

What Jo describes is how I've taught all my dogs their names, whether from the start with Remy and Opi, or with new names with everyone except Soli and Tia.

Just name+shovel, name+shovel, name+shovel and before long they start to twig smile.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pangolin
post 7th Mar 2012, 9:27 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

Think of a dog's name as a command and teach it like you'd teach a puppy sit, down, settle, etc.
What do you want the dog to do when you use its name? I would say the default behaviour is probably for it to look at you, so you could just treat it as you would the "watch me" command.
I agree that adding an extra syllable might help, dogs do seem to 'get' names with two sylables a bit better (and easier to say them in a more sing-song-y way), so Benny, BenBen, Benjy, etc.

This post has been edited by pangolin: 7th Mar 2012, 9:28 am
+Quote Post
ChrissyBob
post 7th Mar 2012, 11:33 am
Post #8

Member No.: 42065

Thanks guys smile.gif

Got my shovel ready - working on BenBen - seems to suit him smile.gif smile.gif
I'll let you know how I get on wink.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 7th Mar 2012, 11:35 am
Post #9

Member No.: 10491

Murphy has several names

Murphy, Murf, Murfles, Murfmurf.

+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 7th Mar 2012, 1:18 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 4804

My dogs thinks their name is Sausages. lol.gif

Just sit or stand near him say ben ben or whatever and give him the really tasty treat and repeat , he doesn't have to do anything to earn it , he just has to make the association . It doesn't usally take long.

Ali
+Quote Post
Ragsysmum
post 7th Mar 2012, 2:51 pm
Post #11

Member No.: 13308

Our new boy Flash only responds to 'Good lad'.... but as that's what he is, he does tend to hear it a lot! lol.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 7:35 am