IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Important

This forum is for rehoming by experienced and reputable rescues (or on their behalf with their full knowledge and agreement) which will nornally mean those listed on the www.dogpages.org.uk website. Please ensure that the name of the rescue is within the post. There is a separate forum below for private re-homings. Please contact a moderator for help or clarification.

Photos can be loaded directly to the Dogpages server. See here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Dylan - 4 Year Old Lurcher (bridgend), Hope Rescue
kilmousk
post 5th Mar 2012, 12:21 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Dylan is a 4 nearly 5 year old lurcher and is currently on foster in Bridgend, South Wales.

The Dylan Fact File

Dog status: Very good
Cat status: Cannot be rehomed with cats or small animals.
Child status: Good. Could be rehomed with children aged 6 years +
House training: Perfect
Home alone: Happy to be left for a while if he has had a walk. Could potentially live with a full time worker with a break in the middle of the day and enough mental stimulation at other times.
Basic training: Lovely on the lead, knows to sit and has good recall when there are no distractions.

Dylan is a little bit like a super hero. One minute he is the mild mannered Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent in the house and on the lead. Then get him outside and off the lead and Bam! you have yourself a batman or superman kind of guy. Is it a bird? No, is is a plane? No.....its a big tan lurcher running at full speed
So don't be fooled by this couch potato, lounge-about-the-house-and-snooze-all-day attitude. Underneath the facade of calm he is plotting his next blast off the lead and cheeky shenanigan.

Dylan will be looking for a new owner who has owned sighthounds and or lurchers before and understands their ways. He has a strong chase instinct which cannot be switched off at the whim of a human. His desire and drive to chase is programmed into his DNA and we cannot ignore it.
For this reason we will not rehome him where there are cats, small animals or small dogs in the home.

Dylan does have good recall when there are no distractions, however, the sort of things that would distract him cannot be anticipated or prepared for. He will need an owner who can take great care about when to let him off the lead and he should be muzzled for safety. If he goes to a new home with other sighthounds, lurchers or dogs with a high chase drive he should be let off lead on his own as he is easily led astray and egged on by the presence of others when running.

Dylan is living with other dogs in his foster home and gets along with them well. However, he would also suit a home as the only dog. He does value a rawhide chew highly and can grumble at other dogs when he has one (although not people).

Dylan loves people and is very easy to live with. He is gentle and friendly with all he meets, even the vet and is very easy to handle. He is good with children and could be rehomed with children over 6 years.

*Please note we do not rehome dogs where they will be worked i.e. used to deliberately hunt other animals*

All Hope Rescue dogs are neutered, vaccinated, wormed, flea treated and microchipped prior to rehoming. A homecheck will be required, and you will need to come and meet the dog with your own dogs and family. Hope Rescue rehomes throughout the UK. A Pre-Home Interest Form can be downloaded from www.hoperescue.org.uk and should be returned to dogs@hoperescue.org.uk

--------------------
Kat
Rehoming Co-ordinator - Hope Rescue
Email - dogs@hoperescue.org.uk
www.hoperescue.org.uk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 28th Mar 2012, 10:29 am
Post #2

Group Icon

So, Dylan has been with us for four weeks now and he has slotted in perfectly! He is such an easy dog to have around the house and is very undemanding. He absolutely loves to sleep and in cosy places. By choice he is a real sofa dog but is happy to get off when told. We rarely find him lowering himself to laying on the floor though!!

Dylan is a very laid back sort of dog and we have seen no possessiveness of toys, treats/food or sofa. He can be a little shy in expressing his personality it we are seeing more of it everyday. I think he has been watching our greyhound Kevin play with his toys and every so often (when he thinks we are not looking!) we will catch him running round with one in his mouth.

Now the weather is warming up Dylan spends a lot of the day sleeping outside in the sunshine (while OH is inside working) and has encouraged Kevin to do so too! Obviously we have had to put a bed for him out there as he tried to snuggle into the garden furniture rain covers!

Dylan has such a lovely nature and is desperate for Kevin to do zoomies round the house with him. I think Kevin is starting to learn about play and getting there but still baffled by Dylan's play bows.

Here are some new pictures of him and we will be at Cardiff Bay pets at home today with him for the meet and greet!

Snuggling up to Kevin

Doing a classic forlorn face.

Rock climbing with some friends down the beach!

Some great pictures taken by a friend from a recent walk down the sand dunes.

Can you offer Dylan a home?

--------------------
Kat
www.hoperescue.org.uk
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 7th Apr 2012, 11:50 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

--------------------
Kat
www.hoperescue.org.uk
+Quote Post
beth524
post 28th Apr 2012, 5:41 pm
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 53923

Hello, Dylan here!

Just a little update about how I am getting on at my new foster home. So far I have had lots of fun and been on lots of adventures! At home I am still a very good boy and my foster people say that I am just perfect and 'low maintenance' whatever that is. In the daytime when foster daddy is at home working I like to go and lay on the concrete in the garden in the sunshine. I did a very good 'woe is me' face and foster daddy went and got me a bed to keep outside for sunbathing.

Inside I really do love the big chair that the foster people like to sit on in the evening. They don't mind letting me snuggle up as I can get very small...

Though I also love sitting on my foster people's shoulders for extra cosiness!

On weekends I have been taken to sit outside a place called Pets at Home where they have lots of food and bunnies! I am only allowed outside but I have been very friendly and allowed people to say hello to me and cuddle me. Lots of people say I look like a girl! Can you believe it?!?

On one special weekend I went on a big road trip in the car with all of my foster family to stay with some more of the foster family. We went to a big house where I got to prance around and chase Kevin which was fun. I even got to play chase me round the kitchen table which made me bark like a proper dog. Outside I got to go running off lead in their big field which had lots of sniffs. I tried to get Kevin to play but he told me off so I just did running around and then snoozing in the big grass.
Look at me running!

I like to have treats when I have been running as it makes the oomans feel like I want to come back. I don't mind a bit of bribery though.

I've got to go now to prepare for a beauty contest on Sunday. I will be receiving visitors on that day so bring gifts.

Just a last picture to remind you of my handsomeness...

A sneaky one of Dylan sporting the latest combover.

Just when I started to doubt Dylan's lordiness I come in the room to see this....
+Quote Post
Billy the Whippet
post 30th Apr 2012, 7:24 pm
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 17925

Good`luck Dylan wub.gif
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 20th May 2012, 12:35 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Another little update on Dylan.

He is coming along really well and is continuing to grow in confidence. Last weekend he spent the day in Margam park on a family day out with 7 adults and 6 children aged 2years to 8years old. He was completely relaxed around them as they played games in the grounds and spent most of the sitting down time snoozing. He even got to share some picnic and in true Dylan style he happily munched some sandwiches but left the crusts! Kevin soon hoovered them up though.

Today he has made me proud again and walked beautifully in a group of dogs down the sand dunes including two greyhounds, two collies, a Podenco and of course Kevin. Sometimes Dylan can be a bit shouty at strange dogs but he was very chilled out and just wanted to play, especially with the younger collie who was more obsessed with his stick!

--------------------
Kat
www.hoperescue.org.uk
+Quote Post
tigerseye
post 20th May 2012, 8:37 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22402

wub.gif Saluki lurchers make such wonderful pets, calm and zoomy in equal measure, soppy and goofy, and so beautiful with that lovely eyeliner (or guyliner in Dylan's case) wub.gif
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 7:33 pm